Funchal recommendation

We'll be on our first Regent cruise on 4/26 on the Navigator from Funchal to Nice. We'll be arriving from Madrid at the end of a Tauck Spain trip so we will have 2 days in Funchal. Can anyone recommend a hotel? I see Regent uses Reid's but that's not an option. All of your wonderful comments about Regent are so helpful & we've enjoyed reading them as well as totally looking forward to our first Regent experience. Anyone else on this sailing? Thanks for your help!

Several years ago we spent several days at the Cliff Bay Resort in Funchal. We loved the location and the room was wonderful. I'd go back in a heartbeat. We peeked into Reids and thought it was very stuffy & formal.

We are sailing on the Voyager from Funchal to Ft. Lauderdale in November. We will spend two nights in Funchal and have a reservation at Suite Hotel Eden Mar. It gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Funchal has a wide range of hotels that cover the gamut of prices and interests. It depends on what you are looking for, whether you will have a car, are into golf, hiking, etc. You probably want to avoid the large hotels in Funchal that cater to package tours. Cliff Bay or Royal Savoy are two well respected and popular hotels. I like Madeira Palace's junior suites, but some people feel that it is too far from the main tourist area. If you want a smaller, more intimate "typico" you might want to check MaderiaIslands.com. They have links to a nice selection of privately owned hotels. The Madeira Times, available free online, advertising is sometimes helpful as well.

JoAnne B

Archived