WindSurf over the holidays?

KLG

We're thinking about booking the Barbados holiday cruise. I was hoping to hear from previous Christmas passengers what the experience is like. Is the ship festive? Is there much holiday activity? Since this is not a family ship, who's on it at that time of year? We sailed the Wind Surf once before, so we know what to expect in terms of the ship, but not this sailing.

Karen

I have been on the Wind Surf the last 2 Holiday Cruises. I had a great time. The ship was decorated in the Christmas spirit but not over done. Mostly it was couples or groups of couples that wanted to get away from the Mall Christmas type of Christmas. There was a few children.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. My husband and I and another couple have been on Windstar for 3 of the past 4 holiday seasons (we tried Star Clipper in Asia last year instead to get a new itinerary)

We (all 4 of us) are coming back to Windsurf this year and are doing both Christmas and New Year's weeks. (different islands)

The ship is festive and fun. There are holiday decorations and special foods and the staff do a holiday entertainment program with things from their local countries. One year, a new friend I made on board and I decided to do a non denominational Christmas service and about 50 people showed up! We just did some traditional Christmas readings from the Bible found in our cabin and then someone else led some Christmas carols. (My point is that the trip is really what you make it ... that's part of the attraction of a smaller boat!)

People tend to dress up a tad more than usual for Windstar for Christmas and especially New Years Eve but still not real dressy. (eg some guys in sport coats and ties and women in nice cocktail attire ... I don't recall any tuxedos.) My husband has a couple of fun holiday ties and he brings those (Frosty the Snowman sunbathing etc!) His rule is, no matter what, no socks on board ship!

What a great low key way to celebrate the holidays! Leave all the stress behind and just enjoy it! There are always people on board doing last minute shopping (think anything from T shirts to jewelry!) in the on board stores and on shore. I swapped gift wrapping with someone one year... Every year my husband and I bring Christmas stockings aboard with little fun gifts for each other that we open one per night (e.g. travel Scrabble, a trip journal, books, cds, etc.) So you don't have to totally miss the traditional stuff unless you want to.

Go for it! You won't be disappointed if it hasn't changed from the past!

If you have other specific questions just let me know and I will try to respond.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, Chicagogal--we will be joining you this New Years on Windsurf. Our first on Windstar--looking forward to, hopefully, rockin' and a rollin' on the high seas. Unfortunately, we are not Rock 'n Rollers on New Years Eve though....:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived