Any ships in Cairns

Hi all,

we are on a 2 week holiday in Cairns and I was wondering if either of the Sun or Star are due here at all before the 21st July. we are staying close to the CBD and thought if any ships were coming in we could go for a look ? And yes, for anyone in Adelaide, there is definitely a warmer place to be at the moment....talk about beautiful one day and perfect the next:cool:

cheers

Vanessa

Never mind the Sun or the Star.

If you're around the wharf between 10:00 and 14:00 on Friday go and have a look at this little beauty.

The Captain Cook Cruises "M.V. Reef Endeavour"

recq0.jpg

You'll want to go on it when it sails at 2pm.:)

Its on our list for next year.

Maybe I'll just go and start 'wine o'clock' a bit earlier on Friday and see what floats by !:D :D :D

What a pleasant place to spend "wine o'clock"

We'll be in Cairns in about 2 weeks time.

We go up every year at about this time and loaf around the coast anywhere between Innisfail and Cooktown for a month or two. :) :D

Just an aftethought.

Heres what Reuben Goossens has to say about the Reef Endeavour.

http://www.e-cruiseworld.com/cookendeavour.htm

A beautiful vessel and one that every Aussie "cruiser" should consider a voyage on.

Not overly expensive, and you are supporting a 100% Aussie company and seeing some of the best cruising waters in the world.

Hi all,

we are on a 2 week holiday in Cairns and I was wondering if either of the Sun or Star are due here at all before the 21st July. we are staying close to the CBD and thought if any ships were coming in we could go for a look ? And yes, for anyone in Adelaide, there is definitely a warmer place to be at the moment....talk about beautiful one day and perfect the next:cool:

cheers

Vanessa

No, Pacific Star is cruising out of Auckland at the moment and Pacific Sun has done it's yearly Sydney- Cairns - Sydney trip for this year, so neither of them will be in Cairns for awhile.

Kym

Hi Vanessa

Hope u are having a great time in Cairns, I was wondering if u are going to the wharf markets in Cairns? And are they worth going too? We are going in Sept on the Star with mum, she is in a wheel chair, and there are no shore tours for us to do :(

Thankyou Mouse :)

I was wondering if u are going to the wharf markets in Cairns? And are they worth going too?

If you are thinking of going to the markets while in Cairns, I would think that they wont be on while you are there. They certainly wernt on when i went last year on the Star

OH! So what is left for us to do? :confused:

Hi White Mouse,

There is lots to do in Cairns around the wharf and esplanade area.

Mostly level ground with good surface so you should be able to take Mum and show her some great sights.

You should find many things to occupy you during your stay, and there will be no shortage of cafes, restaurants and coffee shops to relax in when you feel the need for a break.

Enjoy. :)

OH! So what is left for us to do? :confused:

Heaps, like Dennis said.

We didnt book any tours in cairns because we both couldnt afford it and couldnt be bothered. Although in the 2 days we were there, we ended up exploring most of the shopping district they have as well as the CBD. We didnt run into any hills at all, in fact we were surprised at how flat the place was.

There are heaps of opal shops up there and we were fortunate to find one that was closing down so my friends picked up some good bargains while we were there.

Hi White Mouse,

we haven't seen any wharf market yet, but we've only been here since Monday and it may be a weekend thing ? I'll keep an eye out and let you know. As StarMan and Dennis have said, there is certainly no shortage of fabulous places to eat with perfect views either over the new pier / marina area or numerous coffee shops along the main street (Shields I think). And yes, it's very flat. I can go for a brisk walk and not even get puffed (chubby with asthma :D ) so I'm sure a comfortable stroll with the wheelchair would be fine. There is a very new boardwalk that extends along the esplanade and all the way around to the commercial port too. Again, some fabulous places to eat, coffee, wine or just watch life float by !

cheers

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

Hope u are having a great time in Cairns, I was wondering if u are going to the wharf markets in Cairns? And are they worth going too? We are going in Sept on the Star with mum, she is in a wheel chair, and there are no shore tours for us to do :(

Thankyou Mouse :)

Hi White Mouse, I walked past the night markets in Cairns today. Open from 4.30-11pm every day. It is the 'usual' stuff, souveniers *sp*, t-shirts, local craft stuff etc. wouldn't take more than about an hour to wander around.

I’m sure we’ll find heaps around the wharf, esplanade area.

The night markets sound a little disappointing for me but Mum loves the craft stuff. :confused: (really it's her first cruise so I don't think it'll matter where we go):D

Thankyou everyone so much for your help:)

Cheers Mouse

Hello all!

Tried to post yesterday but it failed me...too much traffic I think!

Although no P& O boats are due here until late August, we do appear to have many other cruise lines docking here. You can usually see the top decks of a cruise ship from the CBD as Trinity wharf is gradually being pulled down to allow for a massive makeover....the Esplanade beautification project will then continue right around to Trinity Wharf.

Abbott, Lake & Grafton Streets all have a pretty good uninterrupted view down to the wharf.

As for the Markets, there are a few. The Late night markets are very much aimed 'at the tourist' & much of the tourist 'stuff' sold is at very inflated prices, & can be bought at any no. of other gift shops around town...even our 'Woolies' in Abbott St. sells souvenirs. The tobacconist at the corner of Shields & Abbott St.s has some local stuff at decent prices if you take the time to check out its little interior. Rusty's Market, open Friday,Sat. & Sunday from early morning to late arvo, sells everything from vegies (mostly) to flowers to souvenirs...although I have seen some of the same souvenirs in Vila!!! It's a global village everywhere!:eek: We also have the Esplanade Markets near the lagoon every Saturday from 8 till 4pm.where most of the stalls appear to be more homespun produce. Unfortuneately though, most of this is not happening when P&O docks as it's always mid- week:)

A little suggestion for a great place, with one of the last 'private' pieces of esplanade frontage,(even has a tiny bit of real sand!) is the Cairns Yacht Club, for a great view, cheap drinks & pub food. This little gem which the members have failed to get heritage listing for, is soon to be demolished to make way for 'possibly', a public toilet block:eek: It is situated practically next door to Trinity wharf, heading towards the lagoon. It does have steps though.

P.S The Reef Endeavour is indeed a fine vessel & has some lovely itineraries...hubby & I will probably hold off on her until the kids have left the coop!

Cheers & do enjoy our little piece of paradise...it is mightily cold at present for us locals though!

Cheers & do enjoy our little piece of paradise...it is mightily cold at present for us locals though!

Hi Nerissa,

we are enjoying your city very much and it's easy to pick the tourists, we're the ones WITHOUT jackets on :D we are happily walking around in shorts and t-shirts with the locals rugged up !

Seriously, after 2 months of less than 15degrees in Adelaide, 23 and cloudy is heaven !!!!:cool:

Archived