Specific port on Santorini

Fira is at the top of a cliff. It is usually the city on Santorini where cruise passengers arrive. I don't know what they call the little patch of concrete where you actually arrive via tender. But, from there the only place to go is up! You usually have 3 choices to get up to Fira. Cable car, donkey or walk up the same stairs that the donkeys use. It is very scenic.

Enjoy, Debbie

Fira is at the top of a cliff. It is usually the city on Santorini where cruise passengers arrive. I don't know what they call the little patch of concrete where you actually arrive via tender. But, from there the only place to go is up! You usually have 3 choices to get up to Fira. Cable car, donkey or walk up the same stairs that the donkeys use. It is very scenic.

Enjoy, Debbie

Yes, it's always been Fira for us. If you opt to walk up the donkey route watch your step very carefully! It's scenic and also "aromatic."

This may be s stupid question, but can anyone tell me if the ship's tender for the Navigator goes to Fira or the Athinios port on Santorini. I can't really tell from the info at the RSSC site. Are Fira and Athinios actually the same place?

Thanks,

Athinios is on the southern end of the island. We went there by tender for our excursion BUT it wasn't where the "non-shore-excursion" people were tendered.

The ship holds station near Fira at the bottom of the cable car or donkey ride up to Fira. Athinios is farther south and has a road (heavy duty switchbacks with scary drop offs, it's where our bus picked us up to do the island tour). We were on the Diamond, but it's the same. The ship tenders do the short run to the little area below Fira.

If you are trying to do an independent excursion, I would inquire from RSSC if they would sell you or give you a ride to Athinios with their excursion guests going there by tender. Depending on the amount of space on their tender, i.e, is the tender full with paying guests, they may let you hop on board.

The tender situation was identical for us last week on our Oceania cruise as well as the other cruiselines that were there - A Princess, Costa and Pullmantour ship were in the caldera with us. People with excursions were tendered into Athinios and bussed to their locations - we went to Oia and then Fira. If there are more than a few ships make sure to allow enough time to get back to the ship via the cable car - there was a two hour wait to get back down the hill. It was 115 degrees - the hottest day on record in Santorini.

Thanks for the info....that clears it up alot. I'm working on coordinating renting a Piaaggio MP3 ( a 3 wheeled 250cc scooter) and I wanted to tell the rental place where to deliver it. Although I suspect the folks at the rental business are familiar with where cruise passengers disembark.

Thanks again!:)

Archived