Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Evenin' all:

Cindy: What fabulous pictures of Wexler! He is one handsome man. The baby pictures are too cute. I have a baby photo album of Reno. Wish I could post them. Maybe I can try that since they are pictures and not on the camera or phone. I will work on it.

This is a happy place to come to relieve all the everyday trials and tribulations. Such sweet babies.

Nancy

Hi guys. We have had an interesting night. Valentine was just not acting right this afternoon and it continued into the evening. We ended up taking her to the emergency vet. Somehow she had managed to hurt or strain her hips. They also have developed arthritis in the joints. I can't imagine how she managed to hurt herself! We have doggie steps everywhere so she never jumps or climbs. (we learned this the hard way when she was a puppy with a laxating patela) Anyway she let us know that something wasn't right so since she can't tell us what hurt off to the vet we went. She ended up with some pain meds for a few days and is to rest. Bless her heart I forget that she is almost 9 years old. I hate to say it but everyday puts her closer to becoming the most loved retired service dog ever born. I cry everytime I time I think of her retiring. She has been everywhere with me encluding 8 cruises and 2 trips to St Thomas. She is to go withg me again this October on a month long European cruise and I think this will be her last cruise.

I hope that I didn't bring anyone down but I know if anyone would understand you guys would. Thanks for being here tonight.

Valentine and her mom

Dear Valentine,

I know exactly how you must feel. I'm 9 years old and I just got a 3 year renewal on my Service License. Wow! Now if I can just live up to it......Roz, sits down on the couch next to me on those mornings when it just seems like another day of trying to keep up with her would just do me in and I'm laying here for my second wind and, she's got huge tears in her eyes......I know, I know....I can't let her down. I force myself to get up and get going, when all I really want to do is just lay here and RELAX!

It's so hard for humans to understand that we're okay with retirement and doing nothing......it's them, they don't adjust well!!!!!!!

Valentine, I'm sorry your hips and joints are hurting and I'm even sorrier that your Mom is feeling so sad and can't stand the thought of you not being beside her every moment.

Feel good, my dear friend and stay strong......Roz and I are sending our biggest hugs and licks to you and we hope that your pain will go away very soon.

Your Mom is so smart and in tune to you......your lucky to have her in your life. And, I know she feels lucky to have you in hers!

Pawlightly,

Brenda

Well, it finally happened. Through all the excitement of Cindy, John and Wexler's homecoming (which was so much fun), I've been dealing with Princess and their Enrichment Programs Manager and Entertainment Department.

For years and through Brenda's many cruises we've been approached more than a dozen times by other passengers, while onboard, to have a demonstration of what she does for me and how she does it.

I contacted Princess [for over 2 years] and suggested it.....today, I got a phone call from the Entertainment Department Manager and, we're set.

* ANNOUNCEMENT *

Brenda Elizabeth, Service Dog Extraordinaire, will be performing in the Vista Lounge or the Wheelhouse Bar on the first sea day on September 6th, onboard the Golden Princess to Alaska.

I keep telling her what a "star" she is......she looks at me with her big brown eyes, runs and get her tennis ball and says, "come on, lets go play!"

Meanwhile, I have butterflys in my stomach and am very excited to finally get the word out about these amazing dogs to as many folks who will show-up!

I'm thrilled to let the world know about CCI and how they may get involved on a personal level.

Well, it finally happened. Through all the excitement of Cindy, John and Wexler's homecoming (which was so much fun), I've been dealing with Princess and their Enrichment Programs Manager and Entertainment Department.

For years and through Brenda's many cruises we've been approached more than a dozen times by other passengers, while onboard, to have a demonstration of what she does for me and how she does it.

I contacted Princess [for over 2 years] and suggested it.....today, I got a phone call from the Entertainment Department Manager and, we're set.

