Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Not sure if I posted this, but even if I did it's worth another look ;)

http://www.wimp.com/guiltiestdog/

Awwwwww! What a cutie pie.....If that dog lived in my house she'd get away with anything she wanted! I love her smile!!!! And, she's built just like Miss "B"!

We have to be so careful now because Horton can reach everything on our kitchen counter top.

This morning he gave me a black eye......I was cleaning his ears and he started shaking his head before I could get out of the way......Charming, just in time for the New Years Eve party!!!! :(

Another chapter for my book!!!!

They all are, Blitz is not only a huge help with my outside needs but also my inside needs. He is also still a huge puppy and my issues are workable also. Since my motivation to leave the house decreased due to more issues with legs and just dang tired of the VA it has impacted my home life. While I am not a certified dog trainer I believe I am pretty dang good with the K9 world. From a blimp on CNN about me and King after Katrina to my latest pup named Blitz. I had forgotten that allot to do with training is a internal thing and your mind set. This revolves around your mental state of mind which our pets and service animals feed off of. I could be a walking and talking commercial for the Dog Whisper for sure. Its really wild how so much of his way of training involves the pack leader and mental state of mind. Its all 100% true and I subscribe to his method and have for years. Since following Caesar my ability to get animals (not just dogs) to do what I wish is amazing, even fish follow the same guide lines; abit very loosely..... lol

I hope my advice does work for you and I am more than willing to help any one here who might have questions. Although I do believe at least half of you are on my level or better than I am currently.

With that I will bid every one a happy and safe holiday.

The same to you and yours!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY DEAR FRIENDS!

Alot of us have had a rough year and here's hoping the new year brings us only bliss!!!!! :D

The very same to you dear Cindy and to John and Wexy too. I hope that all John's health issues are behind him and that the coming year brings you all good health and much laughter.

You're certainly starting off the year the right way, with a wonderful cruise. I hope this will be your best cruise ever!!!!! And, that you plan many more in the future!

This morning he gave me a black eye......I was cleaning his ears and he started shaking his head before I could get out of the way......Charming, just in time for the New Years Eve party!!!! :(

:eek: Gotta watch out for those big lab heads! :eek:

John is feeling good. Cold has gone away...finally. Of course this is my stress time. So much to do is making my head spin. Today I am going to hunt down an ironing board. There seems to be so many wrinkly things and we only have a board that goes on the table, it's just not gonna work. I'm going home tomorrow to take mom shopping, to make sure my son has all his stuff, and pick up a few last minute things that I need. As if I don't have enough to do, mom wants me to cook a turkey she has in the freezer!!!! Really????? This week?? OMG!

I am also trying to find out somewhere I can get my new camera manual cd made into a small booklet. How can they not give people a manual?? This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. What I have to have a computer with me if I need to look something up? Am I supposed to waste 200 sheets of paper and ink to print it myself? :eek: Then I can walk around with a big 8x10 notebook??

Thank god that John is my employer and I have the freedom of getting this stuff done without working a 9 to 5 job.

OK done ranting!!! Thanks for listening. Time to smile!!!:D:D:D:D

Mornin' all:

Happy New Year!

Cindy: Have a great cruise! Can't wait to hear about it. And of course pictures! I have the same issues with a camera we just bought. WTH? No manual, just a cd and of course we are having computer issues. I can't even set the date and time on it. Hubby said "What happened to the old point and click?" I said,"You mean my 35mm that I loved, but you insisted we get a digital?" That ended that conversation quickly............

Roz: A black eye? Really, Horty you have to be careful with mommy! Last week I finished up putting drops in Jezzy's ears, you are right have to have the perfect timing to get out of the way and she only weighs 23 lbs!

I don't know if anyone watches the Tournament Of Roses Parade, but they just had a float with dogs surfing in it. They have kennel/cars along the outside that takes the dog back to the otherside of the float so they can surf again!!!!! :eek: It's amazing!!!

Happy New Year! Just back from a crazy New Year's Eve party with a bunch of 20 somethings...Sandy stayed behind this trip. There should be an upper age limit on games involving ping pong balls, solo cups and assorted beverages. Rich and I are slowly recovering. Off to work with Mackey and Cooler tomorow.

Happy New Year everyone!! Sorry I haven't been around much. I took last week off from work and didn't have alot of time for computer stuff. Today we become temp. puppy raisers. Our puppy raiser friend up in CT. is raising Pascal. (Cindy, you know him) She is going on vacation so our other puppy raiser friends her in NJ

(Cindy, you know them too) are watching him. They need to go out of town for a few days so Pascal is coming to our house. So we will have our 12 year old yellow lab (Magic), our 6 year old Yorkie (Chaos), Orson of course and little Pascal (around 4 months). So it's gonna be an interesting week.

I don't know if anyone watches the Tournament Of Roses Parade, but they just had a float with dogs surfing in it. They have kennel/cars along the outside that takes the dog back to the otherside of the float so they can surf again!!!!! :eek: It's amazing!!!

The dogs look like they're having alot of fun! Here's a link to some LA Times pictures (click on #10): http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-rose-parade-winners-gallery3,0,5381312.photogallery

Happy New Year! Just back from a crazy New Year's Eve party with a bunch of 20 somethings...Sandy stayed behind this trip. There should be an upper age limit on games involving ping pong balls, solo cups and assorted beverages. Rich and I are slowly recovering. Off to work with Mackey and Cooler tomorow.

Sunshine, this is so funny......there is an age limit but I have no idea what it is!!!! :D Now that I have a dog to "glide" with me through life there's so much catching-up to do!!!!! :p

Happy New Year everyone!! Sorry I haven't been around much. I took last week off from work and didn't have alot of time for computer stuff. Today we become temp. puppy raisers. Our puppy raiser friend up in CT. is raising Pascal. (Cindy, you know him) She is going on vacation so our other puppy raiser friends her in NJ

(Cindy, you know them too) are watching him. They need to go out of town for a few days so Pascal is coming to our house. So we will have our 12 year old yellow lab (Magic), our 6 year old Yorkie (Chaos), Orson of course and little Pascal (around 4 months). So it's gonna be an interesting week.

Talk about busy.......You've got your own zoo!!!! Have fun!

So, yesterday it was Horton's "well-dog" check-up and a chance for our Vet to meet him; pick-up his International Certificate for travel, etc., etc.

To start with he's such an amazing boy at the doctor's; he's calm, ready to help; stands on the scale like a pro, is extremely cooperative [the assistants just fell in love with him]. He got his micro-chip implanted, had his knees, hips, heart and lungs examined and passed with flying colors except,.........he's got ear infections in both ears. The Vet said that the infections have been going on for at least 6 weeks, they involve a lot of yeast and, this means he left CCI with them [poor baby].....he had a cortisone injection, an ear wash and by the time I was through it was $360.00. He had started shaking his head the day before the visit and I was getting more and more suspicious that something was going on inside those "elephant ears!" Boy, was there!!!!!

We're past that and today he's got a tummy ache from the shot and is a bit lethargic but he's not shaking his head like a mad-man anymore!!!!!! And, he's getting lots of hugs and kisses from me and Brenda. PaPa is pretty crazy about him too!

Aside from the huge Vet bill [i just have to keep working a little longer] and those damn Lab ears........I'm mad about the boy. He sleeps with me every night and is learning that I will turn him over when he refuses to make room for me [i angle my hands under his butt and swivel those 10 foot legs around] and, there's room for me!!!!! ;)

Hi -

I promised a month ago to return to this board and post regarding our experience going to Hawaii on the Queen Victoria. Long story short, the cruise was fabulous! Asta had a great time, and lots of attention from all the people wishing they had a dog, or missing their family member at home.

With my own experiences getting paperwork and supplies prepared for the trip, I started a blog to help other travellers with service dogs find the info they need. It is at: www.travelindog.blogspot.com.

Specifically I promised to report on the potty situation on Cunard. Full details with pictures are at http://travelindog.blogspot.com/2011/12/cruising-necessities-dog-potty.html

Here is the basic info:

Cunard 4x6 plastic box/boat (sturdily built) with cyprus mulch on the bottom.

Asta is trained to go on artificial grass here at home. My mom lives in an apartment with a large balcony, so the dog potty stays outside, where she can go when she wants. So, we brought (shipped ahead) a small dog potty and put it outside on our personal deck. Put a disposable pee pad under the artificial grass, and clean up was easy! Asta's was by Pup-head - a small 3 x 3 plastic tray with decent quality artificial grass - good for travel.

Happy New Year to all.

P.S. Cunard provided a life vest for Asta! We brought our own, but it was very good of them to do this!

Edited by Laura-SF

Hi -

I promised a month ago to return to this board and post regarding our experience going to Hawaii on the Queen Victoria. Long story short, the cruise was fabulous! Asta had a great time, and lots of attention from all the people wishing they had a dog, or missing their family member at home.

With my own experiences getting paperwork and supplies prepared for the trip, I started a blog to help other travellers with service dogs find the info they need. It is at: www.travelindog.blogspot.com.

Specifically I promised to report on the potty situation on Cunard. Full details with pictures are at http://travelindog.blogspot.com/2011/12/cruising-necessities-dog-potty.html

Here is the basic info:

Cunard 4x6 plastic box/boat (sturdily built) with cyprus mulch on the bottom.

Asta is trained to go on artificial grass here at home. My mom lives in an apartment with a large balcony, so the dog potty stays outside, where she can go when she wants. So, we brought (shipped ahead) a small dog potty and put it outside on our personal deck. Put a disposable pee pad under the artificial grass, and clean up was easy! Asta's was by Pup-head - a small 3 x 3 plastic tray with decent quality artificial grass - good for travel.

Happy New Year to all.

P.S. Cunard provided a life vest for Asta! We brought our own, but it was very good of them to do this!

Thank you so much for the wonderful blog and all the information that you provided.

Princess has changed their pottybox to a larger, more sturdy box filled with cyprus mulch......Loved it! Or, rather, Brenda loved it. It was so convenient and easy for her to use. They were still using the stairwell [near my cabin] and, I could have sold tickets to some of the other passengers who just had to see it and watch how Brenda used it!!!!!

Princess also provided a life vest for Brenda as did Carnival.

It is absolutely wonderful to see that the cruiselines are becoming so accommodating and friendly towards our canine partners. :)

Wow Den you really have your hands full!! :eek: Good luck with that.