Docking-St.Thomas

jamon

and it is definately more difficult to maneuver around C.A. Havensight helped the problem of too many people trying to croud downtown but they can't handle all the ships that dock there. The government could limit the number of ships until the new pier was ready but no, they managed to open it with no services and crappy Diamonds International the first store there. It should have been Caron, Riise, Cardow, Dynasty and other local shops but since Princess gets a kick back from DI they got there first.

I stand by my earlier post and Sackman can moan about the regulars being cry babies. How many times has he been there?

I bet if he isn't a shill for Princess he probably likes their coffee.

and it is definately more difficult to maneuver around C.A. Havensight helped the problem of too many people trying to croud downtown but they can't handle all the ships that dock there. The government could limit the number of ships until the new pier was ready but no, they managed to open it with no services and crappy Diamonds International the first store there. It should have been Caron, Riise, Cardow, Dynasty and other local shops but since Princess gets a kick back from DI they got there first.

I stand by my earlier post and Sackman can moan about the regulars being cry babies. How many times has he been there?

I bet if he isn't a shill for Princess he probably likes their coffee.

Amen!!

As a matter of fact, when we were there last February, the shop owners we spoke with at Havensight said all the stores currently open (which was 3 I believe) were financed through Princess. They said none of the 'local' shops will open a store at Crown Bay because the rent is too high and there isn't enough ships with only Princess ships docking there, maybe 3 a week. So when people wondered why by DW said we informed Princess of the issues when we stopped at this port, it's because the dock is a Princess dock at this point in time!

It was funny becasue the day we were there, the Carnival ships were at Havensight!:rolleyes:

While I am not sackman, here is my response.

Since Havensite has actually been like it is now I have been on ships that docked there 4 or 5 times.

For Crown Bay, I have docked there 2 times (each time while they were still building the shops)

While I understand the convience of Havensite, not having the same facilities at Crown Bay has no bearing my decision of sailing Princess or not.

And before you ask, I am not a shill for Princess, and I do not drink coffee, so can not comment on its quality of lack of quality onboard a Princess ship.

I don't drink coffee and I've never been to Crown's bay. I've been to Havensight 5 times and frankly, I'm looking forward to something different when we go in November. I'm not a shill for Princess, either. I just view many of the posts in this thread as being childish. These are the same folks who I envision sending back two eggs when they "specifically asked for ONE egg" (I've actually seen that happen).

How in the world is Princess supposed to control what shops go in at Crown's Bay? Did they have any control over the shops at Havensight? Do they have any control over the shops at any of the ports they visit? Why should Crown's Bay be any different? To suggest otherwise shows a very basic lack of knowledge of how capitalism works. First the ship goes in, then the shops show up. It's worked that way forever and this is no different.

Would you prefer to tender in to St. Thomas?

I don't drink coffee and I've never been to Crown's bay. I've been to Havensight 5 times and frankly, I'm looking forward to something different when we go in November. I'm not a shill for Princess, either. I just view many of the posts in this thread as being childish. These are the same folks who I envision sending back two eggs when they "specifically asked for ONE egg" (I've actually seen that happen).

How in the world is Princess supposed to control what shops go in at Crown's Bay? Did they have any control over the shops at Havensight? Do they have any control over the shops at any of the ports they visit? Why should Crown's Bay be any different? To suggest otherwise shows a very basic lack of knowledge of how capitalism works. First the ship goes in, then the shops show up. It's worked that way forever and this is no different.

Since you haven't been to Crown Bay, or talked to any of the local store owners, I understand why you don't understand the current situation.

As I stated before, the local store owners (multiple ones) told us the inner workings of Crown Bay. Afterall, I believe they should knkow as I'm sure they checked into opening a store to gain more business. Princess has supplied money for stroes to open since they signed the 10 year deal.

I'm gald you are looking forward to somethine new when you dock at Crown Bay. Try going somewhere beside town or Havensight. You will experience something new....an hour or more wait....that's different!!!:)

And yes, I would rather tender than dock at Crown Bay.

Since you haven't been to Crown Bay, or talked to any of the local store owners, I understand why you don't understand the current situation.

As I stated before, the local store owners (multiple ones) told us the inner workings of Crown Bay. Afterall, I believe they should know as I'm sure they checked into opening a store to gain more business. Princess has supplied money for stores to open since they signed the 10 year deal.

