Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

ALL cats, including lions, tigers, leopards, and house cats sleep to conserve energy when not hunting. Fine for a wild cat that has to hunt to eat. Just habit for a house cat that only has to walk to kitchen when hungry.

Dogs have adapted to humans extremely well. Want proof. Drop food on the floor and then point to the food. The dog will get the message (and the food). The cat will look at you and wonder why you are standing like that. So a dog will be active if it feel like it (see Jack Russell) or just sit in your lap (see Newfoundland) depending on its mood, as it knows it is going to get dinner without hunting for it.

Ever notice how dog will follow children around who are eating? They know the food does not fall far from the kid, the smaller the kid the better ...

50d24f9d1525ad13bbdc1cac8e8e5bfb.jpg

close-up-of-young-girl-with-puppy-eating-ice-cream-cone-video-id261-32?s=640x640

getty_rm_photo_of_boy_sharing_lollipop_with_dog.jpg

Love the pictures! And, everything you've said is so true!!!

Wanted to pop by and thank everyone who help us with so much GREAT advice. We leave in 12 days and I'm feeling totally ready. We have all the paper work really to go, all of Tyr's supplies ready and 2sheet of "what to do" notes if things come up.

We also sent off an email to the Hotel Director on our upcoming cruise. It's about autism service dogs, what they do and how to behave around them. We have ask the information to shared on the cruise in the "daily freestyle". That way other passengers well know and understand why Lydia and Tyr are in the cruise together.

If you've ever wondered what a Autism Service Dog can do!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/109IpBT4nGM969MjhGmuBcKd4yZ0nhriOqKN_sL_r2F8

I also posted it on our CC RollCall and the response so far has been wonderful. So again thank you to everyone; your help and advice in preparing for your cruise has been immensely helpful!!!

-Joy

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

Joy, thank you so much for coming back and sharing your experience with us. Please don't forget to share your cruise with us, as well. We love to hear about everyone's adventures with their dogs and cruising.

I think what you did by alerting [pun intended] the Hotel Manager to Tyr's duties and requesting that they post it in their daily paper is a brilliant idea. Let us know how that goes too!

Have a wonderful cruise and don't forget to give yourselves lots of time to get from one place to another onboard and off. This will help to keep the frustration level down, when everyone wants to touch Tyr or talk to you.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

You forgot to add: "With a Service Dog!"

I have to fly next year and I'm NOT looking forward to it. I dread the whole flying experience with my dog. It's such a hassle!!!

We have never really had any problems flying with Orson. I do have

to say that the best airline so far has been Air Canada.

We have never really had any problems flying with Orson. I do have

to say that the best airline so far has been Air Canada.

Want to fly to me and come with me! As I get older the amount of "stuff" that I take with me when I travel seems to be getting more involved.

I do have to learn how to lighten my load!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Want to fly to me and come with me! As I get older the amount of "stuff" that I take with me when I travel seems to be getting more involved.

I do have to learn how to lighten my load!

I wish there was a way to make that happen. Maybe I'll start buying lottery tickets.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

You forgot to add: "With a Service Dog!"

I have to fly next year and I'm NOT looking forward to it. I dread the whole flying experience with my dog. It's such a hassle!!!

We fly Jetblue. It's the best for us. The bulkhead seats have enough room for Wex. Last year we did American because Jetblue doesn't fly to Miami. The bulkhead was so small, Wexler could barely lay down. This year flying Jetblue to Ft lauderdale and taking a bus to Miami.

Where are you going?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We fly Jetblue. It's the best for us. The bulkhead seats have enough room for Wex. Last year we did American because Jetblue doesn't fly to Miami. The bulkhead was so small, Wexler could barely lay down. This year flying Jetblue to Ft lauderdale and taking a bus to Miami.

Where are you going?

That's good to know Cindy. I'll have to keep them in mind for my next flight. I'll do anything not to have to fly Spirit Airlines again.

The bus company is probably going to call the police if you take their bus. :eek:

Where are you going?

My daughter lives in Eugene, Oregon, my best friend lives in Seattle; there are graduations, weddings and a promised trip back to Switzerland. I can't imagine what Horton will be like on the flight to Zurich.......I'm dreading the thought of trying to keep him comfortable on a Flight to DC and then on to Paris and then to Zurich. He's so much bigger than Brenda and she had a hard time with staying down. I'll have to walk him a lot and holding back water from Horton is very difficult......he a huge water drinker!

And, every time Horton pees, he has to poop [sorry about the TMI.] So, I always have to be prepared to pick up after him!

