Travel from San Antonio to Galveston on Sunday, July 8, 2007

BlackJack2

HELP! Travelling from San Antonio, through Houston, to Galveston on Sunday, July 8. From I-10, should we take the Sam Houston Tollway to I-45 or take I-10 through Houston to I-45? Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Check

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

My choice would be the Sam Houston Tollway (be careful at the exit to the Sam Houston from I-10 as there is a bit of a construction mess in that area) but either one would probably work. Be aware also that there is construction on I-45 South in the area of NASA Parkway/League City which may impact your route to Galveston. And then there is the RAIN!!!!

P.S. If you have a toll-road sticker from anywhere in Texas, it will probably work on the Sam Houston. I know the Austin sticker works here also but don't know if you have one in the San Antonio area.

HELP! Travelling from San Antonio, through Houston, to Galveston on Sunday, July 8. From I-10, should we take the Sam Houston Tollway to I-45 or take I-10 through Houston to I-45? Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Lot of construction on I-10 on the west side, will cause delays. If it were me, I'd exit Hwy 6, go south to any major cross street such as Memorial Drive and take that east into the Beltway.

If it were me, I would avoid Highway 6. "Highway" is a misnomer. There are so many stoplights I do not know how they can legitimately still call it a highway.

If you have an EZ tag, the tollway would probably be the quickest/easiest. On a Sunday however you shouldn't hit that much traffic no matter which way you go.

If however you take I-10 into town and then to I-45 South, watch the interchange in downtown Houston. It's a little tricky...

Ditto on the avoiding Hwy 6 due to the stop lights. It is not a freeway, it is a hwy. built through a heavily populated area until you get to the Manville area. The toll road from I-10 to I-45 South or staying on I-10 to downtown Houston and I-45 South on a Sunday would be my choice. If it was a weekday I would pay for the tollway. You will hit three toll booths between I-10 & I-45 South. I'm not sure of the cost because I use EZTAG but I think the total for all three booths would be $3.00 to $3.75. I'm sure someone else can help with the exact cost.

Archived