Seeking recommendations for Southampton hotel and also car service

Hopeful Henry

I would like to ask for recommendations for hotels in Southampton - I prefer upscale hotels such as Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons but, upper level chain hotels such as Marriott or Hyatt are fine too.

Also, I would like to ask for recommendations for car service/limousine service from Heathrow to Southampton.

Thank you!

Sorry, but the top of the lot is the Devere Grand, which honestly, is not that Grand and doesn't warrant the rates it gets.

Stay in London if it's the top-rated hotels you're looking for and take a car service down in the morning to meet your ship.

No advice about Southampton hotels, we stay in London. We've always been quite pleased with the Royal Garden Kensington and this past time we stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Mountbatten at the Seven Dials. Excellent location and wonderful staff. I'd recommend confirming that breakfast and VAT are included or they will not be when you get there.

For car service we always use Jeeves of Hampshire. Immaculately clean, non-smoking cars with very courteous and professional drivers. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Hope that helps!

Morrie

Missing the UK entirely on our next voyage and sad about it!

No advice about Southampton hotels, we stay in London. We've always been quite pleased with the Royal Garden Kensington and this past time we stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Mountbatten at the Seven Dials. Excellent location and wonderful staff. I'd recommend confirming that breakfast and VAT are included or they will not be when you get there.

For car service we always use Jeeves of Hampshire. Immaculately clean, non-smoking cars with very courteous and professional drivers. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Hope that helps!

Morrie

Missing the UK entirely on our next voyage and sad about it!

Okay,

I have to ask What is the Seven Dial. It just might help me make sense of the Stephen Stills (and Jimmy Buffett) song Tree top Flyin', and VATS of what?

<G>

And we still have to get together. But I'm headed for Maine next weekend, Marc's father is coming up from Florida (we hope) Sadly, we had booked him on a cruise with us last year, but he ended up canceling for health reasons.

It may well be the last time Marc gets to see him. Who knows?

Do B/C me. (parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com) As soon as i know I am taking a day off, maybe we can plan something.

Karie,

who has to figure out where WE are going for 4 days between crossings.

Okay,

I have to ask What is the Seven Dial. It just might help me make sense of the Stephen Stills (and Jimmy Buffett) song Tree top Flyin', and VATS of what?

<G>

LOL - I only know a small number of Jimmy Buffett's songs. He could be talking about the Seven Dials I am referring to in this case though. It is an area of London that dates back to the late 17th century. It was designed to be a posh neighborhood located close to the prosperous Covent Gardens (it is within walking distance of both the Covent Gardens and Leicester Square tube stations). It is 'known' because there is a large dial in the center of a roundabout that literally services seven roads. The original planner wanted to get as much bang for his buck with regard to real estate so he crammed as many streets and buildings as he could into his development. Unfortunately, it never caught on as a posh neighborhood and became quite the opposite. Here is an interesting take by Mr Dickens on 'The Seven Dials'. It has experienced a resurgence in recent years and I was totally comfortable staying there.

Here's a picture of the actual Seven Dials taken from my hotel doorstep.

Ok, I'm not sure if it got loaded but we'll see.

As far as the VATS go - in your case, I would say rum but in actuality you know what it is - that awful tax is that is a pain in the you know where to get back! This hotel was nice but I had to fight with them on the VAT - in our original booking it said it was inclusive of VAT but somehow they couldn't find that when we got there - after some extensive 'conversation' - they saw it my way :D

And we still have to get together. But I'm headed for Maine next weekend, Marc's father is coming up from Florida (we hope) Sadly, we had booked him on a cruise with us last year, but he ended up canceling for health reasons.

I'm all for GTG. Why don't we split the difference distance wise and meet up at Salem Valley Ice Cream?

It may well be the last time Marc gets to see him.

Hope not!

Who knows?

Do B/C me. (parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com) As soon as i know I am taking a day off, maybe we can plan something. I drive past Colchester about every other week headed up to Wethersfield.

Karie,

I'm happy to help - London is my happy place!