If you've ever wondered what a Autism Service Dog can do!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/109IpBT4nGM969MjhGmuBcKd4yZ0nhriOqKN_sL_r2F8

I also posted it on our CC RollCall and the response so far has been wonderful. So again thank you to everyone; your help and advice in preparing for your cruise has been immensely helpful!!!

-Joy

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

I hope you have a great time on your cruise. Let us know how it goes. Thanks for posting the article.

Dianne

Another vote for JetBlue. Their bulkhead seating is very roomy. The "even more space seats" have as much room as a lot of first class domestic flights at a fraction of the cost. They were very nice to Henri. I suspect that Southwest bulkhead would be good too - as long as the plane is not completed full you could get an empty middle seat. When we were on JetBlue, we asked (very nicely) if it was possible to leave the seat next to us empty if the plane was not full. I am keeping my fingers crossed that out flight from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco next month will have an empty seat next to us.

Dianne

I'm dreading the thought of trying to keep him comfortable on a Flight to DC and then on to Paris and then to Zurich. He's so much bigger than Brenda and she had a hard time with staying down. I'll have to walk him a lot and holding back water from Horton is very difficult......he a huge water drinker!

And, every time Horton pees, he has to poop [sorry about the TMI.] So, I always have to be prepared to pick up after him!

You can be the guinea pig for us Roz. I hope to fly to Paris with Henri in 2018. Henri does not like to poop anyway from home - she will hold it (even over night) until she figures out we are not going home anytime soon. Never poops on a walk or when I take her out for the day.

Dianne

Where are you going?

That's good input on JetBlue - thanks, Cindy.

You can be the guinea pig for us Roz. I hope to fly to Paris with Henri in 2018. Henri does not like to poop anyway from home - she will hold it (even over night) until she figures out we are not going home anytime soon. Never poops on a walk or when I take her out for the day.

Dianne

Our dogs are all such individuals with their own ways!

My daughter lives in Eugene, Oregon, my best friend lives in Seattle; there are graduations, weddings and a promised trip back to Switzerland. I can't imagine what Horton will be like on the flight to Zurich.......I'm dreading the thought of trying to keep him comfortable on a Flight to DC and then on to Paris and then to Zurich. He's so much bigger than Brenda and she had a hard time with staying down. I'll have to walk him a lot and holding back water from Horton is very difficult......he a huge water drinker!

Roz, some of the things you share just make others of us feel better. Scooter seems to be just like Horton.

Speaking of Scooter, I'm off to the trainer tomorrow to get him, finally, after 3.5 weeks l. Much longer than expected! He was being a little stinker. 8 hours behind the wheel tomorrow.

Wish me luck and let's hope that there are no crazy people on the roads! There have been far too many accidents lately. Many of them with fatalities.

Where are you going?

My Niece works for JetBlue! She loves them. She does a lot of Long Beach, CA to NewYork flights.

Maybe your Vet can give you a mild sedative for Horton.

I was wondering what do you need for each port. I want to travel with my service dog but scared. What paper work do I need?

We travel with a service dog..she is going to be on her 6th cruise in September and 7th in November.....We've learned a lot and have some suggestions for you....

• Don't be hesitant to do it.....it's wonderful! And truly has made our cruising so much more fun!!!!!! :p
  • We've cruised on Celebrity/NCL/Princess/Carnival and HAL.
  • The Best (most accomodating-all around) - HAL
  • The Best set-up (potty-box) - NCL/Princess
  • The Best crew for dog friendliness HAL/Princess
  • Passenger friendliness...every ship we've ever been on. We only 1 passenger in all of our cruises who absolutely refused to eat in the Buffet area, with a dog!

If you have any questions about the ship requirements/easy way to deal with "special needs" departments/cabins/dining area/potty box/food/exercise/hotel/excursions/airplanes, etc. Ask away......

I don't want to bore you with all the details...so, I'll let you lead the way! ;)

HELP! I want to travel with my service dog but don't know where to start. I tried to contact the cruise line but they are telling me I need to contact Department of Agriculture. Everything that I have been reading is to import dogs/animals. I don't see anything about visiting. I am travelling to St.Marteen, St.Thomas, Tortola and Puerto Rico

HELP! I want to travel with my service dog but don't know where to start. I tried to contact the cruise line but they are telling me I need to contact Department of Agriculture. Everything that I have been reading is to import dogs/animals. I don't see anything about visiting. I am travelling to St.Marteen, St.Thomas, Tortola and Puerto Rico

I haven't visited any of those ports and so I do not know the specific requirements. You are looking in the right place if you are on the USDA's Aphis website. Even if you are just visiting, you are considered to be exporting your service dog from the United States.

Dianne