Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Yesterday, for the first time, we dealt with an aggressive dog towards my daughters SD.  We were in Costco, picking up a few things.  We were leaving, walking past the food counter and all the tables for eating, and I remember thinking ‘Wow, a lot of people eating today!’  No sooner had I said that and turned my head back towards the exit, than I hear aggressive barking and turned around to see a boxer lunging at our SD.  He was leashed thank God, but even more appalling was that it had a ‘service dog in training’ vest on.  There was also a second dog, who also started barking.  As we kept walking, I could hear a man trying to give those dogs commands of some sort.  Our pup did not react at all, but I think, had that happened on our way in, I would have asked management ask those dogs to leave - completely inappropriate behavior, and SD’a I. Training so not carry the same rights as fully trained SD’s.  On top of all this, we were questioned when we came in if our dog was a SD (which I am fine with, btw....).  

6 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

I would have asked management ask those dogs to leave - completely inappropriate behavior, and SD’a I. Training so not carry the same rights as fully trained SD’s.

allies-daphne - In some states SDiTs do have the same access rights as SDs.  It depends on your state.  However, SD or SD in Training, the man should have either quickly corrected the behavior or removed the dogs from that situation.  SDiTs should not be working on dog aggression or basic manners during public access work, they should be done with those lessons by that point.  Public access work is more about getting our well-behaved dogs used to standing in lines, getting bumped into, leaving merchandise alone, etc. NOT working out animal/human reactivity!  :)  You would have been well within your right to ask management to remove those dogs from the Costco.

4 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

allies-daphne - In some states SDiTs do have the same access rights as SDs.  It depends on your state.  However, SD or SD in Training, the man should have either quickly corrected the behavior or removed the dogs from that situation.  SDiTs should not be working on dog aggression or basic manners during public access work, they should be done with those lessons by that point.  Public access work is more about getting our well-behaved dogs used to standing in lines, getting bumped into, leaving merchandise alone, etc. NOT working out animal/human reactivity! 🙂  You would have been well within your right to ask management to remove those dogs from the Costco.

I find myself becoming more and more aware of other dogs in the public forum, for this reason I carry a small can of hair spray in my purse.  It works wonders on scaring away aggressive behaving dogs.  Usually, just the sound of the spray above their head is enough to make them back off.  It doesn't hurt them but it does sting their eyes if it happens to make contact with them.  It gives you enough time to get away and is truly harmless in the long run. 

Thank goodness I have not had to use the spray on a big, aggressive dog, but I must admit that I don't put Horton or myself in situations where I might have to.  If I know there are unfriendly dogs around I stay away from the area.  Horton would not be of any help if we were to be attacked, and, I'm afraid I'd be a screaming wreck of a human being, trying to protect my beautiful boy before myself! 

Horton must look like a menacing terror to other dogs, he's huge, black and does not back down from confrontational stares.  He'll stare at another dog and I know what he's thinking, "hi, wanna be my friend?"  They're probably thinking that he's saying, "hi, wanna fight?"

I have to place myself in between him and other big dogs we may come in contact with so he doesn't get eye contact with them.

Horton takes ALL eye contact as an invitation to cuddle and play!  Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world felt this way!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

Wizard of Roz MurphySD is the same way as Horton, just a big love!  He’s been trained in threat assessment, so he observes many things going on in our environment. He loves other dogs still on the occasions we’ve been barked at, especially aggressively and lunged at, he’s kept his cool and eyes on them as we leave the area, including looking back behind us to make sure the threat is gone. I either reroute to avoid them or put myself between him and any dogs that I feel maybe a potential problem. I’m ready to step in to protect my SD, just i have for our pets when aggressive dogs approach on walks.

Today the Department of Transportation released its proposed rule changes to the Air Carrier Access Act which will impact service dog teams. The DOT proposes to align its definition of service animal with the ADA definition which does not recognize emotional support animals and limits service animals to dogs that have been individually trained to do work or perform a task for an individual with a disability. The definition would limit service animals to dogs and airlines would be allowed to treat emotional support animals as pets. Other proposed changes refer to size of the service animal, limiting the number to two per passenger and leash, tethering or harnessing requirements. The DOT would also develop standardized forms that each airline would be required to use (health form, behavior and training attestation and relief attestation for flights over eight hours).

These are not the final rules - they can be changed based on comments received for or against.

The comment period for the proposed rules is open for the next 60 days. Comments must be identified by the docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 and can be made:

• at the Federal eRulemaking Portal: go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online

instructions for submitting comments.

• by Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey

Ave. SE, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.

• by Hand Delivery or Courier: West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New

Jersey Ave. SE, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, except

Federal holidays.

• by Fax: (202) 493-2251

You must include the agency name and docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 or the Regulatory Identification Number (RIN) for the rulemaking at the beginning of your comment. All comments received will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided.

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Horton must look like a menacing terror to other dogs, he's huge, black and does not back down from confrontational stares.  He'll stare at another dog and I know what he's thinking, "hi, wanna be my friend?"  They're probably thinking that he's saying, "hi, wanna fight?"

I have to place myself in between him and other big dogs we may come in contact with so he doesn't get eye contact with them.

Horton takes ALL eye contact as an invitation to cuddle and play!  Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world felt this way!

I had wondered what Henri might do if attacked by another dog. She is so gentle and does not have an aggressive bone in her body. I was hoping I would never have to find out what she would do, but she was attacked by a small dog last year. She went down in a heap and covered her head; she did not try to fight back in any way. I am very protective of her and try to recognize any potentially dangerous situations ahead of time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I had wondered what Henri might do if attacked by another dog. She is so gentle and does not have an aggressive bone in her body. I was hoping I would never have to find out what she would do, but she was attacked by a small dog last year. She went down in a heap and covered her head; she did not try to fight back in any way. I am very protective of her and try to recognize any potentially dangerous situations ahead of time.

Oh! No!  It's a good thing I wasn't there or the owners of that little dog would have walked away with two black eyes. 

I feel just like you do.......I protect my big boy with all my might.  I'm very careful when folks want to pat him.  I watch just how hard they're stroking him so that they don't over do it.  He's my baby.......seriously, he's MY BABY!!!!!  His heart and soul are pure and he's so lovely.  You hurt him you got me to deal with!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Today the Department of Transportation released its proposed rule changes to the Air Carrier Access Act which will impact service dog teams. The DOT proposes to align its definition of service animal with the ADA definition which does not recognize emotional support animals and limits service animals to dogs that have been individually trained to do work or perform a task for an individual with a disability. The definition would limit service animals to dogs and airlines would be allowed to treat emotional support animals as pets. Other proposed changes refer to size of the service animal, limiting the number to two per passenger and leash, tethering or harnessing requirements. The DOT would also develop standardized forms that each airline would be required to use (health form, behavior and training attestation and relief attestation for flights over eight hours).

These are not the final rules - they can be changed based on comments received for or against.

The comment period for the proposed rules is open for the next 60 days. Comments must be identified by the docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 and can be made:

• at the Federal eRulemaking Portal: go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online

instructions for submitting comments.

• by Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey

Ave. SE, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.

• by Hand Delivery or Courier: West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New

Jersey Ave. SE, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, except

Federal holidays.

• by Fax: (202) 493-2251

You must include the agency name and docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 or the Regulatory Identification Number (RIN) for the rulemaking at the beginning of your comment. All comments received will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided.

Love it!  Bring on the rules and laws.  I'm prepared to follow all regulations and welcome them.  I just want the general public to adhere to them as well!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kaik9s said:

Wizard of Roz MurphySD is the same way as Horton, just a big love!  He’s been trained in threat assessment, so he observes many things going on in our environment. He loves other dogs still on the occasions we’ve been barked at, especially aggressively and lunged at, he’s kept his cool and eyes on them as we leave the area, including looking back behind us to make sure the threat is gone. I either reroute to avoid them or put myself between him and any dogs that I feel maybe a potential problem. I’m ready to step in to protect my SD, just i have for our pets when aggressive dogs approach on walks.

I must say my first SD was not as gently spirited as Horton.  She was a true Alpha dog.  She wanted all other dogs in her environment to be in a submissive state.  She wouldn't allow Horton near her couch and did not like sharing her humans with him.  She did it, because I told her she had to, but she didn't like it and showed her displeasure by giving Horton the "side-eye" every chance she got.  She didn't bite, or growl but she sure had a way of giving some mighty sour looks of displeasure.

CCI had a very difficult time placing Brenda because she was a lot to handle.  I loved the challenge and we were perfect for each other!  She took her work very seriously and was truly the smartest dog I've every known. 

Horton ALWAYS backed away from her and would lay down in front of her, as if to offer himself to her.  She thought she was the Queen of everyone and he knew exactly how to handle himself around her.    She would pace back and forth on the couch in the living room, making sure that everyone was in the right place.  She passed in 2014, at the age of 14, and Horton still will not go near the couch!

Horton was practically twice her size.  She was a shortish, pure English Lab and Horton is a cross between an American Lab and a Golden Retriever.  He's a very big boy.  It didn't matter, she ruled over him easily.  I didn't think I could love a dog more than her but I am crazy about Horton Jeffrey!  

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

I am back from my brother's funeral.  I feel like there is something really wrong with me.  I have barely cried.  When at my parent's I keep waiting for him to show up or thinking he is just busy and can't make it.  I did get completely worn out and am paying for it big time.  I was in the hospital for a possible stroke, it is inconclusive and I have follow ups scheduled, when I got word of him going home on hospice.  I informed the nurses to do what was necessary to get me out.  They where wonderful and kept me up to date on everything and pushed a lot of the tests through.

Then I get home and have a day to get 3 days of office work and house cleaning done before my husband's sister arrives for a couple days.  I then get word that my brother has passed.  Rich's sister arrives and we have an incredibly busy next 3 days.  Including my driving evaluation for hand controls.  I thought it was just a base line visit but was informed by the OT that she thinks I am ready for hand controls.  Turns out I am really limiting myself to going out.  I didn't admit it to myself, but she sure pointed it out.  Said that is fine if that is what I want.  No, I don't want that, I want to be independent, but think I have been scared of the adjustments.  

After my sister in law leaves, I have the morning of the trip to pack and leave.  Then all the activity with the family and visitors.  I am kind of thinking I really haven't had time to grieve.  And upon my return, got back late last night, I have lots of end of year business to take care of (we own are own commercial construction business) and lots of appointments I need to make and get to.  I will be ok, but it has been a lot.

So, as to my SD - Halo and the sun.  He loves to sun bathe.  He is also a big beach dog.  He will not jump into the truck, my husband has to help him in (the back seat, not the bed), but if he sees us take the beach bag out there he has no problem getting in on his own.  We were in Illinois with -5-16 degrees, he was not happy.  Today it was not warm here in Florida, but it did get to 60 degrees and he spent an hour or two out in the sun.  He is definitely like his mama, loves the warm sun and beach.

Southwest is now asking if dogs are an ESA.  They are requiring documentation for the ESA's.  They are also asking what task(s) the SD is trained for- no demonstration, just the legal question.  I don't get asked it, I was told my disability is noticeable.  I also get complimented on Halo every time he is out with me.  I have seen a lot less dogs in general and certainly less uncontrolled/misbehaving dogs or dogs on a retraceable leash.  Makes me so happy.

Linda and Halo 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I am back from my brother's funeral.  I feel like there is something really wrong with me.  I have barely cried.  When at my parent's I keep waiting for him to show up or thinking he is just busy and can't make it.  I did get completely worn out and am paying for it big time.  I was in the hospital for a possible stroke, it is inconclusive and I have follow ups scheduled, when I got word of him going home on hospice.  I informed the nurses to do what was necessary to get me out.  They where wonderful and kept me up to date on everything and pushed a lot of the tests through.

Then I get home and have a day to get 3 days of office work and house cleaning done before my husband's sister arrives for a couple days.  I then get word that my brother has passed.  Rich's sister arrives and we have an incredibly busy next 3 days.  Including my driving evaluation for hand controls.  I thought it was just a base line visit but was informed by the OT that she thinks I am ready for hand controls.  Turns out I am really limiting myself to going out.  I didn't admit it to myself, but she sure pointed it out.  Said that is fine if that is what I want.  No, I don't want that, I want to be independent, but think I have been scared of the adjustments.  

After my sister in law leaves, I have the morning of the trip to pack and leave.  Then all the activity with the family and visitors.  I am kind of thinking I really haven't had time to grieve.  And upon my return, got back late last night, I have lots of end of year business to take care of (we own are own commercial construction business) and lots of appointments I need to make and get to.  I will be ok, but it has been a lot.

So, as to my SD - Halo and the sun.  He loves to sun bathe.  He is also a big beach dog.  He will not jump into the truck, my husband has to help him in (the back seat, not the bed), but if he sees us take the beach bag out there he has no problem getting in on his own.  We were in Illinois with -5-16 degrees, he was not happy.  Today it was not warm here in Florida, but it did get to 60 degrees and he spent an hour or two out in the sun.  He is definitely like his mama, loves the warm sun and beach.

Southwest is now asking if dogs are an ESA.  They are requiring documentation for the ESA's.  They are also asking what task(s) the SD is trained for- no demonstration, just the legal question.  I don't get asked it, I was told my disability is noticeable.  I also get complimented on Halo every time he is out with me.  I have seen a lot less dogs in general and certainly less uncontrolled/misbehaving dogs or dogs on a retraceable leash.  Makes me so happy.

Linda and Halo 

Linda, you've certainly been challenged.  I'm so sorry about your brother.  May the good memories that you shared comfort you in the days ahead.  

Life has thrown so much at you.......be strong, keep your head up and know that you have friends here and that we send you much love and strength.

I am very much in favor of the airlines getting tougher on their guidelines for SD's.   I hope that all passenger transport agencies follow in suit.

Take care of you.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 1:09 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

I find myself becoming more and more aware of other dogs in the public forum, for this reason I carry a small can of hair spray in my purse.  It works wonders on scaring away aggressive behaving dogs.  Usually, just the sound of the spray above their head is enough to make them back off.  It doesn't hurt them but it does sting their eyes if it happens to make contact with them.  It gives you enough time to get away and is truly harmless in the long run. 

Thank goodness I have not had to use the spray on a big, aggressive dog, but I must admit that I don't put Horton or myself in situations where I might have to.  If I know there are unfriendly dogs around I stay away from the area.  Horton would not be of any help if we were to be attacked, and, I'm afraid I'd be a screaming wreck of a human being, trying to protect my beautiful boy before myself! 

First it would take you an hour to find that spray in your suitcase size purse. And I'm glad Oakland and I didn't get sprayed!! 

14 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo 

So sorry to hear about your brother. Sometimes we are so worried about others, we forget to take care of ourselves. I know I am one to do this. Please take time for yourself. Boy it's easy to say. 😕

John has used hand controls for 40yrs and its made him very independent. He has always done things on his own but as he's gotten older he needs help. He hates asking for it! 

Edited by rangeley

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

First it would take you an hour to find that spray in your suitcase size purse. And I'm glad Oakland and I didn't get sprayed!! 

Hey!  Girly Girls need to carry their purses wherever they go!  You never know when you'll need something.......like;  caution tape, band aids, mascara, lip gloss, scissors, needle & thread, safety pin, HAIRSPRAY, etc., etc., etc!  I can't help it, I feel naked if I don't have my "stuff" with me!!!!!

