Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Actually, no rights. ESA animals are NOT covered by ADA, nor should they be. This is a large area where the fakers come into play. I'm SOOOO tired of people who really need to get a life!! Sorry, but the world just does NOT orbit around you. Service animals, fine, others no.

There are actually Federal Laws having to do with housing and aviation that do apply to people with ESAs, just as Roz said (but the ADA does not.)

None of us like fakers because they can cause problems for the service dog teams that follow after them.

I don't know how many of you carry dog insurance. Well, I do, from "PetPlan."

Dog insurance is like car insurance, it only covers you when something bad happens. It doesn't take care of well dog check-up's. Much like our car insurance doesn't pay for oil changes, lubes and tire rotations. It's so backwards.......Insurance should be thrilled to pay for maintenance on my wonderful dog and car!!!!

I just got a letter from PetPlan informing me that my policy will be changing at the next renewal on December 22nd.

The deductible will change, the reimbursement level will change and the monthly premium will go up by $41.05 per month. I'll be getting less and paying more. Seriously, do they think this is okay? I have NEVER put in a claim since I got Horton in 2012.

Well, I'm going to drop the insurance as of the renewal date and am putting Horton in a plastic bubble!!!!!

Any other suggestions are well accepted!

I don't know how many of you carry dog insurance. Well, I do, from "PetPlan."

Dog insurance is like car insurance, it only covers you when something bad happens. It doesn't take care of well dog check-up's. Much like our car insurance doesn't pay for oil changes, lubes and tire rotations. It's so backwards.......Insurance should be thrilled to pay for maintenance on my wonderful dog and car!!!!

I just got a letter from PetPlan informing me that my policy will be changing at the next renewal on December 22nd.

The deductible will change, the reimbursement level will change and the monthly premium will go up by $41.05 per month. I'll be getting less and paying more. Seriously, do they think this is okay? I have NEVER put in a claim since I got Horton in 2012.

Well, I'm going to drop the insurance as of the renewal date and am putting Horton in a plastic bubble!!!!!

Any other suggestions are well accepted!

We don't have Pet Plan but looked into it when we got our two Schnauzers back in 2000 and 2002. The limitations and exclusions, plus their option to increase premiums and/or deductibles and/or limit the vets they will accept made us decide not to go for it.

With some of the vet bills we've been hit with I'm wondering if we made the right call, but the other side is that the monthly premium is an expense we really didn't need then. Their vet bills over the last 4 years have been huge and have pretty much wiped out any chances for cruises.

My answer is that Horton isn't getting any younger and you've already made a substantial investment through your previously paid premiums so maybe this is a question best asked of your veterinarian to see whether this would be a wise decision.

We don't have Pet Plan but looked into it when we got our two Schnauzers back in 2000 and 2002. The limitations and exclusions, plus their option to increase premiums and/or deductibles and/or limit the vets they will accept made us decide not to go for it.

With some of the vet bills we've been hit with I'm wondering if we made the right call, but the other side is that the monthly premium is an expense we really didn't need then. Their vet bills over the last 4 years have been huge and have pretty much wiped out any chances for cruises.

My answer is that Horton isn't getting any younger and you've already made a substantial investment through your previously paid premiums so maybe this is a question best asked of your veterinarian to see whether this would be a wise decision.

Gee, thanks Walt for all the encouragement!!!! I hear you!

As a single woman now, everything is so expensive [$1400 to the dentist yesterday], and I refuse to stop working [mainly because it pays for my cruising habit.] Every monthly bill is less money that I have for discretionary spending.

If a real "God-forbid" were to happen to Horton I'd do everything I could to make it right for him!

We had a Shih-Tzu that cost us $9,000.00 by the time he had finished with all the necessary surgeries that he needed to save his life.

Just the normal Vet bills are staggering, not to mention the cost of his monthly flea/tick and heartworm medication. I know that we can get reimbursed for some of this but I like to stay away from doing this so that folks who are not working and have a truly difficult time can take advantage of these offers.

