New Binocular Thread

qiangf2

I am starting this new thread so people can ask/answer binoculars related tech questions and share knowledges.

Let's censor ourselves by following the simple ground rules:

1. Strictly follow CC's forum policy

2. Technical talk only, no vendor bashing

3. We agree we sometimes disagree. But we do that with respect: No name calling is allowed.

Have fun!

I am starting this new thread so people can ask/answer binoculars related tech questions and share knowledges.

3. We agree we sometimes disagree. But we do that with respect: No name calling is allowed.

Have fun!

Thank you Dave, I agree.

Relatively new this time around. (Posted several years ago for a while.) Hope I'm not violating protocal.

Try epinions.com for rating binocs. You can run side-by side comparisons, with evaluations, vendors and pricing.

Remember also that stability on a moving platform is an issue. (i.e.- ship or train) The more the magnification, the more the image will "bounce". (Pulse and breathing alone with 7x50's can cause the "bounce".)

For birding, Alaska cruising or watching the world go by, the image stabilizing binocs are where I would (and did) put my money. "AA" battery powered and quick and easy to use.

For daytime whale watching/ eagle watching marine use how do you think thesewould work for a person with glasses? They are $95.

Description A lighter, more compact marine roof prism binocular that still delivers the bright image, Bushnell Marine 7x50 Binoculars 285071 belong to famous Bushnell Marine Binoculars series. Magnifying life does, indeed, include sea life. And these are just the binoculars to do it. Bushnell 7x50 Marine Waterproof Binoculars are a premier choice for spotting marinas, deadheads or the fisherman's best friend, feeding birds. Built to withstand rugged nautical conditions, Bushnell Marine Binoculars are nitrogen-purged to provide reliable waterproof / fogproof performance. The Bushnell Marine Binoculars are even hermetically sealed to further assure that no moisture creeps in. Impressive light transmission from BaK-4 prisms, fully multi-coated optics and large UV-coated objective lenses brighten images from dusk to dawn. And, all Bushnell Marine Waterproof Binoculars not only float, but easy-grip rubber armoring protects and provides a secure hold should things get rough.

Always nice, should an unexpected swell or throttle burst take you by surprise.

Specifications of Bushnell Marine 7 x 50 Binoculars 28-5071:

Bushnell Marine 7x50 Binoculars 28-5071

Power x Obj. 7x50

Size Class Standard

Focus System Center

Prism System Roof

Prism Class BaK-4

Lens Coating FMC

FOV, ft.@1000yds. / m@1000m 348/116

Close Focus, ft./m 13/4

Exit Pupil, mm 7.1

Eye Relief 17.5

Eyecups Twist-Up

Weight, oz./g 28/800

Water/Fog Proof Yes

Adapt to Tripod Yes

Features of Bushnell Marine 7 x 50mm Binoculars 285071:

BaK-4 roof prisms for bright, clear, crisp viewing

Fulli multi-coated optics for superior light transmission and brightness

Rugged, 100% waterproof construction

O-ring sealed and nitrogen-purged to keep out moisture

Highly resistant to saltwater corrosion

Non-slip, non-skid rubber armor cushions bumps and shock, prevents sliding, and provides a firm grip when wet

For daytime whale watching/ eagle watching marine use how do you think thesewould work for a person with glasses? They are $95.

Eye Relief 17.5

Weight, oz./g 28/800

cruise-a-lot, have you got a chance to use your other binocular? I don't have hands on experience with this model. But 17.5mm eye relief is very generous for eye glass viewers.

I am really surprised to see that a 50mm binoculars weighs only 28oz. Bushnell's own website lists it as 35oz. You probably want to confirm it first.

• Administrators

Have fun!

Thanks, Dave. However, *our* rules also apply as well, so I'll clarify for everyone:

If we are able to determine that a COMPANY or COMPANY'S EMPLOYEES or their DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE (ie someone they've ASKED to post on their behalf) are posting DISINGENOUSLY about their product on our boards, we WILL CENSOR THAT COMPANY'S NAME from appearing on our forums -- permanently.

This is in our guidelines; but I'm restating them clearly here just in case someone "forgot" or "didn't know" (which is another way of stating I'm giving folks FAIR WARNING).

LauraS

Dave, you are right, I have found two websites that show them as 28oz and two others that show them as 35oz. I will have to go to store and check them out to see what they actually weigh. I have not got to use the other ones yet because it is always cloudy in Texas these days. Weirdddddddddd weather here, nothing but rain and temps in the 80's and low 90's. We are usually up to over 100's well over a month ago. They are going to have to change our state flower to "mold":) Thanks

Thanks, Dave. However, *our* rules also apply as well, so I'll clarify for everyone:

If we are able to determine that a COMPANY or COMPANY'S EMPLOYEES or their DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVE (ie someone they've ASKED to post on their behalf) are posting DISINGENOUSLY about their product on our boards, we WILL CENSOR THAT COMPANY'S NAME from appearing on our forums -- permanently.