You should have seen what my babies diaper bags looked like........I carried everything but the baby in the bag!  We could have lived a week out of that bag!  It did drive Morey crazy because he was usually the one who had to shlep the bag!

And, don't think that you didn't come close, at times, to getting a spritz or two!  Ha! Ha!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

Hey I was nice!! Not my fault you got hair and drool all over you! He misses Auntie Roz. ❤️

IMG_20200112_223452.jpg

Hey handsome, Auntie Roz and Horty miss seeing and playing with you every day!  Have a super weekend, we miss you all very much and hope that one day we can share a cruise together again.

I don't suppose you'll be coming to L.A. to hop on board the Golden Princess to Alaska on May 30th?  It's two weeks and that would be so much fun.......I can dream can't I?  I know you must be pretty much cruised-out this year......but, it would be such fun!  Love you all to the moon and back! ❤️

Edited by wizard-of-roz

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Hey handsome, Auntie Roz and Horty miss seeing and playing with you every day!  Have a super weekend, we miss you all very much and hope that one day we can share a cruise together again.

I don't suppose you'll be coming to L.A. to hop on board the Golden Princess to Alaska on May 30th?  It's two weeks and that would be so much fun.......I can dream can't I?  I know you must be pretty much cruised-out this year......but, it would be such fun!  Love you all to the moon and back! ❤️

We haven't done Alaska yet. I've never wanted to fly that far. Haha 😂  

30 minutes ago, rangeley said:

We haven't done Alaska yet. I've never wanted to fly that far. Haha 😂  

Well, you've already done the flying thing....so, that's out of the way.  And, here's a great incentive:  Princess has been offering; free WiFi, free gratuities and free drinking package......what more do you want?  I don't know if they're still offering this package but it sure was the draw for me to book it.  

Here is how my first cruise with my service dog went!

We thankfully had stayed in a hotel the night before so it was not as exhausting getting onto the ship. It was remarkably difficult and took a bit longer than I assumed it would. They didn’t know what papers they wanted and just took one copy of each record I had brought with me (I carry all my vet records everywhere with me). It was a bit frustrating, but nonetheless we made it onto the ship. 

We immediately went to ask where to potty box was. Again, it took a long time waiting for the representative to find out where it was placed, and even then they were unable to give very good directions to it. We looked and looked and could not find it for the first couple of hours after the muster drill. When we did find it…. Boy oh boy. I should have brought my own potty filler! They put about 1 layer of paper cat litter in there. The filler wasn’t a huge deal, location was a deal breaker. I had to go into the crew area through HUGE heavy doors. Let alone it was indoors and I have never asked Gunner to potty indoors. I got crushed by the door one time and went back to guest services about moving it. I got a big runaround about how they had to have it in the crew area, I was polite, but adamant that I was incapable of going through the crew doors and eventually got it moved to the end of the outdoor smoking lounge. Not really a total win, but I could at least open the door and it was outside.

Apart from the potty situation, the cruise was AMAZING!
The crew was respectful, we had a PERFECT spot in the dining room. We were in a corner round table so Gunner was able to be comfortable every evening at dinner in his own space (he does fit under the table, but it’s nice to have some leg room).

We occasionally had problems with other adult cruisers, never the kids (maybe they teach this in school now?), but nothing I wasn’t used to off the cruise.

No seasickness (which I was prepared for just in case).

I did learn Gunner is not a fan of the huge flash photography boxes, but that wasn’t a big deal and easy to work on.

He makes my life 100x easier and made this my best cruise yet!
As for the ports, we stopped in Cozumel and Progreso.

We met with port officials each morning we ported where the excursions meet. For getting off in Cozumel the Mexican official just wanted to see the original copy of his rabies vaccine and had a look in his ears (presumably for external parasites). Then we got a sheet of paper says we were good to disembark whenever. The funny thing was that when we did try to get off, the official at the ship’s exit didn’t think our certificate from the previous officials was good enough and called his superiors to ensure we were good to get off the ship. It only took a few minutes of standing to the side of the line and we were off. It was incredibly easy to get a taxi, get on an all inclusive beach and to relax the rest of the day. We did a little shopping before getting back on the ship and none of the shops asked for him to stay outside so that was very nice as well.

