Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

[quote name='cjborne2'][quote name='breannaah']Hello I am new to this forum. I just have a question for my other cruisers. I have traveled before with my service dog on the short 5 day carnival cruises. But in a few months I will be going on the Carnival Magic 7 day cruise to Cozumel Mexico Grand cayman and Montego Bay ,Jamaica I know we can get off in grand cayman and Mexico we didn't have a issue in Mexico. Do any of you guys have experience in Jamaica or possibly have a umber or email I can contact to see what forms I will need from my vet any information will be greatly appreciated.

Please, please, please follow up with Carnival a few days before you leave to make sure they have everything set. We had issues with the potty box not being set up when we got on board as well as issues in Nassau. We had the correct papers and didn't have a problem in Freeport, but "we" did not tell the transportation people that "we" were taking the dog with us on the bus. It was a huge problem. (Nevermind the fact we had NO trouble in Freeport on the same type of transportation). We wasted a lot of time getting it straightened out on our Atlantis day and we had to cut the day short because we had to arrange our own transportation back to the ship. It was a mess.

I was not impressed with the "refer to pettravel.com website" for what papers were needed. Carnival could not supply the answers to questions regarding paperwork. Our vet and the folks here were much more helpful.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]You are so right about contacting the ship before you leave, this is very important to the comfort of your dog and the sanity of you. For Carnival it's the Guest Access Services Dept. 1-800.438.6744 Ext:70025.

Remember; you may have the potty box set-up near your cabin in an employee work closet or [my favorite] in a stairwell. Sometimes a crew member will tell you that it's a "security" issue and they have a specific place for the potty box [which maybe in the most inconvenient place.] It's your cruise and you may request that they place the box closer to where you'd like. I insist on where I want it and they move it.

I do understand that they would prefer to place it where it's convenient for them and it's not been good. If they won't move it ask to speak with the Hotel Manager.......I promise they'll move it then![/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

[quote name='cjborne2']Put the doggie Mickey ears on the pup and you'll have all kinds of people stopping you!
"Look that dog has ears!" Well of course he does, all dogs have ears.:D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]So cute. My Brenny did not like wearing anything on her head and would immediately take it off........Horton, on the other hand, will wear anything and loves parading around and showing off![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='cjborne2']We take the dog everywhere on the ship. If you think he might be too hot by the pool, take a towel for him to lay on and maybe an umbrella that you can prop between two pool chairs to shade him from the sun. We have used the umbrella at little league games and a lot of time he is a lot cooler than we are.

We too have a Seeing Eye Dog and I am the seeing eye wife. The dog is so used to being around people that he gets very anxious while left alone in our own house. We couldn't leave the dog in the room.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Yep! Don't take a step outside my door without my dog partner. We're stuck like glue.

The upper deck of a cruise ship can be extremely hot. Be careful with your dog and look for his discomfort when his paws hit the floor of the pool decks.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='cjborne2']We take the dog everywhere on the ship. If you think he might be too hot by the pool, take a towel for him to lay on and maybe an umbrella that you can prop between two pool chairs to shade him from the sun. We have used the umbrella at little league games and a lot of time he is a lot cooler than we are.

We too have a Seeing Eye Dog and I am the seeing eye wife. The dog is so used to being around people that he gets very anxious while left alone in our own house. We couldn't leave the dog in the room.[/QUOTE]

Well I certainly wouldn't do something my dog wouldn't be comfortable with. I often do things without him, either with my wife or on my own since I have some vision, and like I said, he's been on a tie-down in hotel rooms multiple times with no issues.

I understand I could bring him to the pool area, or most ports, but it's a personal preference not to do so. A personal preference that, unfortunately, it looks like I will not be able to take advantage of. I will be looking at options for him to stay behind for the ten days I'll be gone--hopefully I can get a friend to watch him.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.

[quote name='PaulInPGH']Well I certainly wouldn't do something my dog wouldn't be comfortable with. I often do things without him, either with my wife or on my own since I have some vision, and like I said, he's been on a tie-down in hotel rooms multiple times with no issues.

I understand I could bring him to the pool area, or most ports, but it's a personal preference not to do so. A personal preference that, unfortunately, it looks like I will not be able to take advantage of. I will be looking at options for him to stay behind for the ten days I'll be gone--hopefully I can get a friend to watch him.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Paul, I wish we lived closer, I'd love to watch such a brilliant and shining star as a Seeing Eye Dog. It would be my honor to be his "mommy for the week!" Of course you would have a hard time with me giving him back. ;)

I hope you find someone to help you out. I used to have relatives in Squirrel Hill. Love Pittsburgh, it's full of really good memories for me.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='breannaah']I am going on the same cruise a in a few months also!!! With my service dog also. I know we cannot get off in Jamaica we found that out for sure. The other two stops we can get off. :) hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Hey, Paul, there's your person to watch your dog while you go off the ship!