* ANNOUNCEMENT *

Brenda Elizabeth, Service Dog Extraordinaire, will be performing in the Vista Lounge or the Wheelhouse Bar on the first sea day on September 6th, onboard the Golden Princess to Alaska.

I keep telling her what a "star" she is......she looks at me with her big brown eyes, runs and get her tennis ball and says, "come on, lets go play!"

Meanwhile, I have butterflys in my stomach and am very excited to finally get the word out about these amazing dogs to as many folks who will show-up!

I'm thrilled to let the world know about CCI and how they may get involved on a personal level.

How freaking cool is that!!! :D Wish I was going to be onboard - I'd love to see it. You'll be fine Roz because Brenda will simply strut her stuff. Have fun!

Miriam

How freaking cool is that!!! :D Wish I was going to be onboard - I'd love to see it. You'll be fine Roz because Brenda will simply strut her stuff. Have fun!

Miriam

Thank you, Miriam. I wish all of my "Cruising With a Service Dog" friends could be onboard with us.....we'd have such a good time.

Morey is just as excited about this wonderful opportunity as I am.

And, Miss Brenny, well, she's snoring in her crate, as I write this! :p

First of all: "Woo-Hoo", Roz and Brenda and of course Morley will be a fabulous addition to the entertainment on sea day. Maybe you should offer complimentary "dog-tini's" to the entertainment:D. I am sure that you guys will be fabulous. I give presentations quite often so understand the jitters. People will be so focused on Brenda, that sadly, you will be in the background. If people ask what they can do, of course $$$$$ always helps, but maybe you can suggest if they are interested in actually working with dogs to do a search and see if either there is a CCI near them(for puppy raising), or if they are in Georgia, to check out Canine Assistants.

On another note, I have a "golden-doodle" next to me as I type. He is sooooo handsome(and cute) and super smart. I imagine he will graduate in the next few training camps. (Roz, watch your email, I'll send you a pic). I have had a lot of puppies lately, and while they are so cute and fun, it is nice to have a "grown-up" dog for a change.

Sandy is sulking in the bedroom, but I think she will come out soon. Handsome here backed off at the first lip curl from her.....

* ANNOUNCEMENT *

You could always show them how Brenda picks things up...like $20 bills. :D

But she can't give them back. :(

First of all: "Woo-Hoo", Roz and Brenda and of course Morley will be a fabulous addition to the entertainment on sea day. Maybe you should offer complimentary "dog-tini's" to the entertainment:D. I am sure that you guys will be fabulous. I give presentations quite often so understand the jitters. People will be so focused on Brenda, that sadly, you will be in the background. If people ask what they can do, of course $$$$$ always helps, but maybe you can suggest if they are interested in actually working with dogs to do a search and see if either there is a CCI near them(for puppy raising), or if they are in Georgia, to check out Canine Assistants.

On another note, I have a "golden-doodle" next to me as I type. He is sooooo handsome(and cute) and super smart. I imagine he will graduate in the next few training camps. (Roz, watch your email, I'll send you a pic). I have had a lot of puppies lately, and while they are so cute and fun, it is nice to have a "grown-up" dog for a change.

Sandy is sulking in the bedroom, but I think she will come out soon. Handsome here backed off at the first lip curl from her.....

Sunshine, thank you, you're words of encouragement mean a lot to me. I truly respect the work that you do. And, your good ideas are not going un-noticed. I will have brochures from CCI for all that watch the demo. and I will offer the opportunity to anyone who would like to give Brenny a few commands of their own.

I love the "doodle" combo dogs. They're so cute. I can't wait to see the picture.

Sandy is entitled to sulk....he shares his Mom, all the time, and I'm sure those lip curls are very meaninful!!!!!

Valentine's Mom, So sorry to hear about your dog. Even if she has to stop working, she will still be the best pet ever. Rangeley passed away before we had to retire him, so I don't know that feeling but I'm sure it's hard. You will make the right choice for you and your family.

Cindy

Hey, I like the $20 pick-up trick! "And she is trained only to give them back to me!!!" :D

Have a great cruise, and I know you'll do well with the presentation...Brenda has you well trained!! :p

She does have me well trained....that's for sure!!!

But, it's not me they'll want to see.....it's her!!!!

Roz, AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Omg you must be so excited to show all that Brenny can do. You will both be great. I wish I was going to be there to watch. Tell hubby to video it for us.

Doggie Update: Wexler is still awsome! hehehe Bailee is better everyday. Today she has kissed him and chased him around the yard. He stole one of Johns socks and ran with it. I couldn't believe she chased him. This morning when we woke up Wexy ran out of the bedroom so say good morning to Bailee. It was so cute, but she is still alittle leary when he comes at her at 90mph.

Cindy

Roz, AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Omg you must be so excited to show all that Brenny can do. You will both be great. I wish I was going to be there to watch. Tell hubby to video it for us.

Doggie Update: Wexler is still awsome! hehehe Bailee is better everyday. Today she has kissed him and chased him around the yard. He stole one of Johns socks and ran with it. I couldn't believe she chased him. This morning when we woke up Wexy ran out of the bedroom so say good morning to Bailee. It was so cute, but she is still alittle leary when he comes at her at 90mph.

Cindy

Cindy, thank you for sharing updates on "our" Wexy....he does belong to all of us, you know!!!!!

How cute that Bailee is chasing him.....it won't be long, they'll be laying down together. It's that younger man thing!!!!

How old is Bailee?

And, thank you for your good wishes, they mean a lot to me. I wish you could be onboard too!!!!!

You guys keep me strong and I truly appreciate your friendship.

* ANNOUNCEMENT *

"Introducing... Brenda the Wonder Dog!"

How I wish I could be on the Golden Princess... just to see Brenda! Good Luck, and congratulations!

"Introducing... Brenda the Wonder Dog!"

How I wish I could be on the Golden Princess... just to see Brenda! Good Luck, and congratulations!

Hey Miss. "M": How are you? Do you believe our Brenny doing her own show? Who knew it would come to this?

You could be on the Golden, we've cruised before, this could be one more!

Thank you for your good wishes!

Well, it's been almost 24 hours and Valentine is doing much better. She says that I just jumped to conclusions and then got sentimental about retiring me. I told her to wait till I see my regular doctor before doing anything harsh and she seems less worried today.

Thanks for all of the support that I received it truly helped.

Wow! Brenda how great that you and your mom and taking it on stage. Although my special talents can't be seen or demenstrated if feel that you are up there for all of us. My mom and I are going to be in line for autograughs if ever our paths meet. I told her that we should go on that cruise but she says that we are going to be on a different cruise in Europe for a whole month! (that is if I feel ok to work) Mommy says that I may have to travel in a stroller!

Sunshine keep helping those young dogs reach their potential so that they can take over when we become to tired to work anymore.

Well' date=' it's been almost 24 hours and Valentine is doing much better. She says that I just jumped to conclusions and then got sentimental about retiring me. I told her to wait till I see my regular doctor before doing anything harsh and she seems less worried today.

Thanks for all of the support that I received it truly helped.

Wow! Brenda how great that you and your mom and taking it on stage. Although my special talents can't be seen or demenstrated if feel that you are up there for all of us. My mom and I are going to be in line for autograughs if ever our paths meet. I told her that we should go on that cruise but she says that we are going to be on a different cruise in Europe for a whole month! (that is if I feel ok to work) Mommy says that I may have to travel in a stroller!

Sunshine keep helping those young dogs reach their potential so that they can take over when we become to tired to work anymore.[/quote']

Yipppeeeeee! We're all so glad that Valentine is doing better......what a relief for all of you!!!!!!!!!! And, us!!!!! See prayers do work!!!!

And, strollers fold-up and travel very nicely. Good girl....keep up the good work. Stay strong!