Have fun in Maine! and I hope the visit with Mark's dad works out well.

Morrie

lives very close to Karie....close enough to get in a lot of trouble from the looks of things! ;)

1881852673_sevendialsweb.jpg.e5a5ae1e2b44f6b35a5fa928d0a6c12a.jpg

Okay,

<G>

It may well be the last time Marc gets to see him. Who knows?

Do B/C me. (parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com) As soon as i know I am taking a day off, maybe we can plan something.

Karie,

Seven Dials is nothing more than the convergence of 7 different streets.

Originally, it was meant for 6 streets and the original 6-faced sun pillar reflected that. The original pillar was removed in hopes that vagrants would remove themselves as well. The current pillar is a replica. It's location is on the edge of the West End.

Seven Dials is nothing more than the convergence of 7 different streets.

Originally, it was meant for 6 streets and the original 6-faced sun pillar reflected that. The original pillar was removed in hopes that vagrants would remove themselves as well. The current pillar is a replica. It's location is on the edge of the West End.

Thanks, Babette.

You are quite knowledgeable about London.

I'm still not sure how that relates to the Stephen Stills song. I will have to listen to the lyrics again. I have always wondered that.

Karie,

who has to go get the CD out!

Okay With the comment about the vagrants, now it sort of makes sense:

I could be a rambler from the seven dials

I don't pay taxes 'cause I never file

I don't do business that don't make me smile

I love my aeroplane 'cause she's got style

I'm a treetop flyer

Born survivor

I would like to ask for recommendations for hotels in Southampton - I prefer upscale hotels such as Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons but, upper level chain hotels such as Marriott or Hyatt are fine too.

Also, I would like to ask for recommendations for car service/limousine service from Heathrow to Southampton.

Thank you!

Hi Hopeful Henry,

I'm NW UK based and IMO the only upmarket hotel in Southampton is the De Vere. I've stayed there on a number of business occasions and found it acceptable. Clean, comfortable and efficient. It's OK as a overnight base, but don't expect anything more. The Hilton is (IMO) 2*plus and although touted by Cunard, the advantages are limited and the food is, at best, indifferent. o avoid disappointment, you may be best to find an acceptable London hotel, take advantage of an overnight in the capital and travel in style to So'ton.:)

What about something like the Rhinefield House Hotel in Brockenhirst? It's slightly further from the port than the De Vere but, I suspect that it will be much better. It's still only a taxi ride away. http://www.handpicked.co.uk/opencms/sites/default/HPH/hotels/rhinefield_house/about/index.html

I've not stayed there but I have stayed at other hotels in that chain and they are very good.

Our friends that joined us on board. did the 'Cruise and Stay' package (it's about half way down) and loved it. It is pricey but theirs included pick up at Heathrow and car service to the port. They LOVED it. Said it was one of the best nights they've ever spent in a hotel.

So there's a thought...definitely a very, very nice place to stay before your cruise.

What about something like the Rhinefield House Hotel in Brockenhirst? It's slightly further from the port than the De Vere but, I suspect that it will be much better. It's still only a taxi ride away. http://www.handpicked.co.uk/opencms/sites/default/HPH/hotels/rhinefield_house/about/index.html

I've not stayed there but I have stayed at other hotels in that chain and they are very good.

Malcolm,

It looks absolutely gorgeous. I am afraid to look at the price!

Karie,

who is putting all of her money into the cruises! (Crossings)

It looks absolutely gorgeous. I am afraid to look at the price!

Their other hotels are good. The prices aren't too bad - £230.00 per night is their rack rate although when we've stayed at their hotels it's been on special offers that make them cheaper:rolleyes: I suppose that if you work on USD 460.00 it does make them look expensive:eek:

Best car service I know is www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk

Cheryl, one of the owners, is great to work with. They are headquartered near Southampton.

We used Woodford in June for all our transfers: Heathrow to London, London to Southampton, and the returns. They were so highly recommended on this Cunard board, I decided to give them a try.

They provided excellent service, and I'll definitley use them again the next time.

Archived