This is in our guidelines; but I'm restating them clearly here just in case someone "forgot" or "didn't know" (which is another way of stating I'm giving folks FAIR WARNING).

LauraS

Laura, thanks a lot for reiterating those guidelines. Without it, this great forum will only turn into either battlefield or classified.

Dave, you are right, I have found two websites that show them as 28oz and two others that show them as 35oz. I will have to go to store and check them out to see what they actually weigh. I have not got to use the other ones yet because it is always cloudy in Texas these days. Weirdddddddddd weather here, nothing but rain and temps in the 80's and low 90's. We are usually up to over 100's well over a month ago. They are going to have to change our state flower to "mold":) Thanks

cruise-a-lot, sorry to hear the bad weather there. But Texas got her fair share of dry weather last year (maybe too dry) :). I was wondering what you will be looking for at 90x in the dark sky. You know the field of view will be less than 1 degree at 90x. I am only one foot into amateur star gazing under the mentoring of my friends. They use 7x to 20x binoculars to view the galaxies. Going beyond that, they will switch to 4 inch or 6inch telescope instead.

O.K. this is my opinion and only my opinion! I had purchased the Nikon Monarch 10x42 about a week ago for my upcoming Alaska trip. I had made this decision after doing much homework and recieveing wonderful advise on this board. My decision also was determined that I could actually try the Nikon Monarch's in person at a local retailer, where I was unable to actually test the Zen-Ray Summit 10 x 42, which is one that I was seriously considering.

Now, I am very happy with my decision. However, today I did have the opportunity to actually test the Zen-Ray Summit 10 x 42 in person against my Nikon Monarch 10 x 42. I have to honestly say they were both a wonderful pair of binoculars and I could honestly not tell the difference. The Zen-Ray was about 2 oz. heavier bit I could not tell the difference.

I paid $300 for my Nikon's and Zen-Ray runs about $160. So, if you want a great binocular but cannot afford the Nikon then the Zen-Ray would be a pair I would consider.

Again, I am happy with my decision but if I was to purchase another pair of binoculars with those specs, then I would purchase the Zen-Ray.:)

O.K. this is my opinion and only my opinion! I had purchased the Nikon Monarch 10x42 about a week ago for my upcoming Alaska trip. I had made this decision after doing much homework and recieveing wonderful advise on this board. My decision also was determined that I could actually try the Nikon Monarch's in person at a local retailer, where I was unable to actually test the Zen-Ray Summit 10 x 42, which is one that I was seriously considering.

Now, I am very happy with my decision. However, today I did have the opportunity to actually test the Zen-Ray Summit 10 x 42 in person against my Nikon Monarch 10 x 42. I have to honestly say they were both a wonderful pair of binoculars and I could honestly not tell the difference. The Zen-Ray was about 2 oz. heavier bit I could not tell the difference.

I paid $300 for my Nikon's and Zen-Ray runs about $160. So, if you want a great binocular but cannot afford the Nikon then the Zen-Ray would be a pair I would consider.

Again, I am happy with my decision but if I was to purchase another pair of binoculars with those specs, then I would purchase the Zen-Ray.:)

WOW thanks for the review. Glad I purchased our Zen-Ray's when I did.:)

I really wanted a 10x binocular for Alaska. I cruised there 10 years ago and I remember wishing my 8x binos had more 'reach'. I got the Zen-rays and I'm quite happy with them. I also wanted waterproof, and bright clear optics for the overcast/drizzly conditions I may face in AK.

The very best way to select a pair of binoculars is by holding them, hanging them abound your neck, taking them in and out of the case and most importantly, looking through them. Many people will find that inexpensive, lightweight compacts like the Nikon Travelite V and its equivilents are great for their needs. Others will want better optics, larger FOV and higher magnification. The point is that there is no one perfect set of binoculars for everyone, but there is a set just for you and your pocketbook.

Here are links to two web sites that have informative revews of a wide range of binoculars and some good basic information on their construction and operation.

http://www.binoculars.org/birding/Reviews/Index.html

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

In my book, a great set of binoculars are not defined by cost or name. Rather, they are the set that you use and enjoy the most.

What about polarising binoculars? I am thinking about the water reflecting or the snow - any advantage to polar....? or disadvantages?

interesting question! Here are my thoughts:

(1) Do keep in mind that polarizer will cut your brightness by half. It means, if optical quality stays the same, you need a 10x59mm binocular with polarizer to match the same brightness of 10x42mm without polarizer.

(2) Check whether they use circular polarizer or linear polarizer. Also, if the polarizer cannot rotate or adjust , it is close to uselessness. (if you are photographer, you will know what I am talking about)

(3) A medium quality polarizer for camera lens will cost $30-$50 a piece. If the binocular with polarizer you are looking at costs the same amount, you need to question its quality.

