Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Dear Horton Jeffrey

I love you big boy and I've just had to give my Mum lots of hugs as she's been hugging me and crying when she read me your letter. Now my neck is all wet!!! Silly mum, I'm going to be just fine. Mum has told me all bout going to school and not to worry as there will be lots of really nice kind doggy people there who will teach me new things and give me lots of hugs too! Oh and I will have lots of new doggy friends to play with too. Mum says I will have to share my new digs with another dog who will be learning new things with me too! So you know how much I just love Max and Poppy, so I'm hoping that my new friends will be just as kind to me as they have.

I will miss everyone here but Mum says I have an important job to do, so I want to make her proud and do well. But she's also told me, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but you are my pal and I know you won't breathe a doggy whisper - if I don't like school I can come back home here to live forever! And then I'll get a ball just like Davis! Poppy never lets me play with her ball!

Piggy has had a bath, so I expect she will have another one before she gets packed into my little bag! Oh yes, I have my own bag Horty, with my toys and my blanket and Piggy! I have to have Piggy, I've known Piggy all my life and I would be lost without her, especially at bedtimes when I use her as a pillow!

I just love mini-humans but boy can they reach other places that big humans can't. Just as well we are very patient! But honestly sticking fingers up your nose .... Some minis just test us to the very limit!

I'm not keen on water either - remember the time they took me to the beach and I fell in - oh how they all laughed! :rolleyes: I didn't make that mistake again!

Oh Horty I've had such a great time with my humans here and I know Mum will be sad to see me go, and I've heard her tell Dad she is going to try very hard not to cry when I go, but I just know she's a bit of a big blubber, so I will have a wet neck again! I've also heard her tell Aunty Izzy that her tears are nothing compared to the little boy who lost both his eyes to eye cancer and when he was told he would lose his second eye, the first thing he asked his Mum and Dad was "does this mean I can have a guide dog?". He has a buddy dog which is a dog that didn't quite make it as a guide dog, but will help him prepare for when he is old enough to have a guide dog. This boy has an incredible positive attitude despite what's happened to him, and I would love to be able to help if I can. Horty, they call us "Life-changers" and that's a lot to live up to, but I am going to do my best.

I wonder if we will ever meet - maybe on a cruise somewhere, sometime in the future, you just never know - I don't know where I will be, but Mum is hoping that my new person will let her know how I am getting on and then she can tell you all.

Oh oh time to put the kettle on, Dad's on his way home from work!

Must go and mooch in the kitchen - see if I can perfect that sad starving puppy eyes look up at the doggy biscuit tin!

I will be in touch before I go - I luvs ya big boy!

Your darling girl Aruba

Xxxxxx

Did you know we are having a party for me this weekend? Apparently it's called AchocAruba - lots of chocolate for the humans, I wonder who gave Mum that idea??? It can't have been Aunty Roz, now would it???:D

Fairbourne, thank you so much for sharing Aruba with all of us! I can hardly see the screen because her missive to Horty was both happy, sad, joyous and mostly filled with admiration of what you've done, how you did it and what life holds in front of a beautiful, Black Lab named "Aruba!"

Thank you for sharing the "what if's" with us. I want her to be successful and fulfill her life's work but to know that if it becomes too much for her that she can come home to her Mum fills my heart with glee! ♥

I, too, would love to meet one day. I know Horton Jeffrey would love that too!

When I visit the grounds of CCI and I see children walking or wheeling with their "Life Changers" I can't help but start to well-up with tears. These children are brave beyond imagination and their furry heroes help to instill this bravery and allow them to go into life much braver than before.

I know that none of this would happen without PuppyRaisers[Walkers]! YOU help to make those life changes come true......I know, because I have a SUPER FURRY HERO in my life and he's changed me in more ways than I could ever share with all of you.

To all the PuppyRaisers[Walkers] who are reading this, including our own DKD, Fairbourne, Sunshine and many others..... ♥ THANK YOU! ♥

Dear Horton Jeffrey

I love you big boy and I've just had to give my Mum lots of hugs as she's been hugging me and crying when she read me your letter. Now my neck is all wet!!! Silly mum, I'm going to be just fine. Mum has told me all bout going to school and not to worry as there will be lots of really nice kind doggy people there who will teach me new things and give me lots of hugs too! Oh and I will have lots of new doggy friends to play with too. Mum says I will have to share my new digs with another dog who will be learning new things with me too! So you know how much I just love Max and Poppy, so I'm hoping that my new friends will be just as kind to me as they have.