I'm gald you are looking forward to somethine new when you dock at Crown Bay. Try going somewhere beside town or Havensight. You will experience something new....an hour or more wait....that's different!!!:)

And yes, I would rather tender than dock at Crown Bay.

I enjoyed Crown Bay in October. I am not a shopper so the shops not being open did not phase me. I understand a few of the shops are open now but most still have not opened. We had a beautiful view of Water Island from our balcony. We took a taxi over to Magen's Bay for $9 per person each way. Magen's Bay was just spectacular and not too crowded in the morning. We left in the early afternoon when it started getting more crowded.

You can also take a ferry to Water Island from the Crown Bay Marina for about $5 each way. From where they drop you off on Water Island you can walk to Honeymoon Beach which is lovely and not at all crowded. Highly recommended.

DW and I docked at Crown Bay in Jan. Actually it was a very nice looking port,asthetically. It was very easy to get a cab into town, and to then find a safari bus for $2 to anywhere on the island. I also found it refreshing not to have 8 or 9 thousand people all at one pier at once.

AND BY THE WAY stop telling people about the ease of going to Water Island from Crown Bay. We want to keep it to ourselves next Jan.

Why, you ask? Don't you think cruiselines want to hear how their passengers are treated is each of the ports it visits?

Do you think the captain's circle hostess made the decision

to change from havensite to crown bay? Do you think

she can reverse it?

Did you tell your cabin steward? Bar waiter?

You can also take a ferry to Water Island from the Crown Bay Marina for about $5 each way. From where they drop you off on Water Island you can walk to Honeymoon Beach which is lovely and not at all crowded. Highly recommended.

Princesspatches,

What is Water island like if you wouldn't mind sharing? Nice beach?? Did you just walk around and explore?

This is our first Princess cruise...i am already going into panic with all the "change" i'll be experiencing already but i just found this post on the Princess line docking at different pier:rolleyes: . I am not at all attached to docking there since this one actually sounds like it might be just as picturesque. AND i would rather know ahead of time so i can research things !

We have always done a st john's cruise sponsored tour to trunk bay. I've done the apradise point, dh & kids have been to Megan's bay so we were looking for something different.

Also i assume all water based excursions leave from this new pier??

Thanks

Crown Bay is a joke and the only ones laughing are Princess with 10 years of free docking

"taxi is only $4" multiply that both ways for 4 in a famiy and its not actually cheap

If Princess dock in out of the way crummy locations they should provide a free shuttle service into town

Taxis to and from town from Havensight are also $4 each way, so how is that an additional gripe?

Gripes about the lack of shopping is legit. Comparative complaints about taxi fares are not.

I am sure more shops will open in time, do you really think they are going to miss that kind of business opportunity?

From looking at a map, it appears that Crown Bay is actually closer to downtown than Havensight. I'm actually looking forward to the change of scenery and I'll probably just walk to town. I never really liked the shops at Havensight anyway and always thought that the port there was just a little too far to walk.

The distance walking into Charlotte Amalie is about the same (1 1/2 miles) from either Crown Bay or central Havensight which I measured from my tourist map of St. Thomas. I have walked both distances many times and time taken was very similar for both walks (about 30 minutes). Of course at Havensight it depends where your ship is docked as it is a very long pier (just over 1/2 mile) that can handle three mega ships.

Taxis to and from town from Havensight are also $4 each way, so how is that an additional gripe?

Gripes about the lack of shopping is legit. Comparative complaints about taxi fares are not.

The taxi association that has bought the exclusive rights to service the cruise piers load 16 or more paxs onto an open air platform taxi truck and charge them $4 each for a maybe a five minute ride if traffic is heavy. Now that is a rip off and a legit gripe about the taxi service from either pier. Do you pay $64 for a 5 minutes, 1 1/2 mile ride in a private taxi in NYC or LA. This isn't even a comfortable bus (which would be safer) at $4 a shot for a short ride.

I am sure more shops will open in time, do you really think they are going to miss that kind of business opportunity?

Because at Havensight, you don't have to go to town to shop, there are plenty of shops right at the pier, where you don't have to pay an overpriced taxi to get you there.

It's also about the hour or more wait to get a taxi to Sapphire Beach. You don't have that issue at Havensight because taxis aren't able to make the quick buck taking 15 people a couple miles at $4 a person.

