Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OK this is completely off topic for this thread, but there is an absolutely hysterical satirecle(sp?) review in the Carnival section...even funnier are all the people who responded thinking the OP was serious...enjoy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268574

I especially liked the bringing alcohol on board in tiny shampoo bottles and "Tipping is just a city in China"... but how could anybody think it was a serious review???? Yet they did!

OK this is completely off topic for this thread, but there is an absolutely hysterical satirecle(sp?) review in the Carnival section...even funnier are all the people who responded thinking the OP was serious...enjoy:

Very funny......Of course I had to add some of the questions that are asked of a Service Dog Handler.

Yesterday my wife and daughter were interviewed and photographed for a newspaper article in a rather large New Jersey newspaper. The Asbury Park Press. It was an article about, of course, service dogs. It is supposed to be in this coming Monday's paper. With any luck I can post the on-line version here if allowed.

Yesterday my wife and daughter were interviewed and photographed for a newspaper article in a rather large New Jersey newspaper. The Asbury Park Press. It was an article about, of course, service dogs. It is supposed to be in this coming Monday's paper. With any luck I can post the on-line version here if allowed.

Post it, post it! I love to read about our dogs. And, I don't think I get the Asbury Park Press in L.A.

Remember I told you guys about my mishap with Horton around this time of the year [2 years ago]. Where that dumb!@# woman pushed me down and tried to dognap Horty. Well, anyway, I've been having ongoing back and groin-pull pain from it. My right leg will sometimes pull so hard at the ligament that I can't walk on it.

Yesterday I had another visit with my doctor and she recommended that I start using ........Drum roll please.........A walker!!!! Just for stability and to make sure that I don't lose my balance and fall. She said, "as we get older it takes longer for our bodies to mend from such a fall!" I love how she said, "WE!" She's at least 10 years younger than me!

Me and a walker.....and Horton......what the heck!!!! Horton is so wonderful, he's a big boy as you know so, when I'm getting out of a chair he'll stand right in front of me as if to say, "hold on to me Mom!"

I bought a really cool walker, with a seat, storage and a back rest. I even have a cup holder. It does give me more security but amazing how these devices also have the tendency to age you!!!! :rolleyes:

I don't use it all the time because it scares my boss........she thinks it means that I won't be working much longer......I told her not to worry.....If they put me in an iron lung, I'll have it wheeled into my cubicle!!!!!

You can post the URL for the article. No problem.

Unfortunately you cannot cut and paste the article unless you get permission, in writing, from the A.P.P. to use their copyright.

The reason for this is that the copyright owner knows, or should know, that the material is capable of being read by anyone. The copyright owner can also remove the material for any reason at all making it unavailable.

However if an article is copy and pasted the owner of the copyright has no control over the distribution of the material. Worse, to copy and paste would make Cruise Critic liable for copyright infringement.

Here's the operative portion of our guidelines:

The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. ... the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

-------------------------------------------------

Sometimes a newspaper limits on line access to only its subscribers (such as the NY Times and the Wall St Journal) but a workaround is to Google the headline. Frequently that will pull up the article and will provide you with the URL. Then you can post the URL that will display the article, which would be just fine with us. Thanks for posting this question.

Actually it isn't that much off topic. See what his first header is - "Debarkation"

There is no such word. It's "Disembarkation" when you disembark. But worse, he discusses the embarkation process under the heading debarkation.

So I suppose one could interpret his term "debarkation" to mean when he started his cruise and left his pooch behind meaning he could no longer hear his pooch bark.

That kinda makes the post on topic for a thread about dogs, dontcha think?

Actually it isn't that much off topic. See what his first header is - "Debarkation"

There is no such word. It's "Disembarkation" when you disembark. But worse, he discusses the embarkation process under the heading debarkation.

So I suppose one could interpret his term "debarkation" to mean when he started his cruise and left his pooch behind meaning he could no longer hear his pooch bark.

Which is worse, de bark or de bite?

