Was I On The Same Cruise? Maasdam 06/30 - 07/07

bostom

HAL had no reason to 'kiss up'. They did not drop his bag in the harbor. The Teamsters loading it from the dock did the dropping.

HAL has absolutely no control over them or what or how they do it. The port workers union calls the shots!

Judy,

While you are correct that such events are not HALs fault but the fault of the Teamsters, when it does happen HAL nevertheless goes to great lengths to "make it right" because they have ultimate responsibility for the service being provided. I'm sure that HAL is compensated by the Teamsters (or, more likely, by the Teamsters malpractice insurance) for the expenses incurred on such occasions, but HAL considers it their duty to take care of their passengers who are horribly inconvenienced by such events.

As Chaplain I have been called in to try and calm down some hysterical people to whom such things have happened. I've seen Hotel Managers explain that compensation will be made, various forms of compensation offered for the loss of items that cannot be repaired or replaced, etc. I've seen horrible messes -- briny-icky-mucky-water logged suits and dresses treated and cleaned and returned to passengers in nearly-new condition (better, probably, than they were before because the tailors replaced missing buttons, repaired malfunctioning zippers, tightened up fraying seams, weaved closed holes, etc.).

The ONLY time I ever saw HAL not "make it right" was when a particular fellow had been smuggling aboard a couple bottles of scotch in his luggage. His clothing was ruined not by sea water but by the scotch bottles breaking, the scotch mixing with the sea water, and together the mixture staining all the clothing reddish brown; at the same time the broken, jagged edges of glass (the remains of the broken bottles) ripped gaping holes in shirts and jackets. According to the HM, since the damage was done by contraband liquor being smuggled aboard and not just by the dock hands dropping the bag into the bay, HAL would not replace/repair those items so damaged. The man was LIVID, but that's the price he paid for trying to save a few cents on drinks.

In short, while it's not HAL's fault, HAL does all that they can (within reason) to "make things right."

Certainly the Teamsters Union isn't sending wine to their stateroom anytime soon:) .

LOL ... nope.

I wonder ... maybe thats where Jimmy Hoffa went??? Overboard in somebody's luggage???? :) ;) :eek:

Grumble Grumble ... sorry, folks ... I should really learn to read the whole thread before replying. That way I would have known that the problem had been solved and that the thread had gone to the dogs. Which, by the way, I started way back on an earlier page by posting a picture of my sweet Dorcas.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I just read the string of posts on the luggage in the harbor and I can't believe that anyone would even suggest that HAL is not responsible because they paid a third party contractor to handle the luggage. I am an attorney and I can tell you that they were 100% liable. Frankly, I would expect a lot more than a few free drinks for the trouble and aggravation. If my clothes were dropped in Boston Harbor, free drycleaning and a few drinks would not have gotten HAL off the hook. Harbormaster I commend you being such a good sport.

MarciAnn,

What is it that you would be claiming are your damages in such a situation? The gentleman involved lost one silk tie and a red handkerchef. All his other possessions were cleaned/restored to his full satisfaction. He was absolutely impressed and content with all HAL did in handling of the situation.

Isn't that all that matters? HAL made this guest happy. He made it very clear he was satisfied. Why are there people who are not? It didn't happen to you. It happened to him and he felt HAL handled it to his satisfaction. Why isn't that good enough for you? He feels he came out of the situation 'whole'.

Should someone be unduly enriched and grab the situation to 'make a buck'? Isn't the point to be sure the injured person is made whole? Or is it another of what the heck...... a chance to sue a deep pocket?

What is it that you would be claiming are your damages in such a situation? The gentleman involved lost one silk tie and a red handkerchef. All his other possessions were cleaned/restored to his full satisfaction. He was absolutely impressed and content with all HAL did in handling of the situation.

In many of the cases I observed most passengers were calmed/mollified by HAL's assurance that everything that could be done aboard ship to clean/repair the contents of the bags would be done, and those things which could not be cleaned or repaired would be either replaced or replacement compensation given. Likewise, HAL has added to these assurances a generous onboard credit as their "we're sorry." I am not privy to what these credits amounted to (and, if I were, I would not be a liberty to say), but in all but a very few cases those impacted were quite appreciative.

In one case someone had some electronic gear in their bag (a camera and assorted related equipment). The camera was ruined, of course ...beyond repair ... and, so, HAL replaced it at the first port-of-call (I'm not sure how ... either from shore-side staff purchases -- it was in Cabo, so that seems likely -- or through air-shipping a purchased replacement to the port from the States). In another case a bunch of books were destroyed; those books couldn't be directly replaced from ship's stocks (they were not run-of-the-mill paperback book titles that the ship also carried), but compensation for their loss was granted.

