Was I On The Same Cruise? Maasdam 06/30 - 07/07

bostom

...except - and yup, this is how rumors start so take it at face value - I heard that an entire wire "cage" of luggage was dropped and had not heard that any was retrieved. If memory serves, though, the story I heard was that it'd happened on the June 23rd sailing. Either way or day, how - one wonders - was the luggage retrieved? Did they send down divers? (The ship's draft is what, 24-25'? So the water has to be at least 30 feet deep, no?)

Whatever the story, that's the kind of proactive response one would expect and happy to hear it. That other problems were not or could not be resolved so happily, quickly, or completely seems to be the gist of much of what happened on the cruise.

It wasn't a rumor. They were seated at a table for two next to our table. Bill and Mary were in cabin 673 on the Main Deck. HAL did some major kissing up by comping their pre-dinner drinks and nice wine. We talked to them about the incident twice (before and after the clothes were laundered). I also heard the HAL dining staff discussing it with them.

We met a man (Bill) the first night on board whose clothes were dropped into the harbor while being loaded on the Maasdam. Bill said he was called and asked to be present when the HAL employee opened his bag. It and all his clothes were soaked.

The contents were sent to the laundry to see what could be saved. We saw him the next night in the dining room and he reported he received his clothes back very quickly. He was relieved not to have to wear one outfit for 8 days.

We met this gentleman. It is true his suitcase went into Boston Harbor.

But, HAL is NOT responsible.

HAL cannot touch any freight, any baggage that is loaded from the dock to the ship in any U.S. port. It is handled exclusively by members of Teamsters Union who have VERY strict rules as to at what point HAL workers can so much as put a hand on anything being loaded.

The gentleman explained to us that HAL contacted him as soon as they knew what had happened. They brought the bag to his room (actually corridor outside his room). They inventoried it with him.

The only two things they did not salvage for him were a silk tie and a red handkerchief which bled onto something else......which they were able to clean.

He was hugely impressed with the wonderful job they did and how they handled it.

DH and I watched on our turnaround day as the dock workers worked and the baggage crates they use are three sided. The fourth side is open. If they tilt it when raising it to the side of the ship, it is very obvious how one (or more) bags can fall off.

That's the story as told to me personally by the gentleman involved.

DH and I were so impressed by him and how calm he was about it. He was rather matter of fact as though this was an everyday occurence.

It wasn't a rumor. They were seated at a table for two next to our table. Bill and Mary were in cabin 673 on the Main Deck. HAL did some major kissing up by comping their pre-dinner drinks and nice wine. We talked to them about the incident twice (before and after the clothes were laundered). I also heard the HAL dining staff discussing it with them.

We sat in Ocean Bar with them more than once and saw him sign his bar bill. Perhaps they bought him a round of drinks at dinner....I don't know but I do know he paid his bar bill.

HAL had no reason to 'kiss up'. They did not drop his bag in the harbor. The Teamsters loading it from the dock did the dropping.

HAL has absolutely no control over them or what or how they do it. The port workers union calls the shots!

Who said Hal was responsible for the luggage going into the water ? Did I miss something ?

I took that 'implication' from the part that referred to HAL 'kissing up'. That could easily be interpreted to mean that HAL was making nice because of something they did wrong.

You may read it differently. That is how I read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by janisutx

It wasn't a rumor. They were seated at a table for two next to our table. Bill and Mary were in cabin 673 on the Main Deck. HAL did some major kissing up by comping their pre-dinner drinks and nice wine. We talked to them about the incident twice (before and after the clothes were laundered). I also heard the HAL dining staff discussing it with them

janisutx..... Were you seated on upper level of the dining room, starboard side at 8:00 seating?

Yes we were. However, Bill and Mary only had the table for two next to us once. A HAL officer and his friend were seated there most evenings.

I certainly didn't say it was HAL 's fault the luggage landed in the water. I am aware that the unions run the docks. HAL was only trying to acknowledge how unfortunate the incident was and to get their vacation back on track.

Perhaps by "kissing up" Janis meant that HAL tried to make up for the experience whether they were responsible or not. It happened between the time the passengers checked in and the baggage arrived in their stateroom. Certainly the Teamsters Union isn't sending wine to their stateroom anytime soon:) .

It was "under their watch" so to speak. HAL is to be admired for stepping up to the plate and trying to make up for the discomfort of the passenger.

If you want to get technical ... if a burglar walks up my sidewalk, trips and falls, I'm not really responsible. But guess who can get sued?:rolleyes:

I took that 'implication' from the part that referred to HAL 'kissing up'. That could easily be interpreted to mean that HAL was making nice because of something they did wrong.

You may read it differently. That is how I read it.

Fawning over them would have been a better choice of words.

Richard and both commented on how calm Bill was too. We kept running into them and they did seem to be enjoying themselves. They said they usually take land vacations.

They told us they had not cruised in about 15 years but would cruise again. They loved Maasdam and her crew. Thought her a fabulous ship. I agree they seemed to have a wonderful time.

{Quote:We sat in Ocean Bar with them more than once and saw him sign his bar bill. Perhaps they bought him a round of drinks at dinner....I don't know but I do know he paid his bar bill.

HAL had no reason to 'kiss up'. They did not drop his bag in the harbor. The Teamsters loading it from the dock did the dropping.

HAL has absolutely no control over them or what or how they do it. The port workers union calls the shots!}

While the Teamsters may be legally responsible, the public relations problem something like this can cause would be HAL's and it is not unreasonable to have HAL feel they should do something for the pax affected. The ordinary pax is thinking they had booked and were boarding a HAL ship when the luggage was dumped and not parse the legalities of responsibility at the time. The pax signing a bar tab does not mean HAL did not pick up the drinks at all. Every drink served by a bartender needs to be accounted for by a pax, but HAL could easily have removed these charges from his account. The tab is proof of what the bartender served and to whom.

How in the world do you remember these folks signing bar tabs? Obviously there was no knowledge or rumor of HAL comping their drinks at that time, so why even notice?

Perhaps by "kissing up" Janis meant that HAL tried to make up for the experience whether they were responsible or not. It happened between the time the passengers checked in and the baggage arrived in their stateroom. Certainly the Teamsters Union isn't sending wine to their stateroom anytime soon:) .

It was "under their watch" so to speak. HAL is to be admired for stepping up to the plate and trying to make up for the discomfort of the passenger.

If you want to get technical ... if a burglar walks up my sidewalk, trips and falls, I'm not really responsible. But guess who can get sued?:rolleyes:

In that scenario, one would think to sue the city of town for an accident which occured on a municipal sidewalk. If it happened on your front walk, they would be a different story.

I'm not a lawyer :) but stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

{Quote:We sat in Ocean Bar with them more than once and saw him sign his bar bill. Perhaps they bought him a round of drinks at dinner....I don't know but I do know he paid his bar bill.

HAL has absolutely no control over them or what or how they do it. The port workers union calls the shots!}

While the Teamsters may be legally responsible, the public relations problem something like this can cause would be HAL's and it is not unreasonable to have HAL feel they should do something for the pax affected. The ordinary pax is thinking they had booked and were boarding a HAL ship when the luggage was dumped and not parse the legalities of responsibility at the time. The pax signing a bar tab does not mean HAL did not pick up the drinks at all. Every drink served by a bartender needs to be accounted for by a pax, but HAL could easily have removed these charges from his account. The tab is proof of what the bartender served and to whom.

How in the world do you remember these folks signing bar tabs? Obviously there was no knowledge or rumor of HAL comping their drinks at that time, so why even notice?

You are so right! They had to sign for their drinks and wine but were told there were no charges.

We sat in Ocean Bar with them more than once and saw him sign his bar bill. Perhaps they bought him a round of drinks at dinner....I don't know but I do know he paid his bar bill.

HAL has absolutely no control over them or what or how they do it. The port workers union calls the shots!

Sail I have to disagree with you here. While this is technically true, we hand over our baggage at the dock to what is in some cases a HAL employee. While its not HAL people physically doing the manual labor or moving the luggage, it is out of our control.

It is in there interest to "kiss up" as the Teamsters are working for HAL loading the gear. HAL is paying them for that service. As a manager I assure you there are many times my staff does something, that while not my fault personally, they work for me, and I take responsibility for their actions.

This would be different if we were given a choice, haul your own luggage aboard, or pay the longshoremen to do it for you. If we were paying the longshoremen directly then HAL is completely uninvolved. But that is not the case here.

HAL takes care of their guest first and takes responsibility for the cargo workers actions. Its the right thing to do. Its also part of the cruise contract written by their own attorneys:

"7. Baggage: (a) We will carry as baggage only your personal effects consisting of wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar items for your wearing, comfort or convenience during the Cruise, Cruisetour and HAL Land Trips and not belonging to or intended for use by any other person or for sale. Radioactive materials, controlled substances (other than lawfully obtained prescription drugs), firearms and illicit materials are strictly prohibited. For loading and unloading the Ship and other means of transportation, all baggage must be tendered for carriage in securely constructed and locked suitcases or trunks. All baggage must be able to be both safely stowed in your cabin on the Ship and, for Cruisetours and HAL Land Trips, fit in the baggage compartment of any means of transportation. The only animals permitted to accompany you are qualified service animals for passengers with disabilities; you are responsible for complying with governmental health and other requirements as to service animals.

(b) We are not liable for: (1) any loss, damage or delay before baggage comes into our actual custody at the commencement of your Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip or after baggage leaves our actual custody at the conclusion of your Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip; (2) any loss, damage or delay while baggage is not in our custody which includes any period during which baggage is in the custody of airlines (including airlines booked as part of a HAL Air Package); or (3) damage due to wear, tear or normal usage. For security and legal reasons, baggage is subject to search, and illegal or potentially unsafe property is subject to seizure, both before and during the Cruise, Cruisetour and/or HAL Land Trip. "

The key phrase is "our actual custody" , when your luggage is taken by a HAL agent at your hotel for transfer, or by an agent at the dock they are accepting custody of it and as such are liable by their own contract. The language is specific in its exmeptions such as airlines but the rest is pretty much black and white. So they really do have a reason to "kiss up" if you look at it that way

You are indeed correct that HAL is paying them.......a great deal of money.

Not like they have any choice in the matter, is there? If they wish to come into any U.S. port, they are told what and how to do it.

I don't think there is lots of room for negotiation about such things.

Peaches........ I recall about them signing their tabs because of various conversations we had with them. Among those conversations, was a discussion of price of drinks on the ships and how much the price has changed through the years. And while we were talking about just that, we were each presented with our bar tabs to sign before we went to dinner.

Hope that explains my particular memory of that event. If you wish more info, I'll be happy to expound more fully.

You are indeed correct that HAL is paying them.......a great deal of money.

Not like they have any choice in the matter, is there? If they wish to come into any U.S. port, they are told what and how to do it.

I don't think there is lots of room for negotiation about such things.

regardless of the choice they have, their own cruise contract acknowledges their responsibility once they accept the luggage into their custody. So they are culpable under the law as far as a passenger is concerned. As I said before, while they may not have been the one to have a Boston luggage party in the harbor.... they did the right thing, they owned up to the contract and took care of the affected passenger. Accidents happen.

regardless of the choice they have, their own cruise contract acknowledges their responsibility once they accept the luggage into their custody. So they are culpable under the law as far as a passenger is concerned. As I said before, while they may not have been the one to have a Boston luggage party in the harbor.... they did the right thing, they owned up to the contract and took care of the affected passenger. Accidents happen.

The person whose suitcase landed in the harbor was extremely happy with how HAL handled it. He did not have any complaint so.....where's the problem? If he is happy, seems to me all is well. HAL acted appropriately, effectively and immediately and pleased their guest. Isn't that the whole story?

Peaches - Regarding the clothes - we had to lay them on the couches because the closet in the dressing room was near/under the leak, every time I tried to use the dressing table, water came down on my head. The closet by the bar/front door to the hall was in the same line of fire so to speak.

Here's the problem. We were traveling on this cruise with my sister and brother-in law, whose tickets I booked and paid for, in addition to our own. They were in an oceanview with no leak or no problem. They were inconvenienced only in that the cocktail parties with hors d'oevres that we planned for a few evenings in our suite had to be cancelled because the room was a mess due to the leaks. Otherwise, they were fine

However, inexplicably, HAL has sent us a letter saying it has given some (not a lot - my words) "Future Cruise Credit" to THEM! They weren't in the suite with us.

The ports were great. The food was fine. The suite and the customer service leave a lot to be desired. One of the engineers said that they get leaks frequently, that the ship was built in Italy with thin piping and that they don't replace the piping, just clamp it. I don't know .........

We're still negotiating.

The person whose suitcase landed in the harbor was extremely happy with how HAL handled it. He did not have any complaint so.....where's the problem? If he is happy, seems to me all is well. HAL acted appropriately, effectively and immediately and pleased their guest. Isn't that the whole story?

I don't think anyone ever said there was a problem.

The last couple of posts addressed your earlier post:

But, HAL is NOT responsible

and who picked up the bar tab.

I think both issues have been cleared nicely up by fcorey and janisutx. :)

However, inexplicably, HAL has sent us a letter saying it has given some (not a lot - my words) "Future Cruise Credit" to THEM! They weren't in the suite with us.

Unbelievable !!

Archived