Brenda and I represent all of "us"....We who walk or wheel with a special dog who makes our lives richer/fuller and easier. We will make you all proud and will show how amazing these Service Dogs are. And how varied their tasks can be!!!!

And, how rich and full their lives are.....Afterall, furbabies don't get to go on cruises. :cool:

Valentine: I sure am glad you are feeling better. Nothing worse than aches and pains and we can't tell our mom's what is wrong. I had to go to the doctor today. Mom and Dad got really scared because I was throwing up and couldn't keep anything down, even water. I carried one of my cookies around in my mouth for about an hour, it got pretty mushy but I didn't want to eat it and then ralph it up. Anyway, good news, doctor says I don't have Parvo, I had to get a shot to hydrate me and boy did it hurt. I had to climb on moms shoulder and give her cuddles. Then they had to give me liquids thru a needle on my back. Didn't hurt as bad as that shot. The doctor also checked what we thought were hot spots and he said, no, he wasn't sure what it was. Said no bugs or diseases so just to watch it.........Ok, enough about me, glad you are on the mend.

Woof and sniffs,

Jezzy Lou

Roz and Ms. Brenny;

Holy Toledo, Batman! I have chills on top of chills. But then I didn't know Brenda's middle name is Elizabeth. That is my middle name too, so I can see where she gets her talent, brains and beauty! LOLOLOL. From her Auntie Nancy.

That must be such satisfaction knowing that someone is finally listening and acting on some very important information that needs to get out there. I think they do video tape all the presentations, because don't they usually play it on the TV in your room, throughout the week? That would be totally awesome to see our very own Roz and Brenny doing their thing.

Wow what a great couple of weeks we have had with Sexy Wexie joining us and now Brenny becoming a star"let".

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

I am sorry that so many of our furry friends are not feeling well:(. hope everyone is on the end. My Sandy has been doing much better since her steroid shot and now oral prednisone. I am still using the salmon oil though. By the way, my new favorite product is Greenies "Pill Pockets", it even disgusies the nasty taste of prednisone. Worth every penny, no more sticking a pill on the back of her tongue and rubbing her throat.

My "Doodle" is doing great. Slept all night in the crate, although I had to do some luring last night. He looks like a giant bath mat on my floor right now. We are off to visit MIL at the retirement home, so exposure to elevators and lot's of walkers. Plus, I can only imagine the looks he'll get when we go into the lobby. I haven't told MIL what type of dog I am bringing, I am sure she thinks it will be another golden. Can't wait to see her reaction to this big curly fella. I have had some many puppies home lately, I forgot how easy an older dog can be(older means around 2 years old,lol). Off for our walk. Sandy has forgiven me and is lying nex to me on the sofa. As long as curly here stays on the floor while she has the high ground, she is pretty content.

I'm so glad that our babies are feeling better. Nothing worse than a doggie being sick. Hugs and licks to all our sick friends.

Roz, Bailee will be 12 in January. Wexy was trying to play with her this morning and I guess she had enough and she barked at him :eek: Hackles were up too! No harm done though. I think she was just putting him in his place.

Cindy

Jezzy Lou: So glad that your doing okay. Now, stay that way. Brenny hates, hates, hates the Vet. Because I've seen the way she reacts when she's there, I become nervous too! I try to show the calm exterior but inside I'm jello.

Stay well, Jezzy.

Nancy, thank for your good wishes on Miss Brenny and her new career! I hope to educate the public while having fun. What a great combination!

Sunshine: Have you noticed any changes with the Salmon Oil yet? We didn't notice any changes in Brenny's skin and fur for almost 6 months and then it was like magic and has been for the past 4 years.

Let us know how your MIL reacted to "doodles!"

Cindy: 12 years....Yey, Bailee, you go girl!!!!!! I'm glad she's showing the "big boy" who's boss! It also means they're paying more attention to each other. Enjoy them!