Has anyone been stranded somewhere because they didn't have a passport?

Without a passport several people have said one would not be allowed to fly back to the states. Well I have not read the entire thread, but I find this rather incredulous. You mean one would have to actually stay and take residence in another country because they didn't have a passport to return home?

Some cruiselines keep your passport until you return to the states. Why would they do this?

If the ship is going to a country that requires every passport be examined when they go through customs, they will keep them. An example of this is Turkey on many of the Greek/Med Cruises. Turkey will require the ship to produce all Passports before anyone is allowed to disembark. Italy, Spain, Greece, do not have these requirements, and the ship will clear customs in these countries without producing the original documents. The requirements varies per country. Good reason to have a copy with you when you are travelling, in case you did have to go to an embassy/consulate.

Passport not required yet by the US for cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada or Alaska. Cruising to Europe? Must have passport NOW [actually for years] We [u.S.] may stick with 1/08 date or extend it again. But tomorrow or anytime, one of the countries in the Caribbean COULD decide to drop the passport waiver for cruise pax. They all require passports for all travelers except cruise pax. That could change, it almost did last year. In fact some island nations did drop the waiver, but relented. So US passport rules only apply to entering and leaving the US. Other countries have their OWN PASSPORT LAWS.

Dan

Without a passport several people have said one would not be allowed to fly back to the states. Well I have not read the entire thread, but I find this rather incredulous. You mean one would have to actually stay and take residence in another country because they didn't have a passport to return home?

No, you have to go to the US Embassy in that country and apply for a waiver.

Red Tape is hardly what you want to be wading thru with a sick kid. Or any ill family member. Just making emergency travel arrangements is plenty enough hassle.

Dan

The only post I saw about a couple missing the ship and being unable to catch up to the it indicated they did have passports but left them on the ship. That's a whole different thread. They also claimed that they had no way of knowing that ship time and local time were different, a point disputed by many.

There was one here about missing embarkation (Tampa, maybe?) and not having passports to fly to the first port to catch the ship. I can't find the link since the search feature keeps timing out tonight. Will try to find it and post.

You might want to purchase passports just for you and your spouse for now, then get ones for your children at a later date to save some money.

FYI: Passports for any minor under the age of 16 are only good for 6 years. Over the age of 16, the passports are good for 10 years. We learned this when we got passports for our kids 2 years ago. Our daughter was 14 at the time. Her siblings who were 18 and 20 at the time got 10 year renewals on theirs. Hers will expire in just 4 more years.

You'll need one eventually if you ever plan to leave the good old US of A, so you may as well bite the bullet and start ordering yours soon.

Having had a passport all my life (first one was me on my mothers knee), I have a problem with those that blame the 'procrastinators'. My friends, when this first came down years ago, had no reason to think they would need one. Had no reason to think they would ever leave the country. That has now changed, we are leaving the country and they have their passports. They did it just a few months ago, when the opportunity came up.

We don't all have crystal balls (like some do) to know that we will have the opportunity to travel more than we ever thought possible. Why would you buy something that you don't foresee using?

Get off your high horses.

Edit: this thread has not gone the way others have, and I don't mean to offend. Other threads just go on and on about all the 'procrastinators'. This is my reply to them. Wondering if they would be willing to share their 'crystal ball'?

In 1998, we were on the Monarch of the Seas (RCI). A passenger had a heart attack and the captain diverted to St Martin for passenger to get off. While backing out, he hit a coral reef and put a 60 ft gash in the ship and deck 2 took on water. He ran it on a sand bar to keep it from sinking. Now this was arund 2:00 in the morning. DH heard the horns to go to the muster stations. (I was sound asleep!) We had already laid out our clothes for our shore excursion and had our day bag packed with water, chapstick, altoids, etc. we had 2-3 minutes to get out as the stewards were opening the doors and getting us out. We grabbed DH wallet, our airline tickets and passports. We got to the deck and most people were either in jammies or Tuxes (it was formal night ). We had to abadon ship and we could not go back to our cabins unless it was for medicines. When we got ashore they put us in hotels (or shelters after the hotels were full ) We were in a shelter and didn't want to stay. Our shelter was out of town and had no communication with RCI. Since we had our wallets and other stuff, we left by cab and went straight to American Express travel. We were sent to a Radison by them !!! And we don't even have an AMEX! we enjoyed the day on the beach and did some sightseeing while everyone else waiting at the hotel were in the lobby waiting for something. We were told were would have a flight to Miami at 10:30pm. We got there and our luggage (and everyone elses) was arriving. They were sorting it by deck but some passengers were not patient. They were trying to get on the truck to get their own stuff. This slowed down the prcess and tempers were getting short. DH asked if there was anything I couldn't live without in the luggage. I said no and we were on the plane in 15 minutes because we didn't wait around. They had 19- 747s lined up n the tarmac. One would fill with US citizens and left to Miami. One would fill with non citizens and went to San Juan. ON and on and On. When we landed in Miami, it was after midnight and the plane was full. They said if you have a passport you could get off. If you did not you had to wait for immigration to clear you. we were the only ones to get off! This was 1998! Passprts were not required but we are so glad we had them! I am so glad we prepare the night before for our excursions. I'm so glad that we have a day bag. And we will always have a passport. We were in our twenties at that time. So even younger people can think ahead!

