Water Shoes

Diggerdon

We are going to be snorkeling in Hawaii and also Tubing the Ditch. Do we need water shoes for these things. If they are needed I would rather buy some than wear some from someone else. If we need them what kind and how much should we expect to pay for them. Thanks Diggerdon

I ordered some from overtons.com last year for DH and DS. On sale for like $20. This past weekend I went to LLBEAN and bought DD and myself some. All of them look like sneakers and can be worn everyday. They dry quickly and are very comfy with a nice sole for walking in.

• 2 weeks later...

For anything else, shoes are fine. For snorkling- wear nothing. You should not be touching anything. If you do, coral dies. One half of our reefs die because of humans. Don't contribute- wear nothing and feel the pain if you touch it.

Most protected reefs don't even allow you to wear gloves- please don't wear anything- it will make you more aware of your surroundings if you fear of touching something that hurts, or dies.

PS- I'm not some tree hugging freak- I'm a scuba diver that wants something to look at in 10 years....

Lisa

For anything else, shoes are fine. For snorkling- wear nothing. You should not be touching anything. If you do, coral dies. One half of our reefs die because of humans. Don't contribute- wear nothing and feel the pain if you touch it.

Most protected reefs don't even allow you to wear gloves- please don't wear anything- it will make you more aware of your surroundings if you fear of touching something that hurts, or dies.

PS- I'm not some tree hugging freak- I'm a scuba diver that wants something to look at in 10 years....

Lisa

Strange -- I posted a thread a while back and people overwhelmingly responded that they use and/or recommend using fins while snorkeling...

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?referrerid=149385&t=576794

:confused:

Strange -- I posted a thread a while back and people overwhelmingly responded that they use and/or recommend using fins while snorkeling...

:confused:

Fins are for horizontal position, shoes are for vertical position. While snorkeling the reefs are below you thus vertical position bad. :)

Randall

Archived