Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We went to CCI's Huate Dog Fashion Show - Horton Jeffrey won for the "Silliest Costume", he was Elvis [wig and all!] We won a $50 Gift Card and the most authentic looking Gold Medal [short of the Olympics] that I've ever seen [really cool!] I wasn't expecting to win anything, it was a really neat surprise, Horton's such a winner!

There were so many dogs.....from little "foo-foo's" in their bedazzled tu-tu's to huge dogs in lion costumes. There was a rescued Greyhound named "Clyde" who was so sweet and a gigantic St. Bernard named "Wellington" who had to leave early because he had just had surgery and couldn't stand too long.

There were lots of CCI dogs and the Grand Prize went to a beautiful Yellow Lab named "Nutella" who was dressed as a Peacock, so pretty!

There were about 14 of us in total from all parts of Calif. Best of all Marcia "Dobiemom", my son Lee and my friend Leah came to watch Horton win! Thank you guys for your amazing support! I love you all!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We went to CCI's Huate Dog Fashion Show - Horton Jeffrey won for the "Silliest Costume", he was Elvis [wig and all!] We won a $50 Gift Card and the most authentic looking Gold Medal [short of the Olympics] that I've ever seen [really cool!] I wasn't expecting to win anything, it was a really neat surprise, Horton's such a winner!

There were so many dogs.....from little "foo-foo's" in their bedazzled tu-tu's to huge dogs in lion costumes. There was a rescued Greyhound named "Clyde" who was so sweet and a gigantic St. Bernard named "Wellington" who had to leave early because he had just had surgery and couldn't stand too long.

There were lots of CCI dogs and the Grand Prize went to a beautiful Yellow Lab named "Nutella" who was dressed as a Peacock, so pretty!

There were about 14 of us in total from all parts of Calif. Best of all Marcia "Dobiemom", my son Lee and my friend Leah came to watch Horton win! Thank you guys for your amazing support! I love you all!

Hi Roz, I've been waiting patiently all day for news of the doggy haute fashion show .... And it was worth the wait! ;):p. Hope Mum treats you to something nice from your prize.

Well done Horton Jeffrey - now we really do need to see a photo of him in his Elvis costume - I guess that was the wig he was being a diva over! LOL! Sounds like you had great fun ..... Wish we were closer! :eek:

Hi Roz, I've been waiting patiently all day for news of the doggy haute fashion show .... And it was worth the wait! ;):p. Hope Mum treats you to something nice from your prize.

Well done Horton Jeffrey - now we really do need to see a photo of him in his Elvis costume - I guess that was the wig he was being a diva over! LOL! Sounds like you had great fun ..... Wish we were closer! :eek:

I wish you were closer too! You would have been so proud of him!

Would you believe, I carry a regular camera in the bottom of my purse and didn't take it out once, last night! I was so busy keeping his wig in place, his cape on his back and his "shades" over his eyes., I didn't have time. At one point I had to take him outside the hotel to go potty and upon walking back in I hadn't noticed that the wig and his glasses had fallen down over his eyes and he walked right into the front of a pick-up truck......not funny, but yet I found myself holding in my laughs as not to embarrass him!!!!! :eek: He faired fine through the mishap [no wounds, no blood!]

OMG! You should have seen some of the dogs and their get-ups, it was hysterical. And, some of these folks were taking themselves way too seriously. If I got too close to their "bedazzled" pooches I was told to "step back!" :p You had to be there!!!!

One little dog attacked another one while waiting backstage to go on and one lady almost decked another one because she had stepped on her dogs tail with her spiked heels! You had to be there!

There were tons of pictures taken and as soon as I see one I promise to post it.

Roz, I have been anxiously waiting for the fashion show stories! Nearly spit out my soup all over my computer monitor while eating at my desk today. Can't help but laugh at how humans behave in public. Sounds like the usual suspects, some people aren't there to enjoy the occasion but to fiercely compete. Way to go Horton on your medal!

Fairborne, Those two beautiful pups are going to be wonderful guide dogs. Thank you so much for sharing your journey in words and photos!

Beckie

I know I may come across as a bit "divaish" [Roz word], myself but honestly you really had to see some of these folks with their [and I use the term loosely] DOGS! Not one of the folks who acted badly got an award [Oh! Wait!] The "lions" mom was a bit pushy but her really overweight and I mean really overweight [not that I should judge] Yellow Lab [Lion] "Raquel" would not let anyone stand in front of her.......if you did "Raquel" would poke her nose in your butt.....not your dog's butt, YOUR butt!!!!! She won a prize but she was so perfect as a Lion. She was as big as a lion, I'm telling you!!!!!

I love to mix and mingle with everybody.....I used to think that people were my main amusement in life......now I know, it's people with their dogs, whether they be a Service Dog or just their "foo-foo" pets. It's hysterical to watch how people are with their dogs....actually, it's a riot!!!!! Definitely would make for a "Housewives of Anywhere With Their Dogs" kind of TV show!