FYI- We got a full refund for that cruise. Our sail and sign was credited fr all drink purchases. We got a free cruise AND they reimbursed us for any expenses related to the wreck. We had lunch in St Martin (eventhought the Radison was all inclusive- we went into to town to shop and sitesee. Also, it was December. We had on shorts and had to buy pants and jackets. The hotel they sent us to in Miami had a mall in it. I also had to buy makeup and hairspray. They gave us almost $400 in reimbursements!!! I will always praise RCI. This could have been aweful but our planning and RCI's help made it an adventure!!!

BOTTOM LINE_ GET THE PASSPORT!

In 1998, we were on the Monarch of the Seas (RCI). A passenger had a heart attack and the captain diverted to St Martin for passenger to get off. While backing out, he hit a coral reef and put a 60 ft gash in the ship and deck 2 took on water. He ran it on a sand bar to keep it from sinking. Now this was arund 2:00 in the morning. DH heard the horns to go to the muster stations. (I was sound asleep!) We had already laid out our clothes for our shore excursion and had our day bag packed with water, chapstick, altoids, etc. we had 2-3 minutes to get out as the stewards were opening the doors and getting us out. We grabbed DH wallet, our airline tickets and passports. We got to the deck and most people were either in jammies or Tuxes (it was formal night ). We had to abadon ship and we could not go back to our cabins unless it was for medicines. When we got ashore they put us in hotels (or shelters after the hotels were full ) We were in a shelter and didn't want to stay. Our shelter was out of town and had no communication with RCI. Since we had our wallets and other stuff, we left by cab and went straight to American Express travel. We were sent to a Radison by them !!! And we don't even have an AMEX! we enjoyed the day on the beach and did some sightseeing while everyone else waiting at the hotel were in the lobby waiting for something. We were told were would have a flight to Miami at 10:30pm. We got there and our luggage (and everyone elses) was arriving. They were sorting it by deck but some passengers were not patient. They were trying to get on the truck to get their own stuff. This slowed down the prcess and tempers were getting short. DH asked if there was anything I couldn't live without in the luggage. I said no and we were on the plane in 15 minutes because we didn't wait around. They had 19- 747s lined up n the tarmac. One would fill with US citizens and left to Miami. One would fill with non citizens and went to San Juan. ON and on and On. When we landed in Miami, it was after midnight and the plane was full. They said if you have a passport you could get off. If you did not you had to wait for immigration to clear you. we were the only ones to get off! This was 1998! Passprts were not required but we are so glad we had them! I am so glad we prepare the night before for our excursions. I'm so glad that we have a day bag. And we will always have a passport. We were in our twenties at that time. So even younger people can think ahead!

FYI- We got a full refund for that cruise. Our sail and sign was credited fr all drink purchases. We got a free cruise AND they reimbursed us for any expenses related to the wreck. We had lunch in St Martin (eventhought the Radison was all inclusive- we went into to town to shop and sitesee. Also, it was December. We had on shorts and had to buy pants and jackets. The hotel they sent us to in Miami had a mall in it. I also had to buy makeup and hairspray. They gave us almost $400 in reimbursements!!! I will always praise RCI. This could have been aweful but our planning and RCI's help made it an adventure!!!

BOTTOM LINE_ GET THE PASSPORT!

My husband and I were on the Princess cruise that came into St. Maarten later that morning. We heard what had happened to the ship, but I always wondered what happened with the rest of the passengers. If we would have been on your RCI ship we would have had our passports as well. It was my husbands first time out of the country since he was in the army (and a passport wasn't required for that.) Even though I had mine and he didn't have one, I insisted he get one for just this kind of emergency. So we would have been getting off that flight in Miami with you!

Passports are one of the best investments you can ever make.

For those who are travelling to a foreign country with children who do not have passports, please get your children a photo id card. Not only will you present the ID card with his/her birth certificate at check-in, but if something happens to the child while in port (gets lost, injured etc) at least the child will have some form of picture ID with them.

Adults travel, whether at home or abroad, with a photo ID (either passport or driver's license) has a matter of habit, but for some reason, we let children go around without any form of ID, even into foreign countries. It's just asking for trouble.

