the "Hurricane Charley Refugees" are back!

Diva70

WELL. Talk about a LONG vacation. LOL. WHEESH!

We returned to Port Canaveral Thursday a.m. - cruise was wonderful - Nassau stunning - Jason won the best dancer in the hairy chest contest, lol. I'll write a report later. After we got to Port we found out all about Charley and Jason got a little nervous, and started bugging me about going to Orlando that day (we were due to fly out Friday night). I thought that was silly and we should enjoy our last day in Florida, which we did, but staying attached to the radio/TV at all times. We had planned on flying out of Orlando Friday night (stayed the day/night in Indialantic). Friday morning we kept hearing about cancelled/delayed flights out of Orlando, so I called Alaska - yup, they cancelled the flight and the next one they had out was on MONDAY night. HUH?! OK end of vacation and no $$ YIKES! It took hours to figure out the rental car situation, getting some $$ wired to us, and getting some more $$ put on our credit card (the cruise line and the car were holding some for deposits etc so it was locking up our card). THANK GOODNESS our innkeeper was a wonderful guy who offered to let us stay and send him a check later. We would have never got a room anywhere else anyway. Also thank goodness I didn't listen to Jason to go into Orlando the night before, it got hit REALLY bad. The destruction in Florida is SO much worse than the national TV stations are displaying. It is just horrible.

Anyway, many days later we are home and safe and all is well. The eye hit about 40 miles E and 15 miles N of where we were, we just got hit with the feeder bands - which was pretty dramatic in itself. People keep asking if we will go back to Florida and that is an absolute 100% yes, it's beautiful and we completely fell in love with the little town we were in, Indialantic. In fact, our plan now is to move there when the youngest graduates high school, believe it or not! LOL.

Talk to you all soon.

~Holly

Glad you made it home safe! Looking forward to a ship review when you get all settled in at home. We will be sailing the Glory in Jan. We are also in Spokane. The North side. My DH went to Mead. I am from California been here 11 years though.

Glad you made it back safety too! I've been through several hurricanes. What an experience huh! What is the name of the hotel you stayed at that the innkeeper let you mail him a check? I think it's terrible there are price gougers out there who take advantage of people during a crisis. To me they are the scum of the earth. But when a business goes above and beyond to help people, I try to remember and do business with them if I have the opportunity. :)

Glad you made it back safe and sound and that your cruise was good. Did you sail on the Glory?

Your right about FL. I'm in Tampa. The Hurricane was headed for us and turned just before hitting land fall. Can you imagine one day having a job and home and the next nothing? That is what some of the people are going through. If you want to make a donation here is the Red Cross no. 1-863-294-5941.

Thanks everyone. :)

Hey Casey, when did your DH graduate, mine went to Mead too...graduated in 89. One of the famous (err...infamous lol) "Lee Boys", if he know them.

The inn keeper's name was Robert, he runs Oceanfront Cottages in Indialantic. It's the greatest place to stay...beautifully decorated, very classy yet "island" feeling, and he obviously takes a ton of pride in the place. I'd recommend staying there 110%, and will definitely be back. We were on the Fantasy.

I hope all of you in the hurricane area are safe and sound, and we are thinking of you.

~Holly

Archived