Some people are so protective [i am to a degree.] If you're doing anything untoward to their dog...they get the most killer look in their eyes....OMG!:eek: You know they were not like that with their children......NO WAY! :rolleyes:

I got balled-out by a CCI Trainer because Horton's choke collar was on backwards and I said the word "side" to Horton when I should have said "heel!" They're watching you every minute!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dianne

Have a wonderful cruise - have you been to Rome and the Med before? We've been to Rome only once, but they do say if you throw some coins in the Trevi Fountain you are bound to return! So we did! But we haven't been back - yet! :D

Enjoy your travels.

Thanks Fairbourne. We have been to Rome twice - both times to take a transatlantic through the Med. We have found that wheelchair accessibility is not great in most European hotels so the cruise is perfect for me. They are renovating the Trevi Fountain right now so its a good thing that we have already seen it. I have not been to Florence and that is one of our ports, I am looking forward to seeing the Accademia and Uffizi.

Dianne

I would have loved to see that - congratulations to Horton. I bet he made a great Elvis.

Dianne

Ah, well I don't need to book an accessible room, so don't need to book early for that. My last two cruises, I got the rooms I wanted (aft wraps on Carnival, only I think six per ship that has them). (My first cruise, I just did a guarantee balcony.) I think I booked about nine months or so in advance.

Roz, you BETTER post a photo of Horton as Elvis!!!! :) (And I have to say, autocorrect kept correcting your name to Rozzano! LOL!)

I loved those guide puppy photos!

The "King" would have loved Horton's rendition of him!!!!!

He certainly would:

Horton Jeffrey Ain't Nothing but a Hound Dog,

But he was The King of the Whole Wide World

With his Jailhouse Rock and Blue Suede Shoes

Stealing the show at the BH (HeartBreak) Hotel

How Great Thou Art thought his Mama Roz

She's Stuck on You, you big Teddy Bear

And we all can't help Falling In Love With You

But he was All Shook Up and wore his wig

All in the name of a good fashion gig

Thank goodness he wasn't In the Ghetto

Or a Devil In Disguise like some others there

They should have been at Las Vegas!

Horton you are Amazing Grace WOO HOO!

Giving us all Memories that's The Wonder of You!

:D:rolleyes::p:eek:;):D

Ah, well I don't need to book an accessible room, so don't need to book early for that. My last two cruises, I got the rooms I wanted (aft wraps on Carnival, only I think six per ship that has them). (My first cruise, I just did a guarantee balcony.) I think I booked about nine months or so in advance.

Roz, you BETTER post a photo of Horton as Elvis!!!! :) (And I have to say, autocorrect kept correcting your name to Rozzano! LOL!)

I loved those guide puppy photos!

That's so funny......My friends at work call me Rozarella!!! Honestly, I think it was one of those days when they thought I was acting like a "Bridezilla!"

He certainly would:

Very clever, my dear!!!!

He certainly would:

Now THAT'S funny! Loved the latest photos of the pups, Fairbourne!

Roz, what a hoot that event must have been! Big slurp of congratulations from Raylene to Horty. I'm sure he looked quite dashing as The King.

Now THAT'S funny! Loved the latest photos of the pups, Fairbourne!

Roz, what a hoot that event must have been! Big slurp of congratulations from Raylene to Horty. I'm sure he looked quite dashing as The King.

Being the big, bold, handsome [male version] of Raylene, you can just imagine how striking he was as Elvis......As soon as I get some picture I promise to publish them so you can all see how amazing he was! Elvis would have been very proud!!!! ;)

Trudy, I hope all is well with you. It's been so long since we've heard from you. I hope you're enjoying your time with your new pooch!

Marcia, It was good to see you. Did you have fun at the Doggie Fashion Show? Were you able to get any pictures of Horton and can you post them?

I'm so sorry I missed the CCI Workshop this year. I promising myself that I will go next year. It's always good to take refresher courses on working with our dogs!

Trudy, I hope all is well with you. It's been so long since we've heard from you. I hope you're enjoying your time with your new pooch!

Marcia, It was good to see you. Did you have fun at the Doggie Fashion Show? Were you able to get any pictures of Horton and can you post them?

I'm so sorry I missed the CCI Workshop this year. I promising myself that I will go next year. It's always good to take refresher courses on working with our dogs!

I took pics (and a video) of Horton, but have not had a chance to look at them. Work has been so crazy I've just been brain-dead by the time I get home. I'll try to get to them this week.

I took pics (and a video) of Horton, but have not had a chance to look at them. Work has been so crazy I've just been brain-dead by the time I get home. I'll try to get to them this week.

Now, there's a condition that I can thoroughly relate to....."Brain dead!" I totally understand. Thanks Marcia ♥

I located a great last minute cruise. I leave in 19 days. I have an international health certificate from last year (Dec 2013). Can I use this for entry into St. Maarten this year?

St. Thomas will not be a problem because they are covered under the ADA.

