Trying to minimize liquor charges on board

ehogan

We don't drink so we could not provide an answer to our friends who are new to cruising and want to know what the rules are on NCL for liquor:

Is liquor banned from being brought on board in both checked and carry on (I am pretty sure the answer is yes, though)

How about wine?

Can you purchase liquor or wine on board and have it in your cabin?

What about bringing on soda/mix?

We don't drink so we could not provide an answer to our friends who are new to cruising and want to know what the rules are on NCL for liquor:

Is liquor banned from being brought on board in both checked and carry on (I am pretty sure the answer is yes, though)

How about wine?

Can you purchase liquor or wine on board and have it in your cabin?

What about bringing on soda/mix?

Yes, you can bring wine, but there is a $15 per bottle corkage fee.

No, you can't bring liquor on the ship, but you can order a bar set up. It is more expensive than buying it locally, but it will save you money and you can have drinks in your cabin.

Call or email the ship's coordinator for the ship you are on.

Jackie

how to minimize liquor charges?

stay away from the bar. all other posts...you'll pay one way or another.

1) pay per drink

2) pay to have your fave wine brought with you (corkage fee - no liquor allowed, or they will confiscate and give it to you at the end of the cruise)

3) sneaking it on board can be a hassle. and if the bottles break due to poor packing/poor baggage handling...you are SOL for clothes.

4) Garden Villa and Owners Suite...well you pay for the perks of liquor/wine in your room.

5) bar set up. (probably the best option)

i am planning on putting a box of franzia in my luggage...but the more i think about it the lazier feel about doing it. it's not like i'm going to avoid the bars all week. heck...they all know my name by the end of the cruise!

CHEERS!

With the increased security they scrutinize more of what you bring on board. When I was on the Wind to Alaska in 2000 I had no trouble bringing a growler (jug) of beer from the Skagway brewery. In 2001 on the Dream to the Baltic I brought a 6 pack of beer from every port on board. I kept it on ice in the sink and the room steward would keep the ice fresh.

I imagine those days are gone but I will be on the Dawn in September to Canada/NE and will be pub crawling in Halifax. I am going to try and bring beer on board there. If they say no I will just drink it on the dock.

I am going to try and bring beer on board there. If they say no I will just drink it on the dock.

that's the spirit! i knew how you were going to finish this story...was hoping you'd say "they could watch me chug all 6 bottles at the xray machine".

CHEERS!

Here's a photo of an x-ray image from the new multi-energy x-ray machines.

x-ray.jpg

Very easy to tell what you're looking at.

If the crew member manning the scanner is diligent, he/she can find almost every bottle or plastic jug of alcohol.

They often have drink specials on board if your friends want to limit their actual drink charges.... drink of the day or buckets of beer make the per drink cost cheaper.

those specials IMO are to increase consumption!

I'LL TAKE 2 PLEASE!!!

that's the spirit! i knew how you were going to finish this story...was hoping you'd say "they could watch me chug all 6 bottles at the xray machine".

CHEERS!

That is what I meant but I didn't want to reveal my true nature. I figured keeping beer in the sink was information enough.

As a beer drinker I don't know the best deals liquor. I do the beer helmet being discussed in the other thread. I rearrange the pay stuff in the fridge to increase capacity and fill it with beers from the helmet that way I always have one on hand.

Zone -

I'd be interested to know what corkage fee they'd charge you for a box wine. I've seen posts on here where people talk about trying it, but never heard if they let you get away with $15 for the box or if the would double or quadruple it.

That is what I meant but I didn't want to reveal my true nature. I figured keeping beer in the sink was information enough.

As a beer drinker I don't know the best deals liquor. I do the beer helmet being discussed in the other thread. I rearrange the pay stuff in the fridge to increase capacity and fill it with beers from the helmet that way I always have one on hand.

OH NOW THAT'S AN IDEA!!!

Zone -

I'd be interested to know what corkage fee they'd charge you for a box wine. I've seen posts on here where people talk about trying it, but never heard if they let you get away with $15 for the box or if the would double or quadruple it.

somewhere on the threads i might have seen that if found...and you pay corkage...it may roll up to total volume. where 450ml = $15 corkage...just calculate in direct proportion.

Archived