Snorkeling in Ochos Rios?

JettaGirl

I posted this question in the Jaimaca forum but no one has responded yet.

I will be going to Ochos Rios this January and I am interested to see if the snorkeling is good there. Anyone know? If so, through what company did you go through and how was it?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

We once did an excursion that went to Dunns River Falls, then did some snorkeling afterward. The "reef" they took us to was deader than dead. There was almost no fish and the "reef" was covered with spiny sea urchins. It was some pretty pathetic snorkeling.

I don't think Ocho Rios is noted for its snorkeling.

I agree. We did a tour through the ship where we snorkeled and then they took us to Dunn's River Falls. The snorkeling was poor in extremely shallow water. We were so close to the coral we thought sure we would hit it as we swam over it. I don't even remember seeing any fish.
We were warned by many people about the bacteria in Dunn's River Falls so we just watched from the stairs. The highlight of the tour was meeting one of the tour guides who was very informative about Jamaica and served a delicious snack while we were going to the snorkel site.
We were not impressed with this stop at all as when we walked to town, we had a local man try to lure us off to a store to buy things and then expected us to pay him for it. It was a little scary. We had some friends who went there last year and felt they came close to being jumped so be careful!! I would not get off the ship if I went there again.
The snorkeling is great in Grand Cayman especially if you also visit Stingray City. It is an up-close-and-personal experience of a lifetime!!!

I stayed at Sandals OR last August, and they had a decent operation. No, scuba isn't OUTSTANDING in OR, but hell, you're diving in the Caribbean, aren't you??:D :D I'm pretty sure Sandals will do trips for cruise pax, but it's a bit farther away from the dock, and I'm not sure if they'll pick you up. Renaissance Jamaica Grande is right there by the pier, but I'm not sure how they work. Just some suggestions.

I don't want anyone to take offense at this, but don't let anyone who says that diving isn't great in any location discourage you. I'd rather do a crappy Jamaica dive then a quarry dive here, and personally, IMHO, except for Dunn's River (which is way overcrowded when ships are in port) there isn't s%&* to do in Jamaica but dive and drink Appletons.

• 2 months later...
One note about bacteria in the water. I have traveled all over the caribbean and yucatan and swam and dove everywhere we have been. If you dive you probably have some aura dry or rubbing alcohol with you. After comming in contact with fresh water just splash it into your ears and wash you face and hands with it. Never been sick!

Archived