I will always have a dog in my life and, as the rest of you, will be faced with the Vet care and maintenance of our beloved Service Dogs and pets.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

...If a real "God-forbid" were to happen to Horton I'd do everything I could to make it right for him!

We had a Shih-Tzu that cost us $9,000.00 by the time he had finished with all the necessary surgeries that he needed to save his life. ...

I hear you. Our 1990's version wound up requiring, among other things, a canine Cardiologist and a pace maker so we can relate completely. (When she passed away we asked the cardiologist to find a worthy recipient of the pacemaker.)

Then in 2000 we added a new Schnauzer to our family and, knowing that the breed tends to have medical issues after age 10 or so, we gave serious consideration to Pet Plan but after talking with the breeder and the vet, we decided not to sign up.

Then in 2002 we brought a second Schnauzer into our family and really never gave insurance that much thought.

In retrospect (hindsight is always 20/20) that was a huge OOPS! We've since invested well over $20k in a variety of treatments for the two of them (and happy to do so, they are both the loves of our lives) but the financial hits have kept us off the high seas for quite a while.

Anyway, if you ever have a "God forbid" event occur with Horton there is no doubt at all that you would spend whatever it took to make sure you make things right for him.

So your decision is simply a matter of prognostication in consultation with your veterinarian, not whether you'd do whatever you could for Horton, the love of your life.

BTW, we do not regret for one second having spent what we spent for any of our pooches, all of whom paid us back enormously through their unconditional love and affection.

Edited by Host Walt

BTW, we do not regret for one second having spent what we spent for any of our pooches, all of whom paid us back enormously through their unconditional love and affection.

Horton is the love of my life, next to my children and grandchildren. He's taken care of as he were my child. I truly adore him!

Because he is a Service Dog he is afforded treatment and care that most pets do not receive. Such as cruising and staying in some of the finest hotels in the world.

I will ALWAYS have his back, no matter what!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

...If a real "God-forbid" were to happen to Horton I'd do everything I could to make it right for him!

We had a Shih-Tzu that cost us $9,000.00 by the time he had finished with all the necessary surgeries that he needed to save his life. ...

Anyway, if you ever have a "God forbid" event occur with Horton there is no doubt at all that you would spend whatever it took to make sure you make things right for him.

Horton's life is different than most dogs in that he gets to go on cruises, go to work with me and stay in some of the finest hotels and sleep under the table in some of the finest restaurants in the world, he is by my side 24/7.

I'm very lucky to have him in my life and will ALWAYS take the very best care of him!!!!

For those of you interested in using a "PottyBox" for your day to day uses for your dog, may I recommend "Doggy and The City" 818.282.3449. I live in the L.A. area but they may have a recommendation for those of you outside the area.

I can't speak enough good things about them. They're extremely reliable, use the best grass and keep the box and surrounding area very clean.

I get Horton's box changed every two weeks and it works perfectly for him. It's placed in an obscure corner of our parking garage and keeps him and me out of the elements and away from the crazy L.A. drivers.

For those of you interested in using a "PottyBox" for your day to day uses for your dog, may I recommend "Doggy and The City" 818.282.3449. I live in the L.A. area but they may have a recommendation for those of you outside the area.

What a great service for people in apartment buildings, with or without disabilities! We've traveled as a team now to enough big cities to realize that sometimes there is nothing close at hand but paving or parks with locked gates.

I feel lucky to live in the suburbs of a small Florida city with a fenced, grassy back yard where I can let Raylene go out. We also have neighborhood sidewalks with grassy strips where she can take care of business on our morning walk. Actually, a fenced back yard is usually required by Dogs for the Deaf. We were relieved to find a house and neighborhood we liked and could afford with an HOA that would permit us to add a fence (which had to be approved first). Most of Sarasota's new developments do not allow them.

Had some good news from a fellow-hearing dog partner who left yesterday on his first cruise with the dog, to the Caribbean on Holland America Line. They have been a team for less than a year.

Dogs for the Deaf knew I had cruised a few times, so when he asked them about the nuts and bolts, they put him in touch with me to get answers to his questions. He was already booked and I told him about this thread, about the needed paperwork, and about practicing using a box for the dog (which he built this summer.)

He has been really worried that his dog wouldn't use it, but reported that he has taken to it just fine, and took care of biz last night and this morning! I know how relieved he feels. Now he is planning to book while on board to take an Alaska cruise next summer. I'm so happy for them.

Had some good news from a fellow-hearing dog partner who left yesterday on his first cruise with the dog, to the Caribbean on Holland America Line. They have been a team for less than a year.

Dogs for the Deaf knew I had cruised a few times, so when he asked them about the nuts and bolts, they put him in touch with me to get answers to his questions. He was already booked and I told him about this thread, about the needed paperwork, and about practicing using a box for the dog (which he built this summer.)

He has been really worried that his dog wouldn't use it, but reported that he has taken to it just fine, and took care of biz last night and this morning! I know how relieved he feels. Now he is planning to book while on board to take an Alaska cruise next summer. I'm so happy for them.

Chris, I love success stories.

I wish you all could see Horton get off the elevator [at work] into the garage, where he heads straight for his "box", to him it's the north-forty of his plantation. It's safe, comfortable-easy to walk on, smells good and easy access for both of us.

I also have a box on my patio at home, where he goes in ease from the living room, through a sliding glass door [which remains open for him], or he will sit in front of the door and it's my job to watch his cue's [sitting position, in front of the door] to let me know that he has to go potty.

Horton has NEVER had a mistake at work or home and only once peed on the floor in front of the door where his potty box was onboard a ship, because our timing was off!

I always tend to get a little nervous when I first enter any cruise ship because I never know where they've placed the box and what's the filler. So, I make sure that he's had a chance to relieve himself before we board [i find a place near the dock that has dirt, gravel, rocks, grass, etc.] Then we board and scope-out the potty box. Once, the box is properly placed and filled up appropriately, we're ready to cruise!!!!!

That is so great that he is cruising with his dog. The first cruise is definitely nerve-racking; I will feel so much better about our next cruise. The more of us that cruise with our service dog the better - the ships will have to get it right eventually.

Henri also has a fenced back yard which makes it very easy for me. She does have a 5x5 box that she uses, but I don't have to always go out with her.

Dianne

Horton's life is different than most dogs in that he gets to go on cruises, go to work with me and stay in some of the finest hotels and sleep under the table in some of the finest restaurants in the world, he is by my side 24/7.

I'm very lucky to have him in my life and will ALWAYS take the very best care of him!!!!

I feel the same way, I am very lucky to have Henri and I definitely take the best care of her. I take her to the vet immediately at the first sign of any issue. We do not have Vet insurance because of the high premiums and exclusions. We have been lucky with non-service dogs that we have had in the past and have not had any large vet bills.

Dianne

I feel the same way, I am very lucky to have Henri and I definitely take the best care of her. I take her to the vet immediately at the first sign of any issue. We do not have Vet insurance because of the high premiums and exclusions. We have been lucky with non-service dogs that we have had in the past and have not had any large vet bills.

Dianne

For some odd reason my first SD Brenda [who was a true Alpha dog] would get the "shakes" when we went to the Vet for her yearly check-up. Except for a skin tag removal when we first got her she didn't really have any Vet issues but her fear of the office was so apparent. She would literally try to jump onto my lap while waiting to be seen.

Horton falls asleep and is "Mr. Cool" when we're waiting to see the Vet.

I guess it in the dogs DNA to be fearful of certain places or not. And, I watch Horton very carefully now, more than ever because after December 22nd he will NOT have insurance.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

For some odd reason my first SD Brenda [who was a true Alpha dog] would get the "shakes" when we went to the Vet for her yearly check-up. Except for a skin tag removal when we first got her she didn't really have any Vet issues but her fear of the office was so apparent. She would literally try to jump onto my lap while waiting to be seen.

Horton falls asleep and is "Mr. Cool" when we're waiting to see the Vet.

I guess it in the dogs DNA to be fearful of certain places or not. And, I watch Horton very carefully now, more than ever because after December 22nd he will NOT have insurance.

That's interesting about Brenda! (Love learning about other S. Dogs' quirks.) Raylene is Miss Cool Cucumber, very relaxed at the vet, nothing they do bothers her - they love cuddling her in the exam room because they (and all vets, of course) deal with so many frightened or hostile doggies, they report.

My theory is that she was used to all the poking and prodding from Day One at Guide Dogs for the Blind. But Brenda would have had similar exams at CCI. Just a dog's personality, I guess.

We once had a dog that would start shaking approaching the vet's shopping center, and had to be dragged out of the car.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

That's interesting about Brenda! (Love learning about other S. Dogs' quirks.) Raylene is Miss Cool Cucumber, very relaxed at the vet, nothing they do bothers her - they love cuddling her in the exam room because they (and all vets, of course) deal with so many frightened or hostile doggies, they report.

My theory is that she was used to all the poking and prodding from Day One at Guide Dogs for the Blind. But Brenda would have had similar exams at CCI. Just a dog's personality, I guess.

We once had a dog that would start shaking approaching the vet's shopping center, and had to be dragged out of the car.

Brenda also was very territorial over one thing and one thing ONLY; her couch! The couch in our living room was "off limits" to my husband and others sleeping on it....but then Brenda came into our home and "tagged" it hers. She got up onto it and made it her own! I didn't mind [i felt she had earned a very special place in our home.] I wanted her to feel comfortable. I found a really nice cover for the couch and still have it to this day. When Horton came to live with us he NEVER went near the couch. They didn't have words over it, I guess it was just that, "no words needed to be exchanged" thing. It was silently understood that this belonged to her. He had great respect for her and she in turn treated him very well. They NEVER acted in a bad towards each other ever!

Horton is a very submissive dog. He's truly a gentle giant! Brenda was much smaller and not nearly as handsome as he is but she was the Alpha dog and he knew it. She looked just like her dad "Bobby", a pure English Lab; short, kind of squatty looking with the most adorable face! I will miss her forever!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Horton is a very submissive dog. He's truly a gentle giant! Brenda was much smaller and not nearly as handsome as he is but she was the Alpha dog and he knew it. She looked just like her dad "Bobby", a pure English Lab; short, kind of squatty looking with the most adorable face! I will miss her forever!

Henri absolutely loves going to the vet! She gives out kisses and the tail is wagging furiously even though almost every time we go she is getting a vaccination or blood work.

I love Henri's English lab face and her jowls!!

Dianne

Henri absolutely loves going to the vet! She gives out kisses and the tail is wagging furiously even though almost every time we go she is getting a vaccination or blood work.

I love Henri's English lab face and her jowls!!

Dianne

I'm a big picture taker........I have pictures all over my walls and tables at home and in my office of my wonderful dogs.......Okay....I have a lot of my kids too!!!!

I can't wait to get a new formal picture of Horty onboard the Island Princess.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Happy, Healthy and fun filled weekend everyone!

We're only in the high 80's today and not 95 as we've been for the past few days.......Hello summer in the fall!!!!

To ALL our amazingly wonderful and brave Vets......THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for keeping us safe and for all that you do for ALL of us!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We just got back from another doggie eye doctor. The first one wasn't sure if he had eye melanoma or not. We needed to get a second opinion. This one said she doesn't think it's cancer, she thinks it's a cyst of some kind. So we are just going to check it a few times a year. Have a good weekend. 😀

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by rangeley

We just got back from another doggie eye doctor. The first one wasn't sure if he had eye melanoma or not. We needed to get a second opinion. This one said she doesn't think it's cancer, she thinks it's a cyst of some kind. So we are just going to check it a few times a year. Have a good weekend.

I'm so glad to hear this. I hope it continues to be something benign for Wexy's sake! Great news!!!!

We just got back from another doggie eye doctor. The first one wasn't sure if he had eye melanoma or not. We needed to get a second opinion. This one said she doesn't think it's cancer, she thinks it's a cyst of some kind. So we are just going to check it a few times a year. Have a good weekend. 😀

That is great news - must be a relief for you!

Dianne