I will miss everyone here but Mum says I have an important job to do, so I want to make her proud and do well. But she's also told me, and I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but you are my pal and I know you won't breathe a doggy whisper - if I don't like school I can come back home here to live forever! And then I'll get a ball just like Davis! Poppy never lets me play with her ball!

Piggy has had a bath, so I expect she will have another one before she gets packed into my little bag! Oh yes, I have my own bag Horty, with my toys and my blanket and Piggy! I have to have Piggy, I've known Piggy all my life and I would be lost without her, especially at bedtimes when I use her as a pillow!

I just love mini-humans but boy can they reach other places that big humans can't. Just as well we are very patient! But honestly sticking fingers up your nose .... Some minis just test us to the very limit!

I'm not keen on water either - remember the time they took me to the beach and I fell in - oh how they all laughed! :rolleyes: I didn't make that mistake again!

Oh Horty I've had such a great time with my humans here and I know Mum will be sad to see me go, and I've heard her tell Dad she is going to try very hard not to cry when I go, but I just know she's a bit of a big blubber, so I will have a wet neck again! I've also heard her tell Aunty Izzy that her tears are nothing compared to the little boy who lost both his eyes to eye cancer and when he was told he would lose his second eye, the first thing he asked his Mum and Dad was "does this mean I can have a guide dog?". He has a buddy dog which is a dog that didn't quite make it as a guide dog, but will help him prepare for when he is old enough to have a guide dog. This boy has an incredible positive attitude despite what's happened to him, and I would love to be able to help if I can. Horty, they call us "Life-changers" and that's a lot to live up to, but I am going to do my best.

I wonder if we will ever meet - maybe on a cruise somewhere, sometime in the future, you just never know - I don't know where I will be, but Mum is hoping that my new person will let her know how I am getting on and then she can tell you all.

Must go and mooch in the kitchen - see if I can perfect that sad starving puppy eyes look up at the doggy biscuit tin!

Your darling girl Aruba

Xxxxxx

Did you know we are having a party for me this weekend? Apparently it's called AchocAruba - lots of chocolate for the humans, I wonder who gave Mum that idea??? It can't have been Aunty Roz, now would it???:D

Oh my gosh, no words - just something in my eye - my screen is blurry too.

Dianne

Dear Horton Jeffrey

Your darling girl Aruba

Xxxxxx

fairborne,

Just know in your heart that you have done the very best job you could have possibly done to give Aruba the tools she needs to succeed. You have given her all the love, training and confidence she needs. The rest is up to her. The path she chooses from this point on is out of your hands. Just know that without you and your family, she would have no chance at all. There will be sadness and tears but in the end, whatever the outcome, there will be joy and happiness. Stay strong and think about puppy number two!!

fairborne,

Just know in your heart that you have done the very best job you could have possibly done to give Aruba the tools she needs to succeed. You have given her all the love, training and confidence she needs. The rest is up to her. The path she chooses from this point on is out of your hands. Just know that without you and your family, she would have no chance at all. There will be sadness and tears but in the end, whatever the outcome, there will be joy and happiness. Stay strong and think about puppy number two!!

Oh so well said, I could not say better.

fairborne,

Thank you DKD. She's a smart cookie and she's ready to go, I feel she's a bit bored. I'm excited too as I know how much she will mean to someone else if she does well. My only disappointment will be if her new person doesn't contact us. Ah puppy number two - we are having our cruise, then the plan is to wait and see how Aruba does - but I just know if a pup needs a home, I won't be able to say no! It will be doggy chaos in our house if we have another pup and then Aruba decides she wants to come home - but it would be pawsome!!!

The DH says it would be fine, "we" would manage, as HE disappears out the door to work everyday and leaves ME and the chaos behind! :rolleyes:

How's your daughter doing? We're all thinking about her. :)

Fairbourne, thank you so much for sharing Aruba with all of us! I can hardly see the screen because her missive to Horty was both happy, sad, joyous and mostly filled with admiration of what you've done, how you did it and what life holds in front of a beautiful, Black Lab named "Aruba!"