Thanks.

I'll be interested in any replies because we are going in December on a cruise. I have read Jet Blue and other info which says the certificate has to be issued within 14 days of arrival.

I'm going to get one, but since St. Maarten is late into our 9 day cruise, it will be almost impossible to get one issued, sent to our state office for validating and returned to me during the time limit (and then we drive to Florida, a few days more.) if I don't take the dog ashore, no biggie. I'll spend the planned lunch money on the ship instead.:)

Meanwhile, I've seen notes on St. Thomas, USVI that says the rabies needs to be within a year. My dog had a three-year vaccine so doesn't qualify. We're going to St. Croix/USVI on our cruise and lived there for many years. No one ever cared about any documentation whatsoever at the airport arriving. We'll find out if the cruise port gets sticky about a three-year, but I think a current Health Certificate will be useful (I do not plan to re-vaccinate her.).

By the way, yes - the USVI is under the ADA, but trust me when I say you should not assume they handle any official business the same way you expect or are accustomed to in the mainland US. It may not be third world, but it is an area (which we love) that is more aligned with Caribbean ways sometimes.

Here's a small bit of advice. If you are ever speaking with anyone in authority in the Caribbean, begin by politely saying "Good morning" or afternoon, versus launching into any conversation. Then wait for their response. This is a tradition that marks you as a polite person worth speaking to. No one in the USVI would ever enter a room (such as a doctor's office waiting area) without saying a "Good Morning" to the group.

(And an aside - anyone who goes to Hawaii with a service dog on a cruise or otherwise needs to do research and prepare with required testing because it is NOT automatic. We met a very angry service dog partner who was not allowed to take her dog ashore from a Hawaii cruise last year. But it was her own fault for assuming.)

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I located a great last minute cruise. I leave in 19 days. I have an international health certificate from last year (Dec 2013). Can I use this for entry into St. Maarten this year?

St. Thomas will not be a problem because they are covered under the ADA.

Thanks.

Tee, I really suggest that you visit your Vet's office and get a new IHC . The one you have is almost a year old [a lot can happen to a dog in one year!] You have 19 days, let the Vet's office know that you're on a deadline and need to update your IHC.

You would absolutely hate yourself for not making the effort and being told that your dog can not board the ship, and even if they let you board to find out that he/she can't get off in any ports!!!

I have NEVER seen a cruise ship that allowed a Service Dog to board with such an outdated form. What cruise line will you be on?

I wish you a wonderful cruise, please let us know how it goes!

I'll be interested in any replies because we are going in December on a cruise. I have read Jet Blue and other info which says the certificate has to be issued within 14 days of arrival.

I'm going to get one, but since St. Maarten is late into our 9 day cruise, it will be almost impossible to get one issued, sent to our state office for validating and returned to me during the time limit (and then we drive to Florida, a few days more.) if I don't take the dog ashore, no biggie. I'll spend the planned lunch money on the ship instead.:)

Meanwhile, I've seen notes on St. Thomas, USVI that says the rabies needs to be within a year. My dog had a three-year vaccine so doesn't qualify. We're going to St. Croix/USVI on our cruise and lived there for many years. No one ever cared about any documentation whatsoever at the airport arriving. We'll find out if the cruise port gets sticky about a three-year, but I think a current Health Certificate will be useful (I do not plan to re-vaccinate her.).

By the way, yes - the USVI is under the ADA, but trust me when I say you should not assume they handle any official business the same way you expect or are accustomed to in the mainland US. It may not be third world, but it is an area (which we love) that is more aligned with Caribbean ways sometimes.

Here's a small bit of advice. If you are ever speaking with anyone in authority in the Caribbean, begin by politely saying "Good morning" or afternoon, versus launching into any conversation. Then wait for their response. This is a tradition that marks you as a polite person worth speaking to. No one in the USVI would ever enter a room (such as a doctor's office waiting area) without saying a "Good Morning" to the group.

(And an aside - anyone who goes to Hawaii with a service dog on a cruise or otherwise needs to do research and prepare with required testing because it is NOT automatic. We met a very angry service dog partner who was not allowed to take her dog ashore from a Hawaii cruise last year. But it was her own fault for assuming.)

Chris, thank you for the great advice. It's always good to know the proper decorum in any given environment.

Your information about the USVI is invaluable for us travelers. And, the woman or anyone else who assumes they can bypass the rules for Hawaii and cruise travel with their SD is in for a rude awakening.

It's always best to follow ALL the mandated rules governed by any given port. If you have doubts as to what is expected in the port you will be visiting contact the cruise line direct; the country or port you'll be visiting; or ask your

Vet's office [sometimes they'll assist you in getting the information you need for travel.]

Also, Hawaii insists that the IHC be no more than 30 days old. And, that all immunizations, blood titers, microchips and paperwork be done by a USDA Accredited Vet. They remain tough on anyone bringing their dog [service Dogs onboard cruise ships included] into Hawaii.