Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Back from RCCL's transatlantic from Florida to Rome via the Canary Islands, Spain and France...........second year in a row to do a spring transatlantic.

This Fall we are going on a 15 day to Hawaii. Oslo needed to titer test. All docs sent to Hawaii and he is good to go. He does so enjoy cruising....the wind in his hair etc.

Tell us more about the transatlantic! :)

Which cruiseline are you doing the Hawaii one with? Now that I'm having to do titers this year, I have a three-year window to visit Hawaii, LOL. I look up some cruises just to see what the ports and stuff were and, man, there are 31- and 45-day Hawaii cruises!!! Oh my gosh! I can't even imagine being on a cruise for that long! Crazy. And do ppl actually sail in the closet-sized interior cabins for 45 days?! Or I wonder if those rooms are bigger on the ships that do those lengths?

Okay, I do believe you've reached your quota for making me laugh-out-loud within a 48 hour period.

I adore all animals....that being said....the outdoor-run-the-neighborhood-cat, is my least favorite.

Folks who allow them to do so really don't have much respect for the animal. I'm sorry for them [the cat, not the human.] :p

I think you're talking about cats that are kept outside most of the time, and I agree with you that this is not the best for the cats. I don't think you are talking about owners like me, but I could be wrong. I would never consider keeping my cats inside all the time. They get restless and naughty if they can't go outside for at least part of the day - just like children who are kept inside in bad weather.

We have two cats, who are allowed outside during the daytime. They are free to come and go, indoors or outside as they please.

We have a large garden, with trees for them to climb and bushes for them to sleep under, if they wish. On fine days, they do a little circuit, visiting a few favourite haunts and meeting the neighbours' cats for a few minutes. They seem to have set up some sort of social network of tolerance and agreement over territory that involves no fights or loud yowling.

Most days, they go out for a while and then come inside to sleep or supervise me around the house.

At night, they are safely inside from dusk until long after dawn. They actually come inside voluntarily around 6 pm and 'ask' to go to bed - who says you can't train cats?

My 'girls' are spoiled rotten and I think they lead a very good life.

Mornin' all:

Celle: I believe everyone was talking about outdoor kitties that are destructive or a nuisance to neighbors. It sounds like your girls are well behaved and have you trained! Isn't that right about cats. Our little Leann Emily doesn't go out. First of all she is little. About 5 lbs? Second her sister before her had too many little accidents before she became an indoor kitty. Just too much for mom and pops to worry about whether she would come back injured or not at all.

So things have settled down next door. Don't know if he adjusted his meds or just decided he was wrong and felt bad. He did tell hubby sorry for spraying Jezzy, but he thought it was a good idea at the time. After all, we use a spray bottle on cats. Operative word, spray bottle not spray nozzle on the HOSE! Anyway, his truck is gone again. Maybe he went on another "vacation."

Everyone have a great day.

Nancy

Back from RCCL's transatlantic from Florida to Rome via the Canary Islands, Spain and France...........second year in a row to do a spring transatlantic.

This Fall we are going on a 15 day to Hawaii. Oslo needed to titer test. All docs sent to Hawaii and he is good to go. He does so enjoy cruising....the wind in his hair etc.

Wow, now, that's a cruise vacation. Thanks for making me drool!

I promise to help in everyway I can.....can I be your Service Person?

You know, in all the cruise travels that we've done with Brenny, she has not been on RCCL.

"Brenny's Bucket List" ~ Go on an RCCL cruise.

We're they accommodating and helpful towards "Oz"?

I think you're talking about cats that are kept outside most of the time, and I agree with you that this is not the best for the cats. I don't think you are talking about owners like me, but I could be wrong. I would never consider keeping my cats inside all the time. They get restless and naughty if they can't go outside for at least part of the day - just like children who are kept inside in bad weather.

We have two cats, who are allowed outside during the daytime. They are free to come and go, indoors or outside as they please.

We have a large garden, with trees for them to climb and bushes for them to sleep under, if they wish. On fine days, they do a little circuit, visiting a few favourite haunts and meeting the neighbours' cats for a few minutes. They seem to have set up some sort of social network of tolerance and agreement over territory that involves no fights or loud yowling.

Most days, they go out for a while and then come inside to sleep or supervise me around the house.

At night, they are safely inside from dusk until long after dawn. They actually come inside voluntarily around 6 pm and 'ask' to go to bed - who says you can't train cats?

My 'girls' are spoiled rotten and I think they lead a very good life.

Celle: I do appreciate your love for your "girls" but, I fear for them crossing the street at dusk. For some reason cats are intrigued by the headlights of cars, trucks, trains, etc. and, will wander towards them.

My heart just breaks when I find injured cats on the side of the road. On more than one occasion, I've been known to pick them up and take them to a vet.

How smart your "girls" are to come in before it gets dark or dusk.

Mornin' all:

Celle: I believe everyone was talking about outdoor kitties that are destructive or a nuisance to neighbors. It sounds like your girls are well behaved and have you trained! Isn't that right about cats. Our little Leann Emily doesn't go out. First of all she is little. About 5 lbs? Second her sister before her had too many little accidents before she became an indoor kitty. Just too much for mom and pops to worry about whether she would come back injured or not at all.

So things have settled down next door. Don't know if he adjusted his meds or just decided he was wrong and felt bad. He did tell hubby sorry for spraying Jezzy, but he thought it was a good idea at the time. After all, we use a spray bottle on cats. Operative word, spray bottle not spray nozzle on the HOSE! Anyway, his truck is gone again. Maybe he went on another "vacation."

Everyone have a great day.

Nancy

"Whew" thank goodness the guys taking a break. Maybe he'll be more sociable when he returns.

Me thinks he was wound a bit too tight!

Okay, the Golf Tournament's over, it was amazing and we raised lots of money - [brenda loves going potty on the grounds of a country club!] She's such a diva!

Tonight we have an event at Galpin Ford. It's called Men's Night Out. There will be lots of expensive cars/antiques/sports cars and auction items.

There will be a cigar bar and lots of martini's and hors d'voures! Truly a man's night to enjoy himself. Without someone reminding him that he's eating too much beef or smoking one too many cigars.

When this event is over, our major fund raisers will be at rest until next year!

I didn't bring Brenny because the venue did'nt allow much for her "comfort zone".....hard, tile floors to sleep on, no grassy, gravely or good areas to go potty on and way too much distraction for her to use her good skills at.

I will have lots of associates working with me and helping to assist, if I need them.

Do I MISS BRENNY, oh, YES I DO! I miss her tail wagging and her nose poking and big brown eyes alerting me. I MISS HER HORRIBLY! And, knowing that she's at home with PaPa [having a break from me], is very re-assuring!

Believe me, I don't separate from her easily but, there are times I must be unselfish and think about her FIRST!

Gotta go help set-up registration.....talk to you later!

Celle: I do appreciate your love for your "girls" but, I fear for them crossing the street at dusk. For some reason cats are intrigued by the headlights of cars, trucks, trains, etc. and, will wander towards them.

My heart just breaks when I find injured cats on the side of the road. On more than one occasion, I've been known to pick them up and take them to a vet.

How smart your "girls" are to come in before it gets dark or dusk.

Hi Roz,

I read this thread every day and I love to hear about all the dogs and the people they own ;). Your Brenda is wonderful!

We had a beautiful golden retriever for 13 years and I still miss her. Now we've reluctantly decided that we can't make such a long-term commitment again, having retired and trying to travel while we can.

Yes, I worry about cats and night-time traffic. In the early days of our marriage, we did lose a cat that way. At that time, we lived in a house right beside the road. That's why all our successive cats have been kept inside at night.

Now, we live up a right-of-way, us and 4 neighbouring houses clustered at the end of a long driveway. The road is about 50 yards away and our cats don't seem to go there.

I don't give our cats their evening meal until they come inside in the evening - so you could say I bribe them with food.

Our son had an above-knee amputation 10 years ago and his little cat has been with him through thick and thin. She's a real companion cat to him.

Celle

Hi Roz,

I read this thread every day and I love to hear about all the dogs and the people they own ;). Your Brenda is wonderful!

We had a beautiful golden retriever for 13 years and I still miss her. Now we've reluctantly decided that we can't make such a long-term commitment again, having retired and trying to travel while we can.

Yes, I worry about cats and night-time traffic. In the early days of our marriage, we did lose a cat that way. At that time, we lived in a house right beside the road. That's why all our successive cats have been kept inside at night.

Now, we live up a right-of-way, us and 4 neighbouring houses clustered at the end of a long driveway. The road is about 50 yards away and our cats don't seem to go there.

I don't give our cats their evening meal until they come inside in the evening - so you could say I bribe them with food.

Our son had an above-knee amputation 10 years ago and his little cat has been with him through thick and thin. She's a real companion cat to him.

Celle

Oh, Celle: What a lovely story about your son. He certainly does have a true companion in his kitty.

You know, during the training of our amazing Service Dogs there are cats that are encouraged to roam through the training rooms and there are rabbits in cages [outside], all of which to desensitize the dogs in training.

I would love it when the graduating dogs would be working with their new partners and a cat would come in the room and saunter on by and the dogs would just ignore it.

The cat seemed to know what the dog was thinking .....["Oh, how lucky you are Mr. Kitty, that I'm a perfectly, well behaved future Service Dog, or your tush would be toast!"] The cat would give a glance, stick its nose in the air and just walk by! Truly a sight to see.....especially if you've ever been witness to what cats and dogs really think of each other in the outside world!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Oh, Celle: What a lovely story about your son. He certainly does have a true companion in his kitty.

You know, during the training of our amazing Service Dogs there are cats that are encouraged to roam through the training rooms and there are rabbits in cages [outside], all of which to desensitize the dogs in training.

I would love it when the graduating dogs would be working with their new partners and a cat would come in the room and saunter on by and the dogs would just ignore it.

The cat seemed to know what the dog was thinking .....["Oh, how lucky you are Mr. Kitty, that I'm a perfectly, well behaved future Service Dog, or your tush would be toast!"] The cat would give a glance, stick its nose in the air and just walk by! Truly a sight to see.....especially if you've ever been witness to what cats and dogs really think of each other in the outside world!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Thanks, Roz,

Our golden, Jess, was totally dominated by the cats we had. Her mother had fostered a kitten along with her puppies in the litter before Jess. Consequently, when Jess and her siblings were born, Mozart (now a full-grown cat) just climbed into the box with the puppies and they all knew from Day One that cats were part of their natural world.

When Jess arrived in our house, her tail wagged so fast to see two cat "friends". The cats took a little longer to warm to her, but they were soon climbing onto her bed - and she would get off, to let them!

At that time, we also had a very tame (and very big) white rabbit. He used to bounce up to the cats and they would wash his face. Jess never chased him. He never ran from her (I think that's the secret), but would just sit and let her nuzzle him. He'd sit on the couch with the kids, and watch TV. He house-trained himself (rabbits can!) and never disgraced himself indoors.

Yes, Tortie has been a blessing for our son. She used to ride zipped inside his bomber jacket on his motor bike when they were both smaller :D. And no, it wasn't a motor bike accident that made him lose his leg - it was another accident.

Celle

Sorry I haven't been around much. Things go well here in the sunny south. Lake levels are up and it's time for boating season. Sandy has put a bit of weight on over the winter and her life jacket was a bit snug, so she's on reduced rations(less snacks) and her exercise and mine are increasing. I'm training for the Iron Girl Triathalon next month so she is keeping me company on my run/walk.

I have to work so hard on loose leash walks that most of my sd aren't really good training partners. Crackers continues to do well. I'll have some time with him today. His trainer has been getting him out a lot with other volunteers lately. He's gotten pretty bonded to me, which is a good thing. It indicates he can bond well and should bond well to his future recepient. But it is time to really increase his exposure to lot's of different people and handling styles. I'm sure it will go well, but i look forward to hearing his reports.

Lot's of new puppies this spring. yellow and black bundles of fur and kisses. So cute.

Hi All, Hope things are well with all of you. It's very hot here the past few days and I don't like it! :mad: The air conditioner is working overtime to keep our babies cool. I finally got the supplement for the dogs today, but I'm not sure how to give it to them. It's a powder and I guess I could sprinkle it on their food?? Anyone use something like this? Or any suggestions how to give it to them??

Roz, I'm gld to hear your event went well. I can just picture Brenny relieving herself all over the course. Maybe she thought she was just watering the grass. In a few weeks we have an event at the "Eric Carle Museum Of Picture Book Art". It's a childrens festival celebrating dogs in picture books. There will be about 10 authors there. Since John is a teacher and used to be very involved in the school library, this is right up his alley. We will man an info table and John and Wex will be doing a few demonstrations.

Nancy, I'm glad things have calmed with the neighbor. Nothing worse than having to fight with the guy next door.

Sunshine, Is there anything you don't do? You are a nurse, a volunteer and now triathlete? OMG!! You are amazing. I wish you all the best.

The other day we went outside to take some pictures of the dogs. Bailee is very camera shy and runs away from it. We decided that all the pics in the house are of Wex and we needed to get some of her. So I played with her while John shot some pics. I'd like to share a coulpe of them. Of course I threw in one of Wex for ya.

Cindy

635256634_baileewexlercardinal042.jpg.95f39a6e8d34928c64cc054f0e9a182c.jpg

1432938680_baileewexlercardinal039.jpg.9a35ff54ad53bd3c14c97b09090f0918.jpg

1482659280_baileewexlercardinal020.jpg.64003cf1a9c79aea8944f80a6d0c8a36.jpg

Hi All, Hope things are well with all of you. It's very hot here the past few days and I don't like it! :mad: The air conditioner is working overtime to keep our babies cool. I finally got the supplement for the dogs today, but I'm not sure how to give it to them. It's a powder and I guess I could sprinkle it on their food?? Anyone use something like this? Or any suggestions how to give it to them??

Roz, I'm gld to hear your event went well. I can just picture Brenny relieving herself all over the course. Maybe she thought she was just watering the grass. In a few weeks we have an event at the "Eric Carle Museum Of Picture Book Art". It's a childrens festival celebrating dogs in picture books. There will be about 10 authors there. Since John is a teacher and used to be very involved in the school library, this is right up his alley. We will man an info table and John and Wex will be doing a few demonstrations.

Nancy, I'm glad things have calmed with the neighbor. Nothing worse than having to fight with the guy next door.

Sunshine, Is there anything you don't do? You are a nurse, a volunteer and now triathlete? OMG!! You are amazing. I wish you all the best.

The other day we went outside to take some pictures of the dogs. Bailee is very camera shy and runs away from it. We decided that all the pics in the house are of Wex and we needed to get some of her. So I played with her while John shot some pics. I'd like to share a coulpe of them. Of course I threw in one of Wex for ya.

Cindy

We use the oil and just "shpritz" it on her kibble [she takes two seconds to waft her nose over it] and then scarfs it all down!.....I imagine that the powder would be dispersed over the kibble in the same way-or, maybe you need to mix it in.

If Bailee's a Lab, she'll eat it like it was a sirloin steak....amazing appetites.

And, those pictures.....What can I say.....I want to take Bailee and just kiss every gray hair on her muzzle! What a precious dog!

I would love to see one of John's presentations.....Maybe one day!

And, if you think that these club members would even let Brenda get close enough to their course to even sniff it...dream on! I had to take her to a side yard, near their trash cans. Although, the side yard makes most back-yards look dim!

Wow, now, that's a cruise vacation. Thanks for making me drool!

I promise to help in everyway I can.....can I be your Service Person?

You know, in all the cruise travels that we've done with Brenny, she has not been on RCCL.

"Brenny's Bucket List" ~ Go on an RCCL cruise.

We're they accommodating and helpful towards "Oz"?

The staff on RCCL were fantastic and so accommodating. Initially they had put Oz's box (to do his thing) in the crew area. I was told that I could just call and someone would be there to let me in.........if I could hear to use the phone, I would not have a guide dog for the deaf eh? :) So, scrap that idea and the box was moved to the outside back area of the promenade deck. Thunderstorms and lightening here, so going to sign off for now....take care

The staff on RCCL were fantastic and so accommodating. Initially they had put Oz's box (to do his thing) in the crew area. I was told that I could just call and someone would be there to let me in.........if I could hear to use the phone, I would not have a guide dog for the deaf eh? :) So, scrap that idea and the box was moved to the outside back area of the promenade deck. Thunderstorms and lightening here, so going to sign off for now....take care

Well, now you see, I DON'T call that "accommadating." And, now that I think about it I think that Cari and Denver had problems on RCCI with the placment of the "box" and a door being locked!

Princess is ALWAYS looking for the "best" place to put the box [for you]! Love that! They put the box down the hall [about 10 doors] in a stairwell. Very private and very easy to access [in my PJ's]. It's out of the weather and aways away from other passengers. They've also put it in a closet [down the hall from our room], either place is my favorite!

I'm not liking puting it on the veranda anymore because, depending on the size of the veranda, it can be in the way. I also hate that it's exposed to the weather.

It won't stop me from trying RCCI and giving them my suggestions and trying their ships.

Hi All, Well Bailee started her supplement yesterday. I pray this helps her. She seems to be handling it just fine, I just spritz her food with alittle water and mix the powder in. Her and Wex are eating it up. I also found out about the shots, since Roz said they could be painful. And they are NOT cortisone shots, they are shots of glucosamine, called Adequan. It is administered intramuscularly, and is proven to actually stimulate cartilage repair. It binds to damaged cartilage and suppresses the enzymes that eat away at the joints. Also keeps joints lubricated and reduces swelling. I wish I had her on glucosamine a long time ago. We will hold off on the shots for now, hoping that the supplement will work enough to keep her comfortable. We will also keep her on Rimadyl for really bad days. The Vet feels she is not getting enough Rimadly to harm her and it works great for her. As I am writing this, It seems like shes really bad! She's not that bad, but her life is playing with the ball and I don't want to have to make her stop doing that. She loves to run and is still as nutty as ever. I know that Wex is making her run more (he loves to get the ball and be chased) but I think keeping her active is a good thing. We only let her play for so long and then we have to make her stop. Who would have thought at 12 1/2 she would be this active, but I love it!! I will keep you all posted on her progress since some of you have older dogs.

Cindy

Hi All, Well Bailee started her supplement yesterday. I pray this helps her. She seems to be handling it just fine, I just spritz her food with alittle water and mix the powder in. Her and Wex are eating it up. I also found out about the shots, since Roz said they could be painful. And they are NOT cortisone shots, they are shots of glucosamine, called Adequan. It is administered intramuscularly, and is proven to actually stimulate cartilage repair. It binds to damaged cartilage and suppresses the enzymes that eat away at the joints. Also keeps joints lubricated and reduces swelling. I wish I had her on glucosamine a long time ago. We will hold off on the shots for now, hoping that the supplement will work enough to keep her comfortable. We will also keep her on Rimadyl for really bad days. The Vet feels she is not getting enough Rimadly to harm her and it works great for her. As I am writing this, It seems like shes really bad! She's not that bad, but her life is playing with the ball and I don't want to have to make her stop doing that. She loves to run and is still as nutty as ever. I know that Wex is making her run more (he loves to get the ball and be chased) but I think keeping her active is a good thing. We only let her play for so long and then we have to make her stop. Who would have thought at 12 1/2 she would be this active, but I love it!! I will keep you all posted on her progress since some of you have older dogs.

Cindy

Thanks for the update, Cindy. Yep! Brenda is an older dog and I was told to put her on Glucosamine and Chondroitin years ago and I did. I hope it helps. I don't notice much change in her running and jumping just a little more hesitancy when she has to jump into my suv. It's pretty tall and she needs a liittle more prompting than she used to.

I bought a ramp for her when she got sick a few years ago, thinking that she'd always need it. But, once she recovered the ramp is something that is just taking-up space in trunk now. Hopefully, I won't need to use it for a very long time.

The information on the injections is amazing, it's remarkable what has been discovered to help animals.

Hi All, I can't believe I'm writing this but Bailee died today. She had a tumor in her spleen and it burst. We are devastated to say the least. She had a great life and a good friend in Wexy. We will all miss her very much.

Cindy, John & Wexler

Cindy,

OMG, my heart hit my stomach as soon as I saw you posted again. I don't know how I knew, but I did. I am so sorry. She did have a beautiful life and know that her last couple of months with Wexy were better for her. Give John and Wexy an extra big hug and yourself as well. She is romping with Reno and he is proudly showing her around to all of his human and furbaby friends. He even has a sister kitty I am sure he has introduced her to.

Nancy

Cindy, I am so sorry. My heart just broke a bit with your news. I am sure you are still looking over your shoulder to see her, or hearing her nails on the floor. I'm sure Wexie will do what he can do help you and John heal.

Karen

Cindy,

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailee. Our dogs are such a close part of our lives. It's devastating when they have to go.

It will take time, but the grief will eventually turn to fond memories. Everything I could say sounds so trite, but my thoughts are with you and your family today.

Celle

Thanks for all your kind words. Not like I haven't been through this before, but it's so darn hard. I'm tired of crying, but I miss her so much. Everything I do I am turning around to see where she is. I know it gets better and I'm glad we have Wex. He is all over me. He can't seem to figure out why she is not here. He has been raised with dogs all his life, he is like a little lost soul. He lost his best friend. I feel so bad for him.

Cindy