This could work out better than you thought![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='PaulInPGH']Well I certainly wouldn't do something my dog wouldn't be comfortable with. I often do things without him, either with my wife or on my own since I have some vision, and like I said, he's been on a tie-down in hotel rooms multiple times with no issues.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.[/quote

I believe that the Seeing Eye will take care of your dog. That might work out for you if you're cruising out of NY or NJ. We are kicking around a trip to Europe in 2 or 3 years. We most likely need to come up with options for the dog ourselves. He will most likely be retired by then anyway.

[quote name='cjborne2'][quote name='PaulInPGH']Well I certainly wouldn't do something my dog wouldn't be comfortable with. I often do things without him, either with my wife or on my own since I have some vision, and like I said, he's been on a tie-down in hotel rooms multiple times with no issues.

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.[/quote

I believe that the Seeing Eye will take care of your dog. That might work out for you if you're cruising out of NY or NJ. We are kicking around a trip to Europe in 2 or 3 years. We most likely need to come up with options for the dog ourselves. He will most likely be retired by then anyway.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]My dogs are not Seeing Eye Dogs but I'm a bit confused on the advantages vs. disadvantages to taking and leaving your dog behind on various occasions. Is this particularly done with folks who have a seeing partner and why? Could someone please clarify.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Quam: How's your girl doing. How are her treatments going? How are you doing with all of the added "stuff" you have to do for her? I know I would do anything and everything if Horton needed me to.

Let us know how her journey is progressing.[/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

[quote name='cjborne2']I believe that the Seeing Eye will take care of your dog. That might work out for you if you're cruising out of NY or NJ. We are kicking around a trip to Europe in 2 or 3 years. We most likely need to come up with options for the dog ourselves. He will most likely be retired by then anyway.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's something I didn't know. It won't work in this case, as we are cruising out of New Orleans, but I will certainly keep it in mind for future travel.

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Paul, I wish we lived closer, I'd love to watch such a brilliant and shining star as a Seeing Eye Dog. It would be my honor to be his "mommy for the week!" Of course you would have a hard time with me giving him back. ;)

I hope you find someone to help you out. I used to have relatives in Squirrel Hill. Love Pittsburgh, it's full of really good memories for me.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks, I appreciate the thought. I do think it's likely I will find a friend to take care of him for the ten days I'll be gone.

Yes, my wife and I like Pittsburgh quite a lot. We've been here for almost 2 years now and prefer it to where we were before (living outside Philadelphia). And for me, being from Florida originally, I much prefer Pittsburgh's cooler climate and better blind-friendly public transit.

Paul

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][quote name='cjborne2']

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]My dogs are not Seeing Eye Dogs but I'm a bit confused on the advantages vs. disadvantages to taking and leaving your dog behind on various occasions. Is this particularly done with folks who have a seeing partner and why? Could someone please clarify.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I think this is mostly a matter of personal preference, so everyone's milage may vary, but I will try to explain my own view on this, both in relation to cruising and in regular day-to-day life.

I have some vision, so that allows me more freedom to do things without my dogs assistance. I primarily need him to help guide me through unfamiliar places, and only when I'm alone. If I'm out with my wife, it is typically more convenient to have her help me. My dog guides me to and from work each day, which involves taking public transit and walking downtown, but if my wife and I go to a sporting event, or to see a local band at a bar, I don't typically bring my dog. My dog is very at home in a crate, and he has a very calm and easy-going personality, which is one of the reasons I know he would be ok slumbering in our stateroom for a few hours, if that was permitted.

This doesn't mean I don't rely on my dog, because I do. My independent travel is much, much improved when having him along. However, I probably rely on him less than most because of my level of vision, and the amount of time I do things in my wife's company.

Like I said, everyone will have different views, based on their needs/preferences. I hope that clarifies a little where I'm coming from with this whole conversation.

Paul

In our case, Ollie really does go most places with us. More recently when my husband has band practice, it's small, loud, and smoky. I don't like being there lol. He will sometimes go out to hear a band play and leaves the dog home (often with me as that is not my thing). We have narrowed down a few places the pup doesn't like. The short list includes the gun range, monster truck show, and the Baltimore Grand Prix. He is getting older and we can't push him as hard as we used to be able to.

[quote name='cjborne2']In our case, Ollie really does go most places with us. More recently when my husband has band practice, it's small, loud, and smoky. I don't like being there lol. He will sometimes go out to hear a band play and leaves the dog home (often with me as that is not my thing). We have narrowed down a few places the pup doesn't like. The short list includes the gun range, monster truck show, and the Baltimore Grand Prix. He is getting older and we can't push him as hard as we used to be able to.[/QUOTE]

I'm a musician as well. I was playing full-time before I met my wife and during that period I took my dog to all sorts of bars and restaurants in and around the Philadelphia/NJ shore area. He handled it all like a champ, never an issue.

