So why is Princess leaving Ft Lauderdale port in 2008

losuds63

I see no replacement for the Caribbean Princess at the Port In FT Lauderdale so I guess this will be our last time with Princess for a while we leave in 3 weeks ---Guess Iam going back to Carnival out of Miami or Royal Caribbean

They are only leaving it for a couple of months over the summer of 2008. Between, Royal, Carnival and Hurricane season, I just don't think it is as profitable for them as Alaska and Europe are in the summer months.

The princess ships start heading back in October 2008. It looks like the Crown and the Caribbean will trade home ports, the new Ruby Princess will do 7 night westerns from FLL and the Emerald will come back for the 10 night trips.

Mike

For the summer months, Princess (CB) is going out of NY to the Caribbean. The move from Fort Lauderdale is assumed to be due to the summer hurricane impact on Florida ports. Going out of NY allows more flexibility to avoid such weather, and presumably easier access to the largest percentage of passengers.

But for Spring, Fall and Winter, there is still a large presence out of Fort Lauderdale. The Crown and Ruby will be doing separate east and west itineraries (not alternating like the CB was doing) and there is a new 10 day Southern itinerary out of FLL, so folks don't have to travel to San Juan just to take a southern route (although that itinerary is also available).

Living in the UK, I think cruising ex-New York is a great idea.

We can fly to NY direct from our local regional airport, 6 hours, while MIA is 10 hours plus one change of plane.

The extra sea days would be great too, just to unwind from all the ports.

Plus I think that Grand Turk is a lovely new destination... new cruise pier, Margaritaville and a few souvenir shops, all by the beach.

Archived