overnight in cairo, is it worth the price princess is charging???

momoforthodoc

i'm taking my second cruise to egypt in nov. 08 onboard the grand princess and i've started looking at the excursions they have for the 07 sailings. i just came off the ncl jewel in may, did a similar cruise and overnight in cairo with ncl which was about 50% less then what princess is charging for pretty much the exact same thing. am i missing something:confused: please tell me if princess is offering something so wonderful that i should consider them rather then a private tour at half the cost for the same itinerary and hotels.

jeralyn ;)

We are doing the November '07 cruise and have a private tour of Cairo and the pyramids booked, just like the CC group did last year. $210 for the overnite with a hotel within view of the pyramids. In fact, we are all paying a small extra charge for rooms with an actual view of the pyramids.

You might have a look at post number 454 on our roll call thread that tells of our itineary. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360036&page=4

I am sure you will also have a group on CC doing this cruise, you might consider doing the same thing and getting a private tour to do the same as the Princess tour, but for a whole lot less.

We all felt that Princess price was way over the top for this tour also.

thanks for your quick response and opinion. our roll call just really began for the nov. 08 cruise and i'm already trying to organize a private tour, at least get some interest going. honestly think it's outrageous what princess is asking for this and i feel sorry for the people who don't know any better and pay those prices. i've contacted nile blue and also decastro. the later came very highly recommended by cc friends on the jewel who used them and couldn't say enough about them.

enjoy your cruise and tour!

glad i'm not the only one who thinks princess is overcharging.

jeralyn ;)

Our private tour is staying at the 'Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel' which is included with the $210 price we are paying for the complete tour, as they did last year. Most of us will be paying an extra $35 per couple for rooms with a view of the pyramids.

Not sure which hotel Princess uses for this excursion though, sorry!

don't have any idea which hotel princess books but it's not worth what they charge. i stayed at the conrad in may with ncl another 5 star hotel with a view of the nile and paid half as much with the full tour. i was quoted a lot less with decastro for the two day tour, an overnight at the le meridien and only $20 more for a pyramid view room. so far with only two of us it's 310 pp and will go down as more people join the tour. i ate at the mena hotel and honestly, the food we had at the conrad was far superior, only my opinion.

jeralyn ;)

Which hotel is Princess contracting? If it's the Mena House, $120 is a steal for pyramid-view room.

According to a friend who did the Cairo Overnight - and he was very specific that it wasn't the GRAND Cairo Overnight - so that might be a key point.

As of last November Princess was using the Conrad Cairo Hotel but was offering a buffet dinner at one of the banquet rooms at the Mena House Oberoi.

Hi Toto!

Archived