Roz, loved your comments on that thread. Bob and I should start a drinking game on our December cruise: Every time someone asks me, "Where does the dog go to the bathroom?", Bob should have to buy me a drink. Of course, I'd be unconscious by lunchtime, but we have the free drinks package, so it's all good.

Either that or I need some snappy come-backs to that question. Like,

"Oh, she's a girl, so usually the big ladies' room right next to the theater." Or,

"In the hallway right outside our cabin."

Or, on Celebrity Eclipse I could say,

"Did you see that big tree hanging in the Atrium?"

Edited by Caribbean Chris

This was brilliant! I think I'm in love with Walt! :p

You can post the URL for the article. No problem.

Unfortunately you cannot cut and paste the article unless you get permission, in writing, from the A.P.P. to use their copyright.

The reason for this is that the copyright owner knows, or should know, that the material is capable of being read by anyone. The copyright owner can also remove the material for any reason at all making it unavailable.

However if an article is copy and pasted the owner of the copyright has no control over the distribution of the material. Worse, to copy and paste would make Cruise Critic liable for copyright infringement.

Here's the operative portion of our guidelines:

The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. ... the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

-------------------------------------------------

Sometimes a newspaper limits on line access to only its subscribers (such as the NY Times and the Wall St Journal) but a workaround is to Google the headline. Frequently that will pull up the article and will provide you with the URL. Then you can post the URL that will display the article, which would be just fine with us. Thanks for posting this question.

Thanks,

I will see what I can do on Monday.

Which is worse, de bark or de bite?

Roz, loved your comments on that thread. Bob and I should start a drinking game on our December cruise: Every time someone asks me, "Where does the dog go to the bathroom?", Bob should have to buy me a drink. Of course, I'd be unconscious by lunchtime, but we have the free drinks package, so it's all good.

Either that or I need some snappy come-backs to that question. Like,

"Oh, she's a girl, so usually the big ladies' room right next to the theater." Or,

"In the hallway right outside our cabin."

Or, on Celebrity Eclipse I could say,

"Did you see that big tree hanging in the Atrium?"

So funny! Honestly, it's so true! I love your answers.

I had become so sick of being asked the same question over and over I finally said, "he holds for the week, it's all in the training!" You should have seen their faces!

For all you CCI folks. CCI is sending out a questionnaire to all their graduates about fake Service Dogs and access problems.

I've already filled mine out and sent it back. I'm so glad to see that they're really forging ahead with trying to get the "fakes" out of the public and their "crap" off the net.

We MUST all remain proactive when it comes to wiping out the folks who want to bring misbehaving "Fi-Fi" into the supermarket or onboard a cruise ship.

Remember I told you guys about my mishap with Horton around this time of the year [2 years ago]. Where that dumb!@# woman pushed me down and tried to dognap Horty. Well, anyway, I've been having ongoing back and groin-pull pain from it. My right leg will sometimes pull so hard at the ligament that I can't walk on it.

Yesterday I had another visit with my doctor and she recommended that I start using ........Drum roll please.........A walker!!!! Just for stability and to make sure that I don't lose my balance and fall. She said, "as we get older it takes longer for our bodies to mend from such a fall!" I love how she said, "WE!" She's at least 10 years younger than me!

Me and a walker.....and Horton......what the heck!!!! Horton is so wonderful, he's a big boy as you know so, when I'm getting out of a chair he'll stand right in front of me as if to say, "hold on to me Mom!"

I bought a really cool walker, with a seat, storage and a back rest. I even have a cup holder. It does give me more security but amazing how these devices also have the tendency to age you!!!! :rolleyes:

I don't use it all the time because it scares my boss........she thinks it means that I won't be working much longer......I told her not to worry.....If they put me in an iron lung, I'll have it wheeled into my cubicle!!!!!

You have to have a sense of humor about these things! Look on the bright side, with the walker you may not get so many questions about Horton. So far I have not had any problems (except for people wanting to pet Henri all of the time - I don't blame them since she is so darn cute). I filled out the CCI survey, but I have not encountered any fake service dogs yet.

