Evac Insurance

Leo Jay

I've also posted this in 'Ask a Cruise Question', but that gets far less traffic. Kill this thread if I've committed a cardinal sin by posting it here as well, but...

... worst case scenario, if I need to be airlifted from the Carribbean back to New York for treatment, how much evacuation insurance would I need to cover that? Would $100,000 cover it? Or would I need $500K or even $1M? Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Insuremytrip customer service was not very helpful -- I don't expect them to be able to give me a firm number -- there are all sorts of variables, but if I break my leg in the Carribbean and need to be airlifted back to NY, I'd think they could tell me whether $100,000 or $1M sounds closer to the typical cost...

About 5 years ago, an aquaintance of mine had to be airlifted from a hospital in St. Maarten to one in San Diego. His wife told me it was nearly $36,000.

I'm sure it depends on what type of injury or illness you're talking about.

David

About 5 years ago, an aquaintance of mine had to be airlifted from a hospital in St. Maarten to one in San Diego. His wife told me it was nearly $36,000.

I'm sure it depends on what type of injury or illness you're talking about.

David

Ok, at least that gives me some very rough idea. Far from $1,000,000. Thanks much.

The policies I get generally have $100K... that should be fine, I haven't heard of a case where it has cost more than that.... generally around 30-50K... Perhaps if you are going to Europe, or SA, it might be higher? Either way, 100K should be fine.

Insuremytrip customer service was not very helpful -- I don't expect them to be able to give me a firm number -- there are all sorts of variables, but if I break my leg in the Carribbean and need to be airlifted back to NY, I'd think they could tell me whether $100,000 or $1M sounds closer to the typical cost...

If you broke your leg in the Caribbean, wouldnt they just airlift you to the nearest hospital and not NY? At that point you would have to get back to NY, which Im sure they would reimburse you for the expenses...or am I totally confused on how airlifts work.

If you broke your leg in the Caribbean, wouldnt they just airlift you to the nearest hospital and not NY? At that point you would have to get back to NY, which Im sure they would reimburse you for the expenses...or am I totally confused on how airlifts work.

Maybe -- I'm a bit unclear about the circumstances that might dictate an airlift from on land. Perhaps a more likely airlift scenario is if you get seriously injured while at sea...? Not sure. :o

I can not imagine sailing without insurance. The odds are my husband and I won't need it, but I am just not willing to take that chance. I think we usually buy $100,000 in insurance.

Only two cruises behind us and we have been very blessed, no illness or injury, except for our sail and sign card bill. :eek:

Archived