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Paul & CJ thank you so much for sharing your stories and how you work with your dogs. It's both interesting and helpful. Thank you for being so candid.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]My Brenda would have stayed in her kennel and done very well. She liked being alone. Horton, not so much. Sounds put him into full protective and "alert" mode. He's constantly working and has a difficult time going into a true relaxing "sleep", although, once he falls asleep he makes "Sleeping Beauty" look like a light sleeper. He stresses himself out too much when separated, he just doesn't like being alone and I prefer taking him along. He had to stay in "advanced training" 3 extra months so they could work on his "issues!" When he's "on" he's such a brilliant worker that it was definitely worth keeping him in the program and teaching me how to work with his issues.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='tgmg00a']After reading this thread for a bit, I decided to drop a hello to everyone here. While not a service dog users my family and I have been raising Guide Dog for the Blind puppies for over 9 years. We currently have puppy number 11 at home a female black lab, Hartlyn, who is 13 months old. The picture in my signature is with Mochi our 8th puppy who is now a breeder for GDB. I am so pleased to see the work we put into the puppies pays off so well when I read about the fun times the teams have sailing the world. :)[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]Thank you so much for what you do. :) Come back often! (I don't have a service dog either, but am a dog lover.) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Rolls Royce Lover'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Dobiemom, I think about you often and I hope all is good with you. I look forward to the day that we can cruise together again.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]Hi Roz and everyone. I'm always lurking just don't post very often.

My sis-in-law found a nearby kennel/dog-sitting service so we took Roxie for a trial sleepover Saturday and picked her up today. She did very well. (Actually, she'll probably get spoiled if she stays longer.) Always good to have the info in advance so you can just go if necessary.

I went to Las Vegas last weekend and stayed with a GF. We went to see a "clean" comedian, [URL="http://www.henrychocomedy.com/"]Henry Cho[/URL]. He was very funny! Also won $1000 at bingo. :D It was a nice little break. :)

You know I would LOVE to cruise with you again someday, Roz. Or at least meet at the same port. ;) Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 2014 has a cruise in it for me. But 2015 has lots to choose from. Just have to wean them down to 1 or 2.

Keep all the stories coming! ;) :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]So Davis went to his first CCI puppy workshop out on Long Island on Saturday. We found out that he is our sensitive child. He is lacking confidence and will need a little extra time to do things. Along with some high value treats like peanut butter. So we have to take thing a little slower with him.
But the good news is that CCI added a special team training class for five skilled companion teams that started today. Ocho will be in the class!! Hopefully he will match with one of the teams and find his forever home as someone's best friend and assistant. We should know if he matched with someone next Monday. If he does then they will take him home and come back for the regular graduation in May. That's when we will get to see him and his new family. It's hard to type with all my fingers crossed.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='PaulInPGH']I'm a musician as well. I was playing full-time before I met my wife and during that period I took my dog to all sorts of bars and restaurants in and around the Philadelphia/NJ shore area. He handled it all like a champ, never an issue.[/quote]

They practice in a garage. It is a tight space and it is, imo, ridiculously loud. We've taken the dog when he has played out and the dog hangs with me under the table. The dog is excited to take a ride with us to practice but also equally excited to go home with me lol.

[quote name='DisneyKidsDad'][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]So Davis went to his first CCI puppy workshop out on Long Island on Saturday. We found out that he is our sensitive child. He is lacking confidence and will need a little extra time to do things. Along with some high value treats like peanut butter. So we have to take thing a little slower with him.
But the good news is that CCI added a special team training class for five skilled companion teams that started today. Ocho will be in the class!! Hopefully he will match with one of the teams and find his forever home as someone's best friend and assistant. We should know if he matched with someone next Monday. If he does then they will take him home and come back for the regular graduation in May. That's when we will get to see him and his new family. It's hard to type with all my fingers crossed.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I've got everything crossed for Ocho as well .... ;):)

Ah little Davis! any new photos? :D

[quote name='dobiemom'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]Hi Roz and everyone. I'm always lurking just don't post very often.

My sis-in-law found a nearby kennel/dog-sitting service so we took Roxie for a trial sleepover Saturday and picked her up today. She did very well. (Actually, she'll probably get spoiled if she stays longer.) Always good to have the info in advance so you can just go if necessary.

I went to Las Vegas last weekend and stayed with a GF. We went to see a "clean" comedian, [URL="http://www.henrychocomedy.com/"]Henry Cho[/URL]. He was very funny! Also won $1000 at bingo. :D It was a nice little break. :)

You know I would LOVE to cruise with you again someday, Roz. Or at least meet at the same port. ;) Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 2014 has a cruise in it for me. But 2015 has lots to choose from. Just have to wean them down to 1 or 2.

Keep all the stories coming! ;) :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Can you pick my lotto numbers please .... Nice win Dobiemum! :D

Well, after much thought and serious discussions with the DH, and of course, most importantly and hugely inspired by all my great cyber "doggie pals" on here - I have decided to apply to be a puppy walker for Guide Dogs for the Blind.

The forms are filled in and sent back, so I have to now wait and see what happens after they check us out, get references etc. and if we are then deemed suitable, we will have an interview, home check etc.

I wanted to share this with you as I am so excited that I can maybe do this! And you can all live through the process with me! ;):eek:

I will let you know how I (we!) get on! :)

Wish me luck!!!

Fairbourne, good luck with your application! Which campus? I am a GDB puppy raiser in the SF East bay. All the work volunteers do for GDB helps them turn out fantastic dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk