Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

How did they come up with that percentage? Leave it to the masses to come up with a law for the few who have to follow it!

What the heck did I say? :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous isn't it!

Mind you, from what I remember from our visit, The Vatican would be a challenge to go around if you had difficulty walking - there is a lot of walking, up and down and of course, they simply can't adapt some parts of it because of the age and nature of the buildings. Like the rest of Rome and a lot of Europe, continental and the UK. We still have cobbled streets, and it's lovely to see them either original or having been restored, but I imagine they would be a nightmare for wheelchairs users.

I suppose it's always about a balance of keeping our heritage but at the same time trying to enable that everyone enjoys it. :)

The Queen's "ladies in waiting" are there to help her - here's a link.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/RoyalHouseholddepartments/ThePrivateSecretarysOffice/LadiesinWaitingandEquerries.aspx

Anyway, your Maj, we are off this weekend on our next adventure! We are cruising across "the pond" and then having a few days in sunny Florida before heading home again. Everything's ready to go, just the bit I don't like of putting the four legged pals to their hotels. But in view of DKD's recent trip with Ocho, I am putting it all in perspective and will try not to be a woosie girl when I drop them off! Be good while I'm gone and don't get up to too much mischief!!!

Big hugs to you all :-)

Guess I was wrong with the lady in waiting. oops!

You are going on a cruise to Florida? Very nice. It's 33 degrees here but it feels alot colder. Enjoy the warmth of Florida!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've already learned so much from reading some of your posts. I'm hoping to become a regular if all goes well.

I'm a longtime cruiser, in fact I worked as a sales rep for Royal Viking Line back in the 1980s, before I began to lose my hearing. Now I have severe to profound loss in both ears. I'm a writer and this summer I interviewed a woman with a Hearing Dog certified for public access (who has become a good, long-distance friend). After months of thought, I decided to apply for one.

I was thrilled to pass the initial paperwork/audiologist/med forms application very quickly, and we had our in-home interview two weeks ago. So now I am waiting to learn if I will be added to the waiting list. Then it could take a year or two, or longer. My fingers are crossed.

Anyway, just wanted to say a big thank you for all the good information you all share. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for the quick responses! We are inclined to take her because of the length of the trip, but I didn't want to get into a situation where my husband stood outside with the dog and I took a tour. With his previous dog (named Hero, another wonderful name) we were in the Caribbean at several of the islands that don't allow dogs no matter what, and we always found someone who was happy to dog sit. Once in Alaska, we were going on a canoe trip and didn't think we should take a 90 pound lab in a canoe with us. Hero stayed with the Hotel Director that we had become friends with. We got back from our day, and we discovered that she had taken him into town. She said that she had gone into Starbucks with him. They asked if he was a service dog, and she replied that he was. We laughed about it, but we never imagined that she would take him off the ship. We are very protective of our babies.

Avanti's name means "forward" in Italian, so it's a great name for a guide dog. She's a smaller lab, just about 60 pounds. It's funny, because Hero was a serious guy, and was always concerned that things be done correctly. We did a round trip to Hawaii with all the sea days, and as a special treat, we told him he could get up on the bed with us. That was something that he never did at home (big dog, small bed). Well, he sat there and looked miserable as though he thought someone would walk in and yell at him, so we let him get back down. Avanti is a little on the wacky side, and is more what people think of as a typical lab personality. Put the harness on and she's all business.

We've got a year before our trip, so I've got a lot of time to make sure we have our ducks in a row. Thanks for the help.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've already learned so much from reading some of your posts. I'm hoping to become a regular if all goes well.

I'm a longtime cruiser, in fact I worked as a sales rep for Royal Viking Line back in the 1980s, before I began to lose my hearing. Now I have severe to profound loss in both ears. I'm a writer and this summer I interviewed a woman with a Hearing Dog certified for public access (who has become a good, long-distance friend). After months of thought, I decided to apply for one.

I was thrilled to pass the initial paperwork/audiologist/med forms application very quickly, and we had our in-home interview two weeks ago. So now I am waiting to learn if I will be added to the waiting list. Then it could take a year or two, or longer. My fingers are crossed.

Anyway, just wanted to say a big thank you for all the good information you all share. I'll keep you posted.

Welcome Chris,

We are an interesting bunch here. You didn't say which organization you are working with but I thought I'd let you know that Canine Companions For Independence also provides hearing dogs. They provide them free of charge.

A lot of folks here are involved with the organization. It might not be a bad idea to look into them as well. Just my

2 cents. :D

Anyway, your Maj, we are off this weekend on our next adventure! We are cruising across "the pond" and then having a few days in sunny Florida before heading home again. Everything's ready to go, just the bit I don't like of putting the four legged pals to their hotels. But in view of DKD's recent trip with Ocho, I am putting it all in perspective and will try not to be a woosie girl when I drop them off! Be good while I'm gone and don't get up to too much mischief!!!

m2cp.gif

The Queen's "ladies in waiting" are there to help her - here's a link.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/RoyalHouseholddepartments/ThePrivateSecretarysOffice/LadiesinWaitingandEquerries.aspx

Have a safe and wonderful time. Leaving your kids will be tough but, because they're not Service Beings they need to be with the other "Dogs In Waiting!" ;)

It's ridiculous isn't it!

Mind you, from what I remember from our visit, The Vatican would be a challenge to go around if you had difficulty walking - there is a lot of walking, up and down and of course, they simply can't adapt some parts of it because of the age and nature of the buildings. Like the rest of Rome and a lot of Europe, continental and the UK. We still have cobbled streets, and it's lovely to see them either original or having been restored, but I imagine they would be a nightmare for wheelchairs users.

I suppose it's always about a balance of keeping our heritage but at the same time trying to enable that everyone enjoys it. :)

I love to see the cobblestone streets and the old architecture but as you mentioned it's impossible for wheelchairs and walkers to maneuver. It's even difficult for able bodies folks!

Guess I was wrong with the lady in waiting. oops!

You are going on a cruise to Florida? Very nice. It's 33 degrees here but it feels alot colder. Enjoy the warmth of Florida!

She snuck this right in, under our noses! How can we travel vicariously if we don't share our plans with each other? :confused: :rolleyes: We must talk to her when she returns!!!!

We had a heat wave here yesterday, it was 90 degrees!!!! What the heck! Usually when we have drastic weather, it's usually followed by an earthquake! :eek:

Chris: Congratulations! You're on a wonderful journey. Your life will never be the same. In a very different and very good way!!!!

What organization did you choose? As I'm sure you've already read, a lot of us are with Canine Companions for Independence but I know there are other really wonderful orgs. out there.

When you've had success with two amazing Service Dogs from one org. you tend to be a bit biased!

The wait was the most difficult part of the process, it's brutal. But, when it starts happening and your invited to Team Training, it all happens so fast, you wish it would slow down. Mark my words!

My advice to you.......deep breaths. The next few years of your life will be "life changing!" Miracle's will happen. Tears will be shed and a million more friends will be had.

Since you're a writer......start and keep your journal going. Make an album, where you'll keep pictures of your journey. You won't be sorry. Because when you, years and years from now, are looking into the eyes of your very first Hearing Dog and he/she is a senior, you'll ALWAYS have a log of stories and pictures to remind you of the day you first met and fell in love, DEEPLY, HONESTLY, ASKING NOTHING IN RETURN, LOVE!!!!!

Thank you for the quick responses! We are inclined to take her because of the length of the trip, but I didn't want to get into a situation where my husband stood outside with the dog and I took a tour. With his previous dog (named Hero, another wonderful name) we were in the Caribbean at several of the islands that don't allow dogs no matter what, and we always found someone who was happy to dog sit. Once in Alaska, we were going on a canoe trip and didn't think we should take a 90 pound lab in a canoe with us. Hero stayed with the Hotel Director that we had become friends with. We got back from our day, and we discovered that she had taken him into town. She said that she had gone into Starbucks with him. They asked if he was a service dog, and she replied that he was. We laughed about it, but we never imagined that she would take him off the ship. We are very protective of our babies.

Avanti's name means "forward" in Italian, so it's a great name for a guide dog. She's a smaller lab, just about 60 pounds. It's funny, because Hero was a serious guy, and was always concerned that things be done correctly. We did a round trip to Hawaii with all the sea days, and as a special treat, we told him he could get up on the bed with us. That was something that he never did at home (big dog, small bed). Well, he sat there and looked miserable as though he thought someone would walk in and yell at him, so we let him get back down. Avanti is a little on the wacky side, and is more what people think of as a typical lab personality. Put the harness on and she's all business.

We've got a year before our trip, so I've got a lot of time to make sure we have our ducks in a row. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for sharing the stories of your wonderful dogs with us.

Your dogs are the opposite of mine. My first dog [brenda, she's in my Avatar] was very serious about her tasks, [weighs 60 lbs], not a risk taker at all and never liked other dogs much [but adores Horton.] She's now 13.5 years old and is living the life of leisure at home. Our second [Horton], well, he's a goofball, takes all sorts of risks, does everything with great gusto [nearly knocks me over in the process], weighs about 90 lbs, and loves other dogs. He's the wacky one and makes Brenda and me smile every day!

Brenda was very good at everything except she loved to lunge forward when she'd see other people or dogs coming at us. Not in an angry way but still it was my most unfavorite thing about her personality. Horton NEVER does this. He's a great dog to walk and go into public with. With all his craziness, he has better public manners than she had.

You have lots of time to plan your trip, that's good! Please stay and add to our forum.

Welcome Chris! The best of luck getting your hearing dog. My hubby has a service dog and he is wonderful! It's really a blessing. We are here to help any way we can.

Welcome Chris,

We are an interesting bunch here. You didn't say which organization you are working with but I thought I'd let you know that Canine Companions For Independence also provides hearing dogs. They provide them free of charge.

A lot of folks here are involved with the organization. It might not be a bad idea to look into them as well. Just my

2 cents. :D

Hmmmm you refer to us as " an interesting bunch" that doesn't sound good to the newbies. :eek:

She snuck this right in, under our noses! How can we travel vicariously if we don't share our plans with each other? :confused: :rolleyes: We must talk to her when she returns!!!!

We had a heat wave here yesterday, it was 90 degrees!!!! What the heck! Usually when we have drastic weather, it's usually followed by an earthquake! :eek:

So I wasn't the only one that didn't know she was going anywhere? I'm glad, kinda felt stupid! :eek:

90?? I'll take 30 over 90. Its wonderful brisk air! Breathe in....ahhhhhh

So I wasn't the only one that didn't know she was going anywhere? I'm glad, kinda felt stupid! :eek:

90?? I'll take 30 over 90. Its wonderful brisk air! Breathe in....ahhhhhh

I know, we're almost at TurkeyDay and it's 90 degrees! :eek: So BORING!!!!! :rolleyes:

Although, I better shut my mouth and slap my hands.......I'll take "boring" any day to what some people are suffering with their weather around our world.

I want to wish all our Philipino friends and cruise ship staff who have suffered losses from this horrible storm my very best wishes and love.

I pray that life will be normal for you once again!

Welcome Chris! The best of luck getting your hearing dog. My hubby has a service dog and he is wonderful! It's really a blessing. We are here to help any way we can.

Hmmmm you refer to us as " an interesting bunch" that doesn't sound good to the newbies. :eek:

And you would describe this bunch as??

I'm so sorry, but I thought I told you all ages ago we were doing this TA ..... It's snuck around so fast, I can hardly believe myself we are off so soon!

Rangeley - we've been having -2C at night rising to 7C in the day, so I am definitely looking forward to warmer weather. And those stores in Florida are just begging me to come and do my Christmas shopping!

I think DKD is right - at least there's never a dull moment around here! :D

Welcome Caribbean Chris - good luck with your plans. :) I'm sure you've read all about Colleen's recent experiences (MCDW) with her beloved retired hearing dog Oz and her new girl, Misty. I'm wondering how Colleen is getting on with her training with Misty. I did laugh when she told us about getting busted!

I'm hoping that we will be able to get Internet on the ship, but you know what that could be like mid-Atlantic, so if I do and can tear myself away from eating, drinking, and everything else that we love about cruising, I will pop in and say "hello"! ;)

Sorry again, pleeeezs forgive me ..... :p:D you know I love you guys .... :D

I'm so sorry, but I thought I told you all ages ago we were doing this TA ..... It's snuck around so fast, I can hardly believe myself we are off so soon!

Rangeley - we've been having -2C at night rising to 7C in the day, so I am definitely looking forward to warmer weather. And those stores in Florida are just begging me to come and do my Christmas shopping!

I think DKD is right - at least there's never a dull moment around here! :D

Welcome Caribbean Chris - good luck with your plans. :) I'm sure you've read all about Colleen's recent experiences (MCDW) with her beloved retired hearing dog Oz and her new girl, Misty. I'm wondering how Colleen is getting on with her training with Misty. I did laugh when she told us about getting busted!

I'm hoping that we will be able to get Internet on the ship, but you know what that could be like mid-Atlantic, so if I do and can tear myself away from eating, drinking, and everything else that we love about cruising, I will pop in and say "hello"! ;)

Sorry again, pleeeezs forgive me ..... :p:D you know I love you guys .... :D

You just go on now, don't worry about us being left behind here to worry about you. Just go, just go!

All kidding aside......have a gloriously wonderful time. Please come back and tell us all about it. We'll miss you!

That is outrageous! :mad: Kudos to his fellow passengers. That flight attendant should be fired. I hope the man sues the airline. Here's another article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/14/travel/blind-man-us-airways-incident/.