Overall, my biggest concern is the brightness.

FYI -unlike CalMom & Minybear I ordered and recieved a pair of Zen-Rays that were of poor optical quality and returned them. They were not a wonderful pair of binoculars and did not hold up against my $80 Pentax UCF compacts.

Calmom, it seems that you just cannot wait to do that comparison with Minybear during your cruise. I like your Get-it-done attitute, which explains why you drove yourself "crazy" over binocular and digital cameras. :D;) I never regret my decision over my Nikon Monarch either. It is a fine piece of equipment.

The point is that there is no one perfect set of binoculars for everyone, but there is a set just for you and your pocketbook.

ditto that! couldn't agree more.

What about polarising binoculars? I am thinking about the water reflecting or the snow - any advantage to polar....? or disadvantages?

ciara, prompted by your question, I took my binoculars out and played with it. I wish those manufacturers could accessarize the binocular with different filter lenses, just like what camera makers are doing. So, you can attach a CPL to your binoculars if needed.

But overall, I think the disadvantage of polarizer far exceeds its advantage. If I were you, I would just get the best binoculars within my budget, instead diverting it for the unnecessary features. In terms of priority when shopping for binoculars, here is a simple list: brightness, sharpness(resolution), FOV, magnification power, color fidelity. Of course, price is also one very important factor as well. Some of those items are mutually exclusive. Sometimes, you have to make a compromised decision.

-------------

cruise-a-lot, I borrowed my friends 45x spotting scope last night and set it up to observe the crescent Venus. Our tripod is not heavy duty rated. At 45x, we could feel the image was shaking like crazy even with a slight breeze. If we touched the scope, we were dazzled by those startrails. When Texas sky clears out, you probably will get the most enjoyment from 10x of your bino, than from 90x. wanna bet? :) ;) It is truly mesmerizing to see those stars which are too faint to be seen by naked eyes.

How does eye relief relate to glasses? Does it matter whether you are near or far sighted? What is a good number to look for. I just got contacts so I wouldn't have to deal w. my glasses for binocs or camera but didn't realize I couldn't read the settings on my camera w/o my bifocals!!!

anyone know where to pick up used binoculars, other than eBay? I've looked on eBay for both the Nikon Monarch and Zen-Ray Summit, can't find anything used. I'm thinking price-wise, it would be more economical to buy used ones as we haven't needed them up to now in our lives and after this trip may not need them again! Does cruise critic have a member trading/buying/selling area? That would be such a great thing for items we each only need to use a few times! I also checked craigslist in my area, and found neither of the above listed binoculars. There are 5 of us going on our trip and while I don't plan to buy 5 pairs, I did want to get 2-3 pairs for us to share.

I thought maybe someone would know of a camera or binoculars site that does classified sales.

How does eye relief relate to glasses? Does it matter whether you are near or far sighted? What is a good number to look for. I just got contacts so I wouldn't have to deal w. my glasses for binocs or camera but didn't realize I couldn't read the settings on my camera w/o my bifocals!!!

eye relief is the optimal viewing distance between the ocular lens(the one closer to your eyes) and your eyes. For glasses wearers, you need at least 11mm eye relief to use binocular without taking glasses off. It does not matter whether you are near or far sighted.

If eye relief is too short, you have to push your eyes against the ocular lens, which makes the lens surface easier to fog up. If you wear glasses, you won't be able to see full FOV with your glasses on. For most of high quality binocular, you will see twist-up(or pull-up) eyecups. They should be twisted up for non glasses wearers, and pushed down for people wearing glasses.

Romath - Optics, particulary quality items tend to hold their value and thus not show up on ebay as often as other items. If I were you, I'd try to borrow some from friends. If not, then I'd go down to a nearby store and buy 2 or 3 pairs... maybe a 10x50 and a good 8x compact or two. The compacts would be more likley to get use down the road at ballgames, the zoo, etc.

anyone know where to pick up used binoculars, other than eBay? I've looked on eBay for both the Nikon Monarch and Zen-Ray Summit, can't find anything used. I'm thinking price-wise, it would be more economical to buy used ones as we haven't needed them up to now in our lives and after this trip may not need them again! Does cruise critic have a member trading/buying/selling area? That would be such a great thing for items we each only need to use a few times! I also checked craigslist in my area, and found neither of the above listed binoculars. There are 5 of us going on our trip and while I don't plan to buy 5 pairs, I did want to get 2-3 pairs for us to share.

I thought maybe someone would know of a camera or binoculars site that does classified sales.

Try Craigs List in your city.

thanks, qiangf2-I finally understand why I'm constantly pressing my old binocs against my glasses. Since their so old I can't find out what the eye relief is. I'm taking a run to a camping or bird store tomorrow.Leaving on Monday!!!

Archived