Packing List

robthens

Lost my master packing list. I'm trying to recreate it. Have I left anything out?

First Aid Kit:

Contact Lenses/ Glasses/ Contact Solution

Perscriptions

Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin

Salonpas pain relieving patches

Bonine/ Sea Sick Wrist Bands

Amodium AD / Azo Standard

Band-Aids

Cold Medications/ Eye Drops

Ace Bandage

Alcohol Swabs/Antibacterial Cream

Repellent

Hand Wipes/Anti-bacterial gel

Q-Tips

Air Borne

Personal products

Poolside:

Sun-block/ Suntan lotion

Swimsuits/ Cover-up/ Hat

Water shoes/sandals

Beach Bag

Cabin Items:

Nite Lite/ Flash Light

Febreeze

Clock

Hi-liter, Pen, Post-it Notes

Miscellaneous:

Passport/Birth Cert (copy) & ID

Travel Documents

Tour Books

Books to Read

DH Money Pouch

Credit Cards/ Bank ATM Cards (copy for kids)/ Cash

Ziplock Bags

Rain Ponchos/ Umbrellas

Camera/ Charger

Sewing Kit/ Scissors/ Safety Pins

Compass/ Binoculars

Luggage Locks

Cork Screw

Dirty Clothes Bag

Laundry

Detergent Tabs/ Dryer Sheets/ Clothes Pins (hang wet suits)

Hair

Shampoo/ Conditioner

Diffuser/ Hair Dryer

Hair Spray/ Mouse/ Shine

Comb/ Brush

Nails

Nail File/ Nail clippers/Polish

Toothbrush/ Toothpaste/ Mouthwash

Razor/ Shave Cream

Make-up

Make-up Remover

Make-up/Brushes

Eyeliner/ Eye Shadows/ Eye Brow Brush/ Mascara

Lipstick

Tweezers

Perfume

Creams/ Body Lotion

Mirror

Clothes:

Travel Clothing To & From

Casual, Smart Casual, Formal (# of Days)

Shoes (Formal & Casual)

Bras/ Undies/ Spanks

Socks

Jewelry

Tux/ Cumber buns/ Cuff Links

Your list looks pretty complete to me :)

I'd leave a few items behind, like tweezers, nail polish, highlighter pen, post it notes. I just like to do all that ahead of time and take as little paraphernalia as possible. I'd only take the laundry soap and dryer sheets if I was absolutely certain I'd be doing any laundry myself, we usually send it out. Although I do a bit of hand wash, I just use the shampoo from the shower for that.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see deodorant or antiperspirant listed. Extra glasses and sunglasses? Dental floss?

I don't take whole tour books, I just copy the pages I need, that saves a ton of weight.

Robthens, I see that you are quite the international traveler. I need to know how many suitcases (and sizes) you bring? I have only done cruises where I drive to my starting place where I am not limited by luggages weight, etc. In fact, my suitcase that I take is too big for airlines! But, now that I have booked a European trip, need to know how I am going to fit all that stuff in airline-legal suitcases.

Packing suggestions needed!!!!:p

Robthens, I see that you are quite the international traveler. I need to know how many suitcases (and sizes) you bring? I have only done cruises where I drive to my starting place where I am not limited by luggages weight, etc. In fact, my suitcase that I take is too big for airlines! But, now that I have booked a European trip, need to know how I am going to fit all that stuff in airline-legal suitcases.

Packing suggestions needed!!!!:p

IrisTattoo, each trip is a little different.

Our trip to China was 23 day. We were limited to 1 checked bag of 40 lbs & 1 carry-on of 20 lbs. We had 5 intra-China flights and the luggage was weighed. We did have two "dressy" evenings; however, DH wore a dark dress shirt/tie & I wore Chicos pants & light weight tops. Dress each day was casual & we planned in advance to wear things more than once.

Normally, we didn't change for dinner.

For the British Isle trip we stayed in Paris for a week and then took the train to London and met up with our Princess cruise. Because we were managing our luggage from Paris to London, we each took 1 large & 1 medium suite case. We did include the tux and the typical evening wear.

It seems the more we travel the less I pack. I still try to coordinate my clothes and I try to look nice. We do have a small hand held luggage scale that we use. We can check our luggage weight and avoid paying overages to the airlines.

Here are some tips:

1. Check the weather forecast on the cities you are going to and pack

Accordingly.

If you need a coat/jacket, wear or carry it on the plane.

2. Take an extra folding suite case in your luggage. We always bring

home more than we started with. Most International flights allow you

to check 2 50 LB bags plus 1 carry-on.

3. limit your shoes. My first cruise I took a suitcase of shoes, now I

take one pair of dressy evening sandals, 1 pair of walking sandals &

1 pair of New Balance. (plus water shoes is appro)

4. Consider the weight of the clothes you are taking.

Example: beaded tops weigh too much

5. On long trips, consider wearing things more than once. DH will wear a

shirt in the evening to dinner & then wear the same shirt the next day

when we are touring.

Our fall trip is a river cuisse, so it will be mostly casual.

Where are you planning to go? I'm excited for you! It is a wonderful experience.

Read as much about the area you are going to. Learn some of the language (please thank you, excuse me, etc) Find out about the local food and learn items on their menus.

