Help! Need suggestions....group of 10 flying into Bush late at night before cruise.

kchobbs

Hi there, there will be about 10 of us flying into Houston (IAH Bush) arriving about 11:30 pm the night before our cruise. It will probably be after midnight before we get our luggage. I have been reading some of the posts in regards to car rentals, shuttle, taxi and limo but our situation is a bit unique and I thought I would get some feedback here.

Am looking for suggestions regarding transportation and accommodation either near the airport, in Houston or should we go straight to Galveston, taking into consideration our time of arrival and the size of our group.

Since we are arriving so late, the quality of the hotel is not all that important since we will basically be sleeping, then waking up to travel to Gavelston.

Am almost leaning to a limo serive type shuttle bus for the day of our cruise that could take all of us to Galveston and then pick us up a week later as our flight leaves at 1:30 pm the day we return.

Suggestions?

Just my opinion but I wouldn't try to get all the way to Galveston (70 miles) that late at night. I'm not sure if you've checked but I would think that most of the transportation services and car rentals would be closed at that time of night. Just get a cheap room at a name brand hotel with shuttle service to & from IAH and get an early start the next morning. You may want to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport the next morning to catch a shuttle to Galveston or use the hotel shuttle to get back to a rental car agency. The hotel shuttle is free so why pay for transportation just to get some sleep.

If you do the rental van or arrange transportation with a private service you can get to Galveston early and not be dependent on scheduled shuttle service. These services sometimes use large busses and you will wait until they fill the bus.

If you get to Galveston early you can drop your luggage at the terminal and spend some time in the Strand Historic District. The Strand is across the street from the terminal and full of late 1800 & early 1900 restored buildings which now house specialty shops, restaurants, museums, art galleries and so on. See the attached site.

http://www.galveston.com/downtowntour/

Thanks for the input. I doubt we would want to arrive to Galveston at 2:00 am. I think we will get a shuttle to a hotel close to the airport. Are there shuttles running late at night? How far away is JFK Blvd? Suggestions for hotels?

After reading more reviews and considering the number in our group, I think we are leaning to hiring a company that could take all 10 of us at once in a van to Galveston. When we return we would like to use the same company to pick us up and return us to the airport.

Would love to have time to visit Galveston if time permits, but it looks like we might be a bit rushed for time. Too bad we couldn't arrange an earlier flight to arrive a bit early and relax and ejoy the southern hospitality. We are from Alberta Canada.

JFK Blvd is the same road on which the airport is located.The hotel shuttles run 24hrs.Here are a few of the Hotels and phone numbers for you.....

Holiday Inn

HOUSTON-INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT

15222 JOHN F. KENNEDY BLVD.

HOUSTON, TX 77032 UNITED STATES

Hotel Front Desk: 1-281-4492311 | Hotel Fax: 1-281-4426833

------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Quinta Inn & Suites

Houston Bush Intl Airport

15510 JFK Blvd.

Houston, TX 77032

Phone: (281)219-2000

Fax: (281)219-2325

AAA 3 Diamond Rating

Homewood Suites By Hilton® HOU Intercontinental Arpt 1340 N. Sam Houston Parkway East, Houston, Texas, USA 77032

Tel: +1-281-219-9100 Fax: +1-281-219-9103

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

HOUSTON-BELTWAY 8 (IAH WEST)

1330 N. SAM HOUSTON PKWY E

HOUSTON, TX 77032 UNITED STATES

Hotel Front Desk: 1-281-3721000 | Hotel Fax: 1-281-3721001

Archived