NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Just wanted to say thank you to all who have kept everyone up to date about the compass reward certificates. Like many, I was counting on those last days in December to finish out a $500 certificate. As soon as the address was listed for the resolution dept I mailed a dispute letter and BOA statements showing the points I had earned thru the end of the month. I received a phone call from BOA Monday saying my certificate would be mailed within 7-10 business days. Thanks again to all of you. Am sure you have helped many lurkers like myself thru your efforts.

I'm still waiting also. 2 weeks ago I received 5 upgrade certificates for 503 points, should have been $500 + 1 upgrade. I've called NCL twice and my next step is a letter if I don't receive my corrected certificates in a few days. I will let you all know one way or the other.

I mailed in our 4 $500 certificates today to NCL's Accounting Department in Miami via USPS Priority Mail with Certified Mail. I requested the $2000 be credited to our credit cards we made payment with. I'll post again once the credit appears on our card account.

Our corrected certificates arrived in the mail yesterday also. I hope everyone else gets the correct ones now. It's not fun feeling like you're getting the shaft....

I didn't write or call, just waited a bit to see if they would get their act together. Hope it's for everyone soon.

My husband is the cardholder but I am an authorized user. I am taking a cruise in August with my daughter. My certificate is addressed to my husband. Will I have any issues using this certificate on an upcoming cruise. As I said, I am an authorized user on the card.

I'm still waiting, too! If I'm still waiting after Saturday's mail, I'll call again. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I last spoke to someone and was told I'd get an update in 5 days... But since so many of you are getting corrected mailings I'm trying to be patient [$500 is a lot of money!!!]

We went to our travel agent today to book our cruise. The $500 certificate was not accepted as payment, but the travel agent said she would mail the certificate in to NCL for us and that we should eventually receive a $500 refund to our credit card. We had to pay the total price of the cruise. We have our fingers crossed hoping that we will get the promised $500.

The four 100 point upgrade certificates are trash can liner. They were not accepted at all. The TA said we might ge a "guaranteed" upgrade since we are traveling on our anniversary, but she was unsure.

We have been on 5 NCL cruises, but I guess the end of Compass Rewards frees us up to try other cruise companies.

We went to our travel agent today to book our cruise. The $500 certificate was not accepted as payment, but the travel agent said she would mail the certificate in to NCL for us and that we should eventually receive a $500 refund to our credit card. We had to pay the total price of the cruise. We have our fingers crossed hoping that we will get the promised $500.

The four 100 point upgrade certificates are trash can liner. They were not accepted at all. The TA said we might ge a "guaranteed" upgrade since we are traveling on our anniversary, but she was unsure.

We have been on 5 NCL cruises, but I guess the end of Compass Rewards frees us up to try other cruise companies.

What do you mean by 'not accepted'?

Don't know who your TA is but I'd be looking for a new one!

Dianne

Our certificates also had to be mailed in to NCL, but the TA can also mail them for you and you will get a credit on your statement.

We paid NCL in full for our cruise and then they issued the credit when they received the certificates.

RIDDLE: You will not be able to use the certificates with your husband's name on them. We have gone round and round with NCL about this. You have to have the card redone as a "joint account", both equally responsible not just as an authorized user. Then the certificates will come in both or your names. If not, your husband has to be in the room you are paying for. We even tried booking 2 rooms in our names (one for us and one for the kids). If he was not listed as the passenger in that specific room, we could not use the certificates to pay for the room. Eventually, we had the certificates in both of our names and put one of each of us in each room so we could use them. I'm not sure you will be able to do this with the change in the program now. Anyway, when we had to do this it was a TON of phone calls and generally resembled the headache people have gone through here to get their certificates. I hope you have a different experience, but I would get