Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

Wexler could not lay in the sun. His black fur would be so hot. 

Henri loves to lay on the balcony in the sun (black lab). On our Panama Canal cruise I had to make her come back in the cabin, otherwise she was out on the balcony lying in the sun in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity.

55 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I have not been to Jamaica, but I do know that Bermuda is extremely helpful and will understand if you cannot meet their time requirements. Just e-mail them with you timeline and request the permit even if your health certificate won't be dated within the required 10 days of arrival in Bermuda (and required tick treatment won't be given within 10 days). One our trip last year, we left California and spent a week in Paris and London before leaving from Southampton on a transatlantic cruise that did not arrive in Bermuda until 21 days after the date on the Bermudian Health form. They will issue you a permit for the date(s) your ship will be in Bermuda via e-mail. We did have our paperwork and Henrietta inspected when the ship docked. The e-mail address is: animals@gov.bm

We've been to Bermuda twice in 18,19. They are very understanding. Any questions or concerns please write to them. They will let some things slide. They were very accommodating when we had Wexler. Since he was 11 they didn't make us get the 1 year rabies. The woman is very nice. 

58 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Henri loves to lay on the balcony in the sun (black lab). On our Panama Canal cruise I had to make her come back in the cabin, otherwise she was out on the balcony lying in the sun in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity.

Wow! Wexlers fur would get burning hot. He didn't like the sun but I think he hated the glass on the balcony more. He also hated the glass elevators. Oakland loves to look out at the ocean and check everything out. Mostly because he's nosey! 

10 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Wow! Wexlers fur would get burning hot. He didn't like the sun but I think he hated the glass on the balcony more. He also hated the glass elevators. Oakland loves to look out at the ocean and check everything out. Mostly because he's nosey! 

Even when they come from the same training program they are all so different. Henrietta doesn't mind glass elevators or flying. So far, the only thing I have noticed that makes her nervous are small dogs that bark a lot.

12 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Definitely, Roz! 
Allen and I have been together since late 87, and I can’t imagine life without him.  He has taken amazing care of me the last few years through many challenges.

Awwww!  So nice to hear!

Interestingly, I don't have any envy or jealousy when I see couples together [it's really our society anyway],  I find great joy and happiness in watching couples interact with each other.....I had that and I loved and appreciated it!  

I travel with a huge, four-legged wonderful being, as you all know, named "Horton".  I talk to him and pass along minute-by-minute information about our travels, as he cocks his head and looks at me, as if he understands every word I'm saying.  I say "good night" to him at the end of our day, and greet him each morning with a loving and sweet "hello, sweet love!"  Call me crazy, but he's great comfort to me and fills any lonely moments in my life!

For those of you who have a faithful Service Dog and a wonderful partner, as well......how lucky you are.  Cherish your moments together!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Even when they come from the same training program they are all so different. Henrietta doesn't mind glass elevators or flying. So far, the only thing I have noticed that makes her nervous are small dogs that bark a lot.

Brenda got nervous about glass elevators, floating staircases, big glass windows and other dogs.  Nothing and I mean NOTHING makes Horton tense and nervous except for fireworks [that's his weakness.]

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Horton also loves to get his fur so hot you can hardly touch him.  He also loves to lay in the freezing cold and turn himself into a big, black, furry popsicle!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

The thing that makes us mad is the lack of communication between all parties. The off ship access dept seems to have no communication with the on ship people. We send all paperwork to access before the cruise, you would think they would already have it when we get on the ship. Yet they are asking us for it constantly. When going to HMC the guest services girl told us we would have to bring the dog down. We have never brought the dog down there. They actually never called us. She did however ask for more paperwork. They had the health certificate and the 2 Bahamas permits. What more do you want? She came to our cabin and I gave her a copy of the rabies certificate, which was already noted on the health certificate. She called a few min later and said we were all set. 

I'm going to try ignoring their early morning phone calls and attending their early morning meeting [where they ask for the same paperwork that I gave them, not once but twice, when I boarded!.]  They have a lack of communication problem and me and my dog get caught up in their never ending spin cycle of nonsense!

They may have to come looking for me.......They can find us in the potty box room, two miles, down the hall, past the many, many service carts that don't allow a walker or a wheel chair to pass, from my cabin!  

Did I mention that I ALWAYS purchase a veranda cabin, just in case they decide that the best place for the potty box is actually my own, private veranda!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Brenda got nervous about glass elevators, floating staircases, big glass windows and other dogs.  Nothing and I mean NOTHING makes Horton tense and nervous except for fireworks [that's his weakness.]

So far Oaklands weakness seems to be bugs. He's fascinated with them but doesn't want them near him. He will follow ants everywhere. He tries to catch flies. In Key West, these big flies were bothering him. I don't know if they were biting him, but he was freaking out jumping around jerking Johns arm. 

Edited by rangeley

41 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Horton also loves to get his fur so hot you can hardly touch him.  He also loves to lay in the freezing cold and turn himself into a big, black, furry popsicle!

The same with Henrietta she is hot to the touch after she has been laying in the sun. She also enjoys laying in the snow and cold water.

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

So far Oaklands weakness seems to be bugs. He's fascinated with them but doesn't want them near him. He will follow ants everywhere. He tries to catch flies. In Key West, these big flies were bothering him. I don't know if they were biting him, but he was freaking out jumping around jerking Johns arm. 

I know this isn't funny.....but, it is. 

In the summertime when the flies are very active and one manages to make it's way into our home......you'll find Horton snapping at the air to catch the flying buggers.  I think I've mentioned that he's been known to bring crickets in that he's befriended and he'll de-wing or de-leg them......not to be mean, it's just because he likes to play with them and gets overly excited when they jump around!  Hate it!!!!!

On 1/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Raylene & Henri are two of a kind! And Horty makes three of a kind, even though he’s a boy. Raylene plops down in the grass to soak up the rays when I let her in the back yard until I call her back in. And the same on the ship balconies.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

20 hours ago, rangeley said:

Sky raisins.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I know this isn't funny.....but, it is. 

In the summertime when the flies are very active and one manages to make it's way into our home......you'll find Horton snapping at the air to catch the flying buggers.  I think I've mentioned that he's been known to bring crickets in that he's befriended and he'll de-wing or de-leg them......not to be mean, it's just because he likes to play with them and gets overly excited when they jump around!  Hate it!!!!!

More sky raisins!

• Like 1

I’m so happy to have found this thread! I had just posted a topic asking about cruising with my service dog to Rome, but I hadn’t seen this thread yet! I may have to read a lot to catch up on everything. I’m taking my service dog Mila on her first cruise in November. I’m so nervous about it all but I think once we get on the ship I’ll be okay. It’s nice to meet so many others that have service dogs and cruise with them!

30 minutes ago, Mabbiez said:

I’m so happy to have found this thread! I had just posted a topic asking about cruising with my service dog to Rome, but I hadn’t seen this thread yet! I may have to read a lot to catch up on everything. I’m taking my service dog Mila on her first cruise in November. I’m so nervous about it all but I think once we get on the ship I’ll be okay. It’s nice to meet so many others that have service dogs and cruise with them!

Welcome!  You will love cruising with your Service Dog.  

May I suggest that the very first thing you want to do is get Mila used to using a "Potty Box".  The more she uses a box filled with mulch/bark/grass/wood shavings, etc.  The easier your cruising experience will be, for both of you.

Please don't hesitate to ask your good questions.  There are some truly wonderful folks on this thread who love to be helpful, teaching and caring.

I’ve just started reading through this whole thread and you are such an amazing help!

I’ve previously worked with Mila on a fake grassy patch on the balcony (I live on the 3rd floor). I am going to get a mulch box and start using that. She is also doing a two week boarding training session so I’m going to talk with that trainer about working on the mulch box. 

I know during Mila’s public access class we take the dogs to the airport. Sometimes they are able to work something out with an airline for the dogs to go on a plane just so we get an idea of how a flight will be. The last time I flew I was super lucky to have a service done in my row so I was able to get a little bit of understanding of it. The handler was super nice and helpful when I told her I had a service dog in training. She helped answer a lot of questions!

Mila is still training but she will be done before our cruise. She has already been such a blessing to me! I kick myself for not getting a service dog before, but at the same time I think I was meant to have Mila.

I’m sure I will have a ton of more questions once we get closer to cruise time! 

3 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

I’ve just started reading through this whole thread and you are such an amazing help!

I’ve previously worked with Mila on a fake grassy patch on the balcony (I live on the 3rd floor). I am going to get a mulch box and start using that. She is also doing a two week boarding training session so I’m going to talk with that trainer about working on the mulch box. 

I know during Mila’s public access class we take the dogs to the airport. Sometimes they are able to work something out with an airline for the dogs to go on a plane just so we get an idea of how a flight will be. The last time I flew I was super lucky to have a service done in my row so I was able to get a little bit of understanding of it. The handler was super nice and helpful when I told her I had a service dog in training. She helped answer a lot of questions!

Mila is still training but she will be done before our cruise. She has already been such a blessing to me! I kick myself for not getting a service dog before, but at the same time I think I was meant to have Mila.

I’m sure I will have a ton of more questions once we get closer to cruise time! 

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job of preparing you and Mila for her first cruise.  

Actually, once your dog gets used to going potty in a box, she'll do really well on whatever filler is used.  The only time my dogs were a bit reluctant was when the ships use those darn pellets [these are usually used by Carnival.]  I buy a 4x4 square of artificial turf that I take with me to cover whatever the cruise ship decides to use.  I just fold it up, place it in a plastic bag and put it in my suit case or carry it on board.  I leave it behind when the cruise is over.  It's inexpensive and my dogs like how it keeps their paws from hurting from whatever the ships uses.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I don't ever want to be unkind to anyone.  

If you want to take your self-trained dog into the public, your dog should not bark, whine, growl or lunge at anything or anyone. 

Your dog should remain calm, assertive and ready to assist YOU whenever you need him.

In order for your dog to be ready to behave well around other dogs/animals in general, and humans you MUST work with your dog on a daily basis. 

Having special treats ready when you're out and about is nice but it's a bit like letting the horse out after the barn door is closed.

You MUST work with your dog when your just sitting and reading or watching T.V., or walking to the mailbox, or going to the bathroom......You MUST work with your dog ALL THE TIME.  You MUST practice, practice, practice, have patience, patience, patience and ALWAYS be KIND AND GENTLE.  A well trained, well behaving Service Dog is a golden gift from God!

You should NEVER be allowed in public if your dog acts badly, no matter how much you may need him.  

Thank You for stating this! My SD was trained by an organization of Veteran military dog handlers who started training PTSD Service Dogs, free for Veterans, fee for civilians like me. There was no ID issued, just a letter stating what training & testing he completed. Unfortunately the company went out of business. Some of MurphySD tests was Canine Good Citizenships and Public Access. These were to make sure he was not only comfortable in various public venues, but also that he was well behaved and not a threat to public safety. 
I’m all for giving people the option of self training, I may have to do that myself when MurphySD is ready to retire(hopefully not for many years). Not only are there very few PTSD SD training organizations but most now only train for Veterans or their civilians are on even longer waitlists and other SD training organizations dont train outside their specific disabilities group.  That said there are online resources for the above test requirements so everyone can train their dogs how to behave properly in public, no matter their size. NO dog should be in a public venue unless it can behave appropriately. But especially any dog being touted as an SD. 

On 1/5/2020 at 5:29 PM, Mavis and Me said:

Canceling wasn't an option - my family would have had a conniption!  We were at the end of a long trip wanting to get back to Seattle!  It was more ridiculous to watch than it was upsetting.  Mavis didn't care at all.  And luckily all the dogs around us were under 40 pounds, so not really a threat.  My family was vigilant to keep the ones on retractable leashes (MAN, I don't like retractable leashes!) away from me and Mave.  I literally saw this white chihuahua stroll at least 15 FEET away from it's owner!  It was wrapping around the legs of the guy in line in front of it.  I thought that man was in their party at first!  And the little tan one was down right aggressive!

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.36.14 PM.png

If these two were the size of my SD would this be acceptable public behavior? NO!!!

There is absolutely NO reason these two should be considered emotional support let alone SD. Their behavior alone is anxiety inducing! And the airlines brought this on themselves by allowing NON SD to travel on their planes. Emotional support animals don’t have the same public access protection under ADA laws. I could claim my GSD as an emotional support animal, but she doesn’t like other people or dogs, can you imagine having her barking in this situation let alone a flight? So why are small dogs misbehavior tolerated?  Common sense needs to prevail, NO untrained pets should be allowed in public venues, especially if the owners are not being attentive to their dogs like in the photo. Why should SD teams be subjected to extra scrutiny because of these people and their dogs.