Dianne

We want to see a photo of the cupholders on the walker!

Chris I think what you meant to say is - We want to see what is in the cupholders on the walker - and does that mean it is double cupholdered? you can carry two drinks at a time?

maybe one for you and one for Horty?

I love you guys - sleep deprived Mrs F is so cheered up after reading all the fun stuff. I loved that thread AlexsPepa, it really appealed to my Scottish sense of humour, but what was even funnier was that some on there believed every word! Hilarious.

Chris - you are priceless! :D

Ah Aunty Roz - i can't believe its two years since that awful time! Just think you can happily carry your bottle of champagne around now (isn't that what those holders are really for???) and fill up to your hearts delight - that Chris will be so jealous! ;):p:D

So we had a tiny breakthrough a couple of nights ago when little teeny slept through from 1030 till 5am when the DH gets up for work. Brilliant, then she went back to sleep till 7 when I got up. It was a flash in the pan, back to broken sleep. I can't wait till she's on 3 feeds and getting out and about.

In saying all of this she's a little star. We decided to have a bit of fun and fundraise at the DH's work place. I thought we could maybe raise a few £ if we did a competition where people could guess Bonnie's name - £1 a guess. I made a big spreadsheet with 50 girls names and included all the names of those we cherish dearly - Brenda, Henri, Raylene, Misty to name but a few - current puppies being puppy walked in this area, you get the idea, and hidden in amongst them was Bonnie.

The prize was a Guide Dogs T shirt. And I promised I would bring Bonnie in for the prize giving and lots of cuddles!

We were starting to worry as no-one had chosen Bonnie and we were down to the last 7 names! By then most folk had picked a name. Anyway, the DH just happened to be walking past where they had the poster up and a couple of young ladies were deliberating on the few names left and one said "oh we've left it a bit late, there's not much choice now, och, I'll just have Bonnie". Thank dawgness, I don't know what we would have done if Bonnie's name hadn't been picked!

Yesterday was the prize giving - "Puppies and Pancakes" -and off we went, Bonnie, me and my friend who is a puppy boarder came to help. I made pancakes* for everyone (as a wee thank you from me), delicious with butter and Scottish home-made strawberry jam and of course a cup of tea! We timed it so we were there for their mid-morning tea break.

The girl who chose Bonnie's name was thrilled to bits that she won!

And I was even more thrilled when they handed me an envelope with £250 in it for Guide Dogs! Can you imagine - of course, I was a big blubb! ! I was going to be happy if we "sold" all 50 names and maybe got £50! People had generously donated much more than the £1 a name.

It was great fun and Bonnie behaved impeccably in the office, quite happily giving out cuddles. She slept for hours when she got home - exhausted- but what a star she is! They all know Aruba as well as she was a frequent visitor to the office, so I have to take her in to visit sometime as they all want to see her as well. My DH is lucky to work with such nice folk.

*The pancakes I make are slightly different from American pancakes - some call them Scottish drop scones. But right now I never want to see a pancake again, well at least for a week or so! LOL!

So Aunty Roz, when you come to visit oor wee hoosie, you will be having pancakes for your afternoon tea! :D

Can't wait to read it!!

Uh Oh People of LA watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Hi! All:

Just cruisin' through. We are in the process of slowly remodeling house. I have been using my ole faithful, dinosaur, desktop computer. If I have to move it one more time, one more time, I said........I am just glad I got my own puter back, I should stop complaining, but what good would that do?

Antie Roz, I have been trying to get my hubby to get one of those snazzy walkers and he keeps balking. He cannot walk very far before he needs to sit down and rest his legs. I just know he would be much more comfortable and want to go out more. I will have to find a picture of one like yours with a cup holder on it. That just may do the trick. Where did you get yours?

Fairbourne: I also love reading your stories. Well, everyones. The things we have been through, we can't make this stuff up!

Everyone have a great, end of week. :D