The shop owners we talked to at Haven sight said they will NOT be opening a store at Crown Bay because it's only the Princess ship that will dock there. At 3 or fewer ships a week, it doesn't pay. So no, I don't think there will be the selection of stores offered as Havensight.

Princesspatches,

What is Water island like if you wouldn't mind sharing? Nice beach?? Did you just walk around and explore?

Thanks

kkpcruiser -

Go to www.********** and there is a bar across the top that lists the islands within the U.S. Virgin Islands. Click on Water Island and then click on "Getting there". It will give you more detailed information on ferry times.

You can walk from the ship to where the ferry picks you up at the Crown Bay Marina. The ferry ride was around 10 minutes and cost $5 each way with a slight discount for roundtrip tickets. From where they drop you off it was around a 10 minute walk to Honeymoon Beach. Water Island is residential and there is not much there. The beach had about two other people when we were there. It was very calm for swimming and surrounding by palm trees. Absolutely lovely. There was a restroom facility.

Are there any beaches that are in walking distance from this dock?

Lindbergh Bay is about 1 mile west of Crown Bay. Turn left at main road (Moravian Highway) instead of right if walking into Charlotte Amalie. Turn left (about 5/8 mile away) on Airport Rd which of course goes to the airport. Beach starts at Best Western Emerald Beach Resort which is on left and across from where the airport starts. I have been there and it is a nice beach.

The taxi association that has bought the exclusive rights to service the cruise piers load 16 or more paxs onto an open air platform taxi truck and charge them $4 each for a maybe a five minute ride if traffic is heavy. Now that is a rip off and a legit gripe about the taxi service from either pier. Do you pay $64 for a 5 minutes, 1 1/2 mile ride in a private taxi in NYC or LA. This isn't even a comfortable bus (which would be safer) at $4 a shot for a short ride.

This is an inconsequental arguement as it does not pertain to the matter at hand since the OP was not debating the fairness of taxi fares. However, I agree with you that it is a bit of a ripoff. But then again, when it was 90 degrees and humid, the prospect of walking from town to Havensight made it worth the $4.

Having been to Havensight, I am looking forward to seeing the Crown Pier and making my own opinion about the situation. We have gotten better shopping bargains in St. Maartin's so the stores are not that important to us.

What is the $ difference of going to Sapphire Beach from Havensight as opposed to from Crown Pier?

This time we have a large group (11) so we probably won't have a hard time getting a cab to the beach.

I also thought that HAL ships would be docking there soon. Any truth to that?

I remember docking in St. Thomas at Havensight when there was only about 20 stores there. I can't believe how big it has gotten, sure it has been nice to be able to pick up those last few things when getting back to the ship, and for those that can't travel into town it offers another option for shopping.

However, I hated how busy it was when more than one ship was in. I always walked into town or took a taxi which charged per person (can't remember rate).

Ships have been docking at Crown bay for many years, In 2002 HAL was docking there when Havensight was full.

Crown will develop just like Havensight did, give it ten years. In the meantime I will still walk into town or take a taxi.

Having been to Havensight, I am looking forward to seeing the Crown Pier and making my own opinion about the situation. We have gotten better shopping bargains in St. Maartin's so the stores are not that important to us.

What is the $ difference of going to Sapphire Beach from Havensight as opposed to from Crown Pier?

This time we have a large group (11) so we probably won't have a hard time getting a cab to the beach.

I also thought that HAL ships would be docking there soon. Any truth to that?

I think the fares are $1 dollar different between Havensight and Crown Bay. For us, it wasn't about the 'extra' money, it was about the time. But with a group of 11, you shouldn't have any trouble because you'll fill up one of the 'taxis'.

The store owners at Havensight said the only shipsthat dock there are Princess, which is why they won't open a sister store to the one in Havensight.

I have heard there has been a few other ships that have docked there, but it's only been when Havensight is full and not on a regular schedule. In fact the day we were they last February, there were ships at Havensight that were tendering and we were the only ship at Crown Bay. :mad:

We were at Crown Bay in June and did not like it at all, we were the only ship in port. We took a taxi to Havensite for $5 pp. There are 50 to 75 stores at Havensite and more in the whole area. At most Crown Bay might have 10 total, definitely no comparison there.

I could see if they used Crown Bay as an overflow facility, but to dock there on a regular basis is certainly not for the convenience of the passengers!

Cheers,

Peter

Archived