In Progreso, we went to the excursion area as before, but the official was not at work that day so they said to just use the paper from yesterday. When getting off the official didn’t as much as glance at the paper and let us off. It was super! This was our first time stopping in Progreso so we were not sure what to expect and planned to just explore on foot. It was quite an experience to say the least. Gunner was so excited to be off the ship and was looking so hard for a tree to pee on, but it was a very crowded city-scape. LOL We walked a ways to the beach and walked down the shore for about an hour. We saw a few stray dogs and I was careful to keep myself between Gunner and the stray dogs, but they showed no interest in him or us. 

I’m thankful he is able to cruise with me and look forward to all our future cruises together. 

What I learned and wish I had taken into better consideration:

Kennels: There was not enough room in our cabin for a pop-up kennel. Gunner usually sleeps in a kennel just because that’s where he is most comfortable, so we made do with his bed just beside ours.

Shoes: I so wish I had thought to bring his shoes with us. There was a lot of glass on the streets in Progreso and in New Orleans where we left from.

Potty Box: I thought we were so good with potty-ing on our mulch at home in the kiddie pool. Nope, not even close. I will DEFINITELY be bringing my own turf to put in the potty box just so we have some sense of “oh yeah I know I can potty there”. It was a nightmare at first. 

And a quick list of the resources I used apart from this WONDERFUL forum. 

Kisor, Henry, and Christine Goodier. Traveling with Service Animals: by Air, Road, Rail, and Ship Across North America. University of Illinois, 2019.

Facebook Group:

https://www.*****/Accessiblecruising/

Other websites:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/service-dogs.aspx

82815851_3040821932595232_5265215887228534784_n.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maddieking said:

Here is how my first cruise with my service dog went!

We thankfully had stayed in a hotel the night before so it was not as exhausting getting onto the ship. It was remarkably difficult and took a bit longer than I assumed it would. They didn’t know what papers they wanted and just took one copy of each record I had brought with me (I carry all my vet records everywhere with me). It was a bit frustrating, but nonetheless we made it onto the ship. 

We immediately went to ask where to potty box was. Again, it took a long time waiting for the representative to find out where it was placed, and even then they were unable to give very good directions to it. We looked and looked and could not find it for the first couple of hours after the muster drill. When we did find it…. Boy oh boy. I should have brought my own potty filler! They put about 1 layer of paper cat litter in there. The filler wasn’t a huge deal, location was a deal breaker. I had to go into the crew area through HUGE heavy doors. Let alone it was indoors and I have never asked Gunner to potty indoors. I got crushed by the door one time and went back to guest services about moving it. I got a big runaround about how they had to have it in the crew area, I was polite, but adamant that I was incapable of going through the crew doors and eventually got it moved to the end of the outdoor smoking lounge. Not really a total win, but I could at least open the door and it was outside.

Apart from the potty situation, the cruise was AMAZING!
The crew was respectful, we had a PERFECT spot in the dining room. We were in a corner round table so Gunner was able to be comfortable every evening at dinner in his own space (he does fit under the table, but it’s nice to have some leg room).

We occasionally had problems with other adult cruisers, never the kids (maybe they teach this in school now?), but nothing I wasn’t used to off the cruise.

No seasickness (which I was prepared for just in case).

I did learn Gunner is not a fan of the huge flash photography boxes, but that wasn’t a big deal and easy to work on.

He makes my life 100x easier and made this my best cruise yet!
As for the ports, we stopped in Cozumel and Progreso.

We met with port officials each morning we ported where the excursions meet. For getting off in Cozumel the Mexican official just wanted to see the original copy of his rabies vaccine and had a look in his ears (presumably for external parasites). Then we got a sheet of paper says we were good to disembark whenever. The funny thing was that when we did try to get off, the official at the ship’s exit didn’t think our certificate from the previous officials was good enough and called his superiors to ensure we were good to get off the ship. It only took a few minutes of standing to the side of the line and we were off. It was incredibly easy to get a taxi, get on an all inclusive beach and to relax the rest of the day. We did a little shopping before getting back on the ship and none of the shops asked for him to stay outside so that was very nice as well.

In Progreso, we went to the excursion area as before, but the official was not at work that day so they said to just use the paper from yesterday. When getting off the official didn’t as much as glance at the paper and let us off. It was super! This was our first time stopping in Progreso so we were not sure what to expect and planned to just explore on foot. It was quite an experience to say the least. Gunner was so excited to be off the ship and was looking so hard for a tree to pee on, but it was a very crowded city-scape. LOL We walked a ways to the beach and walked down the shore for about an hour. We saw a few stray dogs and I was careful to keep myself between Gunner and the stray dogs, but they showed no interest in him or us. 

I’m thankful he is able to cruise with me and look forward to all our future cruises together. 

What I learned and wish I had taken into better consideration:

Kennels: There was not enough room in our cabin for a pop-up kennel. Gunner usually sleeps in a kennel just because that’s where he is most comfortable, so we made do with his bed just beside ours.

Shoes: I so wish I had thought to bring his shoes with us. There was a lot of glass on the streets in Progreso and in New Orleans where we left from.

Potty Box: I thought we were so good with potty-ing on our mulch at home in the kiddie pool. Nope, not even close. I will DEFINITELY be bringing my own turf to put in the potty box just so we have some sense of “oh yeah I know I can potty there”. It was a nightmare at first. 

And a quick list of the resources I used apart from this WONDERFUL forum. 

Kisor, Henry, and Christine Goodier. Traveling with Service Animals: by Air, Road, Rail, and Ship Across North America. University of Illinois, 2019.

Facebook Group:

https://www.*****/Accessiblecruising/

Other websites:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/service-dogs.aspx

82815851_3040821932595232_5265215887228534784_n.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your cruising experience with us. 

The potty box will ALWAYS remain a conundrum while cruising.  Again, bring your own litter cover  [a piece of artificial turf] and make sure that your dog has some home training with it, so he uses it easily.  It packs easily or can be carried on in a plastic bag.

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your time with Gunner.  Your first experience is now behind you and you know what to expect for your next cruise.  Although, I have learned, over my many cruising moments that each time is a different time!!  

FYI:   For those who use a walker or wheel chair most cabin doors will not allow a walker or wheel chair to go through without folding it up.  This can be difficult for those of us with mobility issues.  And, most cabins do NOT have the floor space to add a crate for your dog to lay without being in the way.   It can get a bit tight in most cruise ship cabins, with a Service Dog.

Horton also makes my life much better by making everything easier for me!

43 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Maddieking,  Your review was great. It gets easier after you have that first cruise behind you. It was nice of you to mention the book Henry and I wrote! We had so much great input from people here.).

Maddieking, thanks to you, I threw her shoes into the pile of stuff for our trip, good suggestion. 

• Like 1

Update on the reply from Jamaica regarding their import requirements if you plan to stay onboard -

You DO NOT require a permit or need to meet the requirements for import.

They Do require basic information on yourself and your dog, which is needed in order to prepare an In-transit Letter.

- Your name

- Address

-Name of animal, Breed, age, sex, colour

-Microchip #

-Rabies Vaccination Date

- Information on the vessel, date and time of arrival, departure

- Any other documents you can provide for your dog

All this information is needed in order to inform the Port Animal Health Technician to monitor and ensure that the animal remains on board.

Hope this helps anyone else who will be stopping in Jamaica and is finding their requirements to disembark too onerous or too expensive (rabies titre test = $$$) or if you’re concerned about over medicating your dog.

And yeah, if there’s an emergency I guess we’re screwed!  At least the dog can tread water; I’ll sink like a stone!