Please, if you refuse to get them passports, get your children some form of official ID with a photo. A birth certificate by itself tells nothing, because there is no way to match it to the child for whom it is supposed to belong.

Passports are one of the best investments you can ever make.

For those who are travelling to a foreign country with children who do not have passports, please get your children a photo id card. Not only will you present the ID card with his/her birth certificate at check-in, but if something happens to the child while in port (gets lost, injured etc) at least the child will have some form of picture ID with them.

Adults travel, whether at home or abroad, with a photo ID (either passport or driver's license) has a matter of habit, but for some reason, we let children go around without any form of ID, even into foreign countries. It's just asking for trouble.

Please, if you refuse to get them passports, get your children some form of official ID with a photo. A birth certificate by itself tells nothing, because there is no way to match it to the child for whom it is supposed to belong.

How can I get this, Is it like a State ID? I will like to get them one.

Just wanted to point out that a passport is useless 6 months BEFORE it expires. So it really only lasts 9.5 years.

That depends on where you are going. DW and I went to Ireland end of May and our passports expired August 15 (less than 90 days from our arrival date in Ireland). Sent in for renewals June 1 and got the new ones August 1 (I thought for sure we would have to use BCs for our cruise next month while waiting for our new passports).

I concur with Boatdrill, get the kids state issued ID cards. Most states will issue them at your local drivers license office. I have travelled often with children and teens for my job. The first thing I tell the parents is to make sure all children/teens have a state issued ID. School ID's really are worthless as a form of ID if a child should become lost,etc.

A practical reason, however, for getting passports now (or, at least, applying for them -- I realize the wait is substantial): it isn't going to get any cheaper.

When I first got a passport, almost 20 years ago, the total cost was $65. When I replaced it after it was lost on a trip, the passport alone cost $65. When I renewed it a few months ago, the renewal fee was $67, and the cost for a new one, with the mandatory 'execution' fee, is $97.

It's cheaper now than it's ever going to be again. If you think you'll ever need one, getting it today is going to be the best deal.

Well, if you follow Consumer Price Inflation, your $65 passport 20 years ago would have cost you $119.22 in today's dollars. So it actually cost more for a passport 20 years ago than it does now (assuming wage increases at a rate equal to that of inflation).

:D Once you take a cruise, the minute you get home you will begin to think about your next one. You will get hooked; I have been on 2 and have my 3rd booked. Get the passports for the entire family now!:cool:

I haven't even been on my first Cruise and already looking to book my second one as soon as I get back, only thing holding me back from booking is knowing if I would like the cabin im in, don't know if I will spend enough time in it to care what size it is. So as soon as I get back Im looking to book an Eastern Caribean cruise, Hope more friends of mine will be with me during that Cruise. Hey anyone let me know if cabin size's matter, im sure they do in a way, but would like to get opinions. Thanx.

I haven't even been on my first Cruise and already looking to book my second one as soon as I get back, only thing holding me back from booking is knowing if I would like the cabin im in, don't know if I will spend enough time in it to care what size it is. So as soon as I get back Im looking to book an Eastern Caribean cruise, Hope more friends of mine will be with me during that Cruise. Hey anyone let me know if cabin size's matter, im sure they do in a way, but would like to get opinions. Thanx.

You can usually leave a small deposit while on board for your next cruise, even if you don't know what it is exactly you want to do. They usually offer your great incentives.

I think thats pretty Cool, but to be honest I don't think I will have enough to leave a deposit, its my first cruise nad I think Im spending it all :p .

For the Europe cruises, the cruise is cheap, but everything else is a fortune! I'm glad I had 6 or 7 caribbean / mexico / alaskan cruises under my belt before I did this one, to know that cruising - escpecially if yu can travel somewhat off season can be a really inexpensive vacation! But I probably won't be able to afford to cruise for another 2 years after this one!

OK, I got into an argument with my MIL because I refuse to get passports for my family untill it is mandatory.

I bought trip insurance, so if there is a medical emergency, I'm covered monetarily. If there is a medical emergency, we will still be able to get home, it may take a little longer and may be more of a hassle but we will get home.

I book excursions through Carnival so I am guaranteed the ship will not leave without me.

I also make sure upon leaving the ship that my watch is on ship time and I know when I am required to be back on board.

I live one hour away from the port, so it's not like I have a flight to catch. If I was flying or arriving from out of town, I would arrive a day early.

We plan to cruise every other year, if I would have gotten passports for this cruise I basically would have wasted 3 years on our passports and for my DD who is 9 this would represent half of hers. I know it sounds silly, I have the money for the passports, but I want to make sure I get the most mileage out of my passport as possible when I do finally get one.

If Carnival says we can cruise with BC and picture ID then bygolly that's what I'm gonna do. I won't get bullied into purchasing something I don't NEED.

Archived