I’ll try and think about more tips. :rolleyes: Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips. We are doing a 12 day European cruise (begins in Venice, ends in Barcelona). We will probably do a few days in Lake Como before the trip and a day or so after in Barcelona. I believe there will be 3 formal nights. I have checked the weather and sounds like it is basically highs in the 70's, low's in the 60's (with one port in low 80's). Don't think it is rainy season. Will pack a tiny umbrella and maybe a lightweight rain jacket. Have already ordered 1 formal that is a knit fabric that won't wrinkle to replace the big ball gown I already have. I have read to try to limit to 2 colors and an accent color. I am thinking black & khaki (pants, capris, shorts) and an accent color (red). I'll bring basically solid color tops that can go with anything. On our last 11 day cruise to Mexico, I probably changed 3 times a day. I had my morning outfit, my excursion outfit, and my evening outfit (with shoes & jewelry to match everything) We had 3 formal nights and I had a different one for each night. I am totally about the Photo-Op!!!!:p Don't think I wore the same thing twice. I am going to seriously have to change my way of thinking!!!!

And, DH, packed even more than I did!

IrisTattoo & Golfman

Mediterranean cruising is more about the ports than about your daily fashion.

Fashion in the evening is still important; at least it is to me & DH.

We have been on this itinerary (starting and stopping ports).

Most of these itineraries are "port intensive". You are up early, off the ship for a full day tour. Definitely no one will notice if you wear the same thing on more than one tour.

Venice is a wonderful city (my DH’s favorite). We have been twice and plan to go again. Beware; a cup of coffee will cost you between $15-$20 a cup in St. Mark’s square. We didn’t do that, but we ate at Harry’s Bar (Hemmingway’s hangout). I know why Hemmingway committed suicide………..he got his bill from Harry’s bar.:eek:

My advice is to bring a snack from the ship and save your money for your next cruise. LOL

We opt for late seating in order to optimize our port excursions.

You'll do well with a lot of black. Most Europeans wear BLACK. You can't go wrong.

I’d advising leaving the shorts at home. Many of the cathedrals will not let you enter in shorts or bare shoulders.

You really sound like you are on the right track and are doing your homework.

Please let me know if I can help!!!!!!

Robthens aka Jacque

Thanks for the tips. We are doing a 12 day European cruise (begins in Venice, ends in Barcelona). We will probably do a few days in Lake Como before the trip and a day or so after in Barcelona. I believe there will be 3 formal nights. I have checked the weather and sounds like it is basically highs in the 70's, low's in the 60's (with one port in low 80's). Don't think it is rainy season. Will pack a tiny umbrella and maybe a lightweight rain jacket. Have already ordered 1 formal that is a knit fabric that won't wrinkle to replace the big ball gown I already have. I have read to try to limit to 2 colors and an accent color. I am thinking black & khaki (pants, capris, shorts) and an accent color (red). I'll bring basically solid color tops that can go with anything. On our last 11 day cruise to Mexico, I probably changed 3 times a day. I had my morning outfit, my excursion outfit, and my evening outfit (with shoes & jewelry to match everything) We had 3 formal nights and I had a different one for each night. I am totally about the Photo-Op!!!!:p Don't think I wore the same thing twice. I am going to seriously have to change my way of thinking!!!!

And, DH, packed even more than I did!

Enjoy Europe!

Most Europeans are classy, yet simple in their fashion taste,

Taking 36 outfits on a vacation, most Europeans consider that hysterical, so relax.....

Your list looks pretty complete to me :)

I'd leave a few items behind, like tweezers, nail polish, highlighter pen, post it notes. I just like to do all that ahead of time and take as little paraphernalia as possible. I'd only take the laundry soap and dryer sheets if I was absolutely certain I'd be doing any laundry myself, we usually send it out. Although I do a bit of hand wash, I just use the shampoo from the shower for that.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see deodorant or antiperspirant listed. Extra glasses and sunglasses? Dental floss?

I don't take whole tour books, I just copy the pages I need, that saves a ton of weight.

I'm updating my list to include deodorant & floss.

I'm deleting nail polish, laundry items (shampoo will be fine if needed) & hair dryer (didn't take on last 4 trips anyway).

I'm leaving the highlighter & post-it notes because I use them for the daily schedule. That way we don't miss a wine tasting/bingo/napkin folding,etc. LOL

Re: tour books.....that really means tour/port information. I also get my info off the net or copy pages from tour books . Then as we use the info I trash them.

Thanks for the input!

I'm updating my list to include deodorant & floss.

I'm deleting nail polish, laundry items (shampoo will be fine if needed) & hair dryer (didn't take on last 4 trips anyway).

I'm leaving the highlighter & post-it notes because I use them for the daily schedule. That way we don't miss a wine tasting/bingo/napkin folding,etc. LOL

Re: tour books.....that really means tour/port information. I also get my info off the net or copy pages from tour books . Then as we use the info I trash them.

Thanks for the input!

Seriously, we did take the napkin folding class once :D ....I was a disaster.

I'd not want to miss a wine tasting either ;) , but I just use the pen they have in the desk drawer!

We take one of those plastic bottles that have their own "sleeve" with a soft freezer pack. That way when you get ice from your room attendant, you can freeze (sort of) the freezer pack. Then fill it with iced tea or whatever from the drink stations on board. You can take this up to your room or you can then take this up to the pool area and have a cool drink. However, if you are like us, we bring along dry whiskey sour mix and then pack a plastic bottle of whiskey. Yes, there are some unknown brands out there that sell whiskey in plastic bottles. We make our own whiskey sours and then take them to the pool. Cheaper than buying it on board. Oh, and yes, we do buy some drinks on board, like in the theatre when seeing a comedy show.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived