confused about post-cruise excursions

asepin

hi all,

first, let me thank all of you who contribute to these boards. i can't believe how much info i've already gleaned!

second, i wanted to ask what you would recommend as far as travel goes for my husband and i (age 35) once we disembark in seward. we have 2 days to spend and i have no ideas about how to spend them.

what is denali national park? kenai fjord? talkeetna? where should we stay? what mode of transportation should we use?

we would be up for doing something somewhat active, but nothing involving planes or whitewater rafting.

thanking you so much in advance for whatever tips you can offer!

: ) amy

Amy,

If I only had 2 days, I would stay right there in Seward and take a Kenai Fjords cruise, visit Exit glacier, Seavey's dog sled, and then take the train or rent a car to get to Anchorage. We have four days and are doing the above, plus driving to Denali and Talkeetna and it is really not enough time. It is an 8 hour+ drive from Seward to Denali and then you need a whole day for Denali. Depending on your time, if you rent a car you might be able to see some things along the way back to Anchorage. Others with more experience will have more specific advice.

I agree with mscloyd. We stayed one night in Seward and two nights in Cooper Landing last year. There is plenty to do in Seward. We did all that mscloyd mentioned (Seavey's, Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords Cruise, and we visited the Sealife Center. I would recommend all of these. The Toursaver book has coupons for hotels in Seward as well as the Kenai Fjords cruise and the Sealife Center. We rented a car, and that is what I would recommend, because then you can take a leisurely trip back to Anchorage with many stops. We stopped at Big Game Alaska (which has now changed its name), at a lot of lookouts, and in Girdwood for lunch.

Add several more days is highly recommended- so you have at least 5?? With 2- depending on your interests and if you want to tour Anchorage- request visitor guides. You could see Seward the day of arrival- get up early for an early start. You can cab to Exit glacier in the am and still be back in time for a Kenai Fjords cruise- my top recommended attraction there. Leaves around 11:30am and then you are back in time for the Alaska RR back to Anchorage. In Anchorage- rent a car and plan your day carefully- you could do a "day trip" to Talkeetna if that is your interest but a long day with all the possible stops along the way. Another suggestion is glacier trekking with MICA guides- 2 hour drive from Anchorage- would take up your whole day but a cheap glacier trek compared to the fly ins. If you are looking to drive from Seward- reserve early via Hertz, only rental available for one way to Anchorage- expect up to $200/day.
There are no Seward lodging coupons in the 2004 Toursaver book.

I recommend the glacier hike, only we used NOVA. The Matanuska Glacier is one of the few drive-up glaciers and, as B.Q. says, is only a few hours north of Anchorage. Take the highway up to Palmer then take the Glenn Hwy east to just past Chickaloon (not a town that's even on all maps.) Even the drive there is spectacular. This will definitely get you away from the crowds.

Palomino,
for Seward specials try Alaska Heritage tours, [url="http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com"]www.alaskaheritagetours.com[/url] They have room and Kenai Fjords cruise specials and other as well as tours and packages.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99
Ecstacy 05/00
Westerdam 04/01
Legend of the Seas 08/02
Zaandam 04/03
Carnival Spirit 08/03

Archived