In short, those impacted by such events are almost always "made whole" to the best ability of the ship's staff, and a "we're sorry" compensation is offered (in-part to help calm such passengers down at the beginning of the cruise while their things are being processed, and in-part as a true expression of regret by the Line ... HAL doesn't want their passengers to begin their cruise with a disaster, like this, and wants to try and off-set it in a way that will help replace the bad taste in the passengers' mouth as the cruise moves forward).

The guy that owned the suitecase took this pretty good. He was satisfied with the way it was handled.

I cannot agree that Hal is not responsible.

I am in agreement with the others that Hal is responsible. Hal contracts with the longshoreman, so it is Hal's responsiblity to handle problems.

We met this gentleman. It is true his suitcase went into Boston Harbor.

But, HAL is NOT responsible.

HAL cannot touch any freight, any baggage that is loaded from the dock to the ship in any U.S. port. It is handled exclusively by members of Teamsters Union who have VERY strict rules as to at what point HAL workers can so much as put a hand on anything being loaded.

MarciAnn,

Isn't that all that matters? HAL made this guest happy. He made it very clear he was satisfied. Why are there people who are not? It didn't happen to you. It happened to him and he felt HAL handled it to his satisfaction. Why isn't that good enough for you? He feels he came out of the situation 'whole'.

Should someone be unduly enriched and grab the situation to 'make a buck'? Isn't the point to be sure the injured person is made whole? Or is it another of what the heck...... a chance to sue a deep pocket?

She's an attorney! :rolleyes:

Bostom: both times I sailed NCL I had to swipe my card as I entered the main dining room. I always assumed this was so that they could get a tab going if I ordered a cocktail- but that can't be the reason, as you have to offer your card again if you purchase anything. After all I have read I'm now sure it's for virus-tracking purposes. Maybe asking for the cabin # is the same type of thing. They like to know where we are eating and when!

I already posted this on another board but received no comments so am reposting. Some CC explained that tips were divided pro rata among the persons who served at meals . So requesting the stateroom number would permit knowing who had been served in the dining room at lunchtime. I noticed that often the maitre d' would even suggest a table.

On shore days it would be easy to check who had left the ship and thereby apportion tips. It is also easy to check who ordered room service. It is probably surmised that those pax who do not eat lunch or breakfast in the dining room or order room service or are not on board most likely ate at the Lido. Could this be an explanation for requesting cabin number?

I already posted this on another board but received no comments so am reposting. Some CC explained that tips were divided pro rata among the persons who served at meals . So requesting the stateroom number would permit knowing who had been served in the dining room at lunchtime. I noticed that often the maitre d' would even suggest a table.

On shore days it would be easy to check who had left the ship and thereby apportion tips. It is also easy to check who ordered room service. It is probably surmised that those pax who do not eat lunch or breakfast in the dining room or order room service or are not on board most likely ate at the Lido. Could this be an explanation for requesting cabin number?

All that would be needed to apportion tips would be a simple nose-count at the d.r., PG, and room service (with the rest assumed going to the Lido, on shore, or fasting) and still see no need for the cabin number for only that purpose. Something more has to be going on here. :confused:

The reason HAL staff started asking for guest cabin numbers at onboard restaurants and at certain sittings has to deal with an ongoing study/survey. HAL is looking at changes/additions to future food service onboard ships. (answers as to who eats what, where, when, demographics/background, etc. of those pax helps that study) No, didn't pull that out of a hat - got it from someone who knows.

I wonder why they ask cabin number as well. A simple head count serves the purpose of apportioning tips if that is the reason.

They were asking for cabin numbers on the Noordam too and entering it into a database. Perhaps the reason why some people are not asked is because they and their cabin numbers are known.

Anyway, we were told it was for tracking when and where passengers are dining. Given the musical chair game that occured on this sailing as it relates to dining, it was obvious they were really striving to figure out a pattern to where and when people were going to show up for dinner.

Someone, somewhere wants something more than a piece of paper with a headcount. I infered that someone, somewhere was linking dining preference and timing to cabin revenue.

It might be interesting to see the results across multiple sailings, in a season, to determine if there is a link between cabin catagory and when and where the passengers are most likely to dine, especially on a ship with 5 choices for dinner.

The reason HAL staff started asking for guest cabin numbers at onboard restaurants and at certain sittings has to deal with an ongoing study/survey. HAL is looking at changes/additions to future food service onboard ships. (answers as to who eats what, where, when, demographics/background, etc. of those pax helps that study) No, didn't pull that out of a hat - got it from someone who knows.

I was taking my sweet time and did not see this until I had posted. I think we are saying the same thing. I am thinking demographics/background = cabin revenue.

I was taking my sweet time and did not see this until I had posted. I think we are saying the same thing. I am thinking demographics/background = cabin revenue.

Okay.......I'm dense.

The only revenue derived from dining is Pinnacle Grille.

What's the difference if a suite guest or an inside cabin guest is having lunch in the dining room? Neither provides additional revenue. I freely admit I do not understand what you are saying.

Another way of putting this is they are trying to see how many meals a day is one person eating:D Also because they do have the alternate dining venue for breakfast for Suite Passengers they do remind them they can go to the Pinnacle or Kings or Queens Room which ever the ship is using.

I think they are trying to figure out if it's even worth it to keep the dining room open for lunch. When we were on Westerdam in Alaska the DR was only open on at-sea days, and then for 90 minuutes, but they've always had short lunch times in the DR.

GN

They're building demographic data regarding crew and resource deployment relative to the best-allocation of their resources for serving passengers at the various meals. I have asked about the taking of names and cabin numbers, and invariably it has to do with trying to track who is eating where so that they can generate a snapshot of eating patterns aboard the ship; after 2 or 3 days they can have a better idea of where to deploy staff and food resources for more efficient service. It probably cuts down on waste ... while not doing a thing to help our waists. :D

Okay.......I'm dense.

The only revenue derived from dining is Pinnacle Grille.

What's the difference if a suite guest or an inside cabin guest is having lunch in the dining room? Neither provides additional revenue. I freely admit I do not understand what you are saying.

You are almost there, just turn it around to the cost side.

The cost of an inside/outside cabin has remained relatively stable for the past decade due to competitive pressures. And this has occured despite that the cost of almost everything has increased in the same time frame. Is it also possible that those who sail in the least expensive cabins tend to spend the least onboard? And while they may represent the majority of passengers, they may not represent the majority of revenue.

Let's assume it costs HAL more to serve breakfast and lunch in the dining room than it does in the LIDO. When you know which cabins have a greater tendency, over time, to have breakfast and/or lunch in the dining room, you can determine if it makes financial sense to continue the service or not. If, for example, and I am only speculating here, that you realized that those who sail in the least expensive cabins have a greater tendency to dine in the most costly to operate breakfast/lunch venue, you might make a more informed decision about potential changes to dining room service.

When one is selling inside cabins for a week in Alaska or the Caribbean for $65 per passenger, per night, something has to give.

I never thought I would say it but perhaps Cunard has a better way of handling the situation with different dining venues available dependent upon the class of cabin purchased as opposed to the great dining democracy that exists on most cruise lines.

Those in suites pay multiples of the inside/outside cabins and deserve better. It's the almost fixed pricing at the bottom of the cabin tier that pull the financial strings of most mass marketed cruise lines. And I say this as someone who has sailed in the cheap seats more often than not.

A couple of years ago an entire cage of luggage was dumped into the water as it was being loaded onto the Oosterdam in San Diego. (The NEXT Saturday and ever since, there is a net stretched from ship to the dock.) I do understand that divers retrieved luggage, then HAL laundered/cleaned all contents, doctors met with Pax to make sure any packed medications were replaced, etc. I don't know who was the liable party, but HAL did respond to those whose bags were in the water--this incident was reported on these boards, as I recall.

A couple of years ago an entire cage of luggage was dumped into the water as it was being loaded onto the Oosterdam in San Diego. (The NEXT Saturday and ever since, there is a net stretched from ship to the dock.) I do understand that divers retrieved luggage, then HAL laundered/cleaned all contents, doctors met with Pax to make sure any packed medications were replaced, etc. I don't know who was the liable party, but HAL did respond to those whose bags were in the water--this incident was reported on these boards, as I recall.

Those nets are usualy applied for the loading & unloading process. Wonder why they weren't there in Boston on Maasdam? Hey, wait a minute..........maybe they were using them as a patch job for the pipes?:rolleyes:

We had a CC lunch in the dining room on the Noordam the last day at sea back in February. We all walked in together, were about 12 people, and we weren't asked what cabins we were in. We hadn't reserved a table in advance. is this something new?

Archived