Bird Island Catamaran Sail - Antigua

OCruisers

Bird Island Catamaran Sail - Antigua

There were 37 on this tour. Rather than take all of us out on one catamaran which they could have easily done ... we were divided into two groups so the catamarans were not crowded at all.

Our catamaran was obviously made for tourist/tours because we did not have to remove our shoes before boarding, there were regular chair-type seats/benches, and the sails were on a raised platform. On the way out only the motors were used. We did "sail" going back. (About an hour each way....)

Our catamaran certainly was well manned -- captain plus three others -- GREAT Friendly Happy Service!

Now the Bad Part! Snorkel equipment was distributed before we anchored just beyond the cove where the beach was located. We were then taken by dingy to this awful little crowded beach which was very narrow and had few spots where there was any shade at all. These tiny semi-shaded spots were littered with cigarette butts and bottle caps. :rolleyes: (We may smoke and drink BUT we don't litter beaches.) The water at the beach was a combination of sand and sea-grass -- glad to have had water shoes along.

Those who wanted to snorkel were taken by a guide and swam from the beach to an island directly across form us (guesstimate ... football field + some away). We did not go. The snorkerlers were gone about an hour. Upon returning .. some said they didn't get to stay long enough ... some seemed very glad to be back ... NONE said thay had a good time.

In the meantime back at the already overcrowded beach MORE & MORE people arrived by dingy. Some were from near-by resorts and others from the other cruise ship in port. (?? Cruise Line ?? -- Almost all of the passengers were Italian.) It was fun and very interesting to talk with a variety of different people!

All of our group seemed glad to return to the catamaran. A buffet lunch was served -- not great but certainly OK! (Per my grandmother ... hunger is the best sauce! ) The rum punch was especially good -- made with spiced rum.

Except for the time at the beach, this excursion was very nice! Still, NEXT TIME, we'll do what we NORMALLY DO and just go to one of Antigua's beaches with sugar white sand and clean blue water!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 6 months later...

Stevie .... Maybe, you can find it now! Feel sure, it's the one you're asking for info -- 5 Hour Catamaran to Bird Island with Lunch!

My review may well be a bit too negative. Our catamaran crew was EXCELLENT and did everything they possibly could to make sure we were happy.

Hope this helps a little. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

My husband & I took this excursion in 2003. It was alright. It was a hot, clear day so the photos we took up on top of the hill at Bird Island are some of the best from our trip. I'd give the snorkeling a D. The snorkeling area was shallow and very cloudy from all the kicking up of the ocean floor from novice snorklers. No fish in sight! We got tanned that day and we enjoyed the cruise and sail aspect of this trip.

• 2 months later...

leighuf .... Thanks very much for responding with your opinion. Guess we both agree that it has its good and bad points.

Maybe someone else who has taken this one will respond as well. There are never too many opinions! :)

Archived