Thank you for sharing the "what if's" with us. I want her to be successful and fulfill her life's work but to know that if it becomes too much for her that she can come home to her Mum fills my heart with glee! ♥

I, too, would love to meet one day. I know Horton Jeffrey would love that too!

When I visit the grounds of CCI and I see children walking or wheeling with their "Life Changers" I can't help but start to well-up with tears. These children are brave beyond imagination and their furry heroes help to instill this bravery and allow them to go into life much braver than before.

I know that none of this would happen without PuppyRaisers[Walkers]! YOU help to make those life changes come true......I know, because I have a SUPER FURRY HERO in my life and he's changed me in more ways than I could ever share with all of you.

To all the PuppyRaisers[Walkers] who are reading this, including our own DKD, Fairbourne, Sunshine and many others..... ♥ THANK YOU! ♥

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets emotional seeing these Super Furry Heroes working - I love that expression, it's exactly what they are! We wilL have to have our very own SFH club!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone......I'm sitting here watching Horton enjoying his peanut butter and rice cake treats! Such a joyful, wonderful being.

I'm so grateful that he chose me during Team Training. I feel so lucky to have him in my life! ;)

Jagger and I have been hanging out and practicing his skills. Starting to work with the more advanced things that will turn into useful tasks.

Other than that - cruise dreaming. Plus the insanity that always arises when one tries to figure out if upgrading is possible.

Holly

Raylene won't voluntarily swim either....she just patrols around the pool scanning the screened cage for lizards while we're in every afternoon. She caught one yesterday, pawed it until it went off to gecko heaven, and now considers it her moral imperative to save us from the rest.

The nature preserve behind our house is providing abundant free entertainment until we get the fence installed (a Dogs for the deaf requirement.) A bunny hangs out in the neighborhood yards, and yesterday I spotted a long snakeskin newly shed at the back of our house.

This morning as we returned from our walk, a good-sized armadillo ran out of our shrubbery! I'm talking 18" plus tail! We were both transfixed for a minute watching it trundle back and forth between our house and our neighbors', until Raylene got her wits about her and reacted...it took a few strong tugs then to drag her away.

We had heavy rain this a.m., so my theory is the armadillo got flushed out if its burrow back in the preserve. Ugly critter and some carry diseases.

Stay tuned for more from the animal kingdom.

This just in... sorry the link doesn't work

The Department of Justice has published a new 9-page ADA technical assistance document, Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA, to further assist covered entities and people with disabilities to understand how the ADA’s service animal provisions apply to them. The document answers questions that continue to be asked since the publication of the Department’s 2011 document, Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals. https://lnkd.in/eBuqVsc

Jagger and I have been hanging out and practicing his skills. Starting to work with the more advanced things that will turn into useful tasks.

Other than that - cruise dreaming. Plus the insanity that always arises when one tries to figure out if upgrading is possible.

Holly

Holly, have him pick-up your keys when you drop them.

I wish I had taught this to Brenda, I can't tell you how many times people would come over to me with my keys in their hands. I'm a key dropper.....what can I say!!!!

During Horton's Team Training they asked what are some of the things that would I really like Horton to do for me. I said, "let me know when I drop my keys!"

Sure enough, the next day, we were working on Horton alerting me when I dropped my keys and him picking them up. There's a few elements to this. First, he MUST be paying attention to me when were walking and be taught to "alert" me to ANYTHING that I drop. He was taught to stop walking, which made me look at him and he would immediately go for the keys. After a while he became very proficient at this. Unfortunately, Horton has an ultra sensitive mouth. Although we worked on everything, like; hairbrushes, silverware, keys, etc., things that might not be so easy on the mouth and gums, he would display many "refusals" if it hurt his mouth at all.

So, I made the decision that my keys were the thing that I dropped the most and that I wanted him to always "alert" me to. I put my keys on a "cushy" ball-type key ring so he could grab it easily and there was no chance that it was ever going to be unpleasant for him.

This just in... sorry the link doesn't work

The Department of Justice has published a new 9-page ADA technical assistance document, Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA, to further assist covered entities and people with disabilities to understand how the ADA’s service animal provisions apply to them. The document answers questions that continue to be asked since the publication of the Department’s 2011 document, Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals. https://lnkd.in/eBuqVsc

Thanks for this. I can't believe how much easier it is to bring Horton into the public venue than it was in 2002 with Brenda.

Talk about trailblazing!

Raylene won't voluntarily swim either....she just patrols around the pool scanning the screened cage for lizards while we're in every afternoon. She caught one yesterday, pawed it until it went off to gecko heaven, and now considers it her moral imperative to save us from the rest.

The nature preserve behind our house is providing abundant free entertainment until we get the fence installed (a Dogs for the deaf requirement.) A bunny hangs out in the neighborhood yards, and yesterday I spotted a long snakeskin newly shed at the back of our house.

This morning as we returned from our walk, a good-sized armadillo ran out of our shrubbery! I'm talking 18" plus tail! We were both transfixed for a minute watching it trundle back and forth between our house and our neighbors', until Raylene got her wits about her and reacted...it took a few strong tugs then to drag her away.

We had heavy rain this a.m., so my theory is the armadillo got flushed out if its burrow back in the preserve. Ugly critter and some carry diseases.

Stay tuned for more from the animal kingdom.

Holy crap, Chris, where the heck do you live, in the middle of the Serengeti?

I'd be a screaming, whirling durbish if I saw anything that you and Raylene have seen and I'd be screaming my bloody head off at her if she ever brought any of it indoors! :eek:

Horton loves to bring me an occasional cricket that he plays with until they're leg-less, then it's my job to find the whisk broom and take the poor thing outside! It ALWAYS gives me the shivers!!!!

My dog and I live in a very sterile environment.......wanna come over?

Thanks Roz!

Actually picking up items is on the list of tasks that will be taught to him. I sometimes can't bend over, and tend to drop things. Keys...my cane...my mind...(ha ha)

So we spend a lot of time on "get it" and "bring it here" and "give". Then we will move to targeting items as well as the name game.

Most of the time even when I am just playing, I am working on future tasks. His favorite game is Jolly Ball, so I tend to say "get it", "bring it here" and "give". The same with smaller toys. He's really starting to get the connection, although he loves "tug" a bit more than "give".

And because I'm one of THOSE moms...

Well we tried to see if Sutter would like to swim in a big pool on Saturday. We brought him in a few times. He swam around but as soon as we let him loose, he was gone. Another CCI dog not fond of water.

026c83ab-1c5a-43f5-8cc4-60adf2c7e69d.jpg

Oh! Sutter! Water doesn't hurt! Brenda had to be kept away from the pools onboard a cruise and I NEVER let her get too close to the sides of the ship [for fear that she'd jump right into the brink!] She absolutely loved water [she was puppy raised near the Sacramento River and swam almost everyday!] She was so much fun to watch in a pool. I think she was a mermaid in her past life.

Horton, on the other hand, gets weird when his feet get wet. He could care less about water and all its wetness!

Thanks Roz!

Actually picking up items is on the list of tasks that will be taught to him. I sometimes can't bend over, and tend to drop things. Keys...my cane...my mind...(ha ha)

So we spend a lot of time on "get it" and "bring it here" and "give". Then we will move to targeting items as well as the name game.

Most of the time even when I am just playing, I am working on future tasks. His favorite game is Jolly Ball, so I tend to say "get it", "bring it here" and "give". The same with smaller toys. He's really starting to get the connection, although he loves "tug" a bit more than "give".

And because I'm one of THOSE moms...

Holly, she is such a pretty girl! I love her face!

The two of you are going to have such a great life together. Enjoy every moment. I know you do and will!

I was so busy at work yesterday. I booked a 19 day Panama Canal cruise, out of L.A. and returning to L.A., finally! Onboard the Island Princess.

For years Morey and I would watch the cruises to the Panama Canal and sure they left out of L.A. but NEVER did they return back to L.A. You ALWAYS had to fly home from Fort Lauderdale.

At last, a complete round trip. I'm very excited and only wish that Morey could enjoy this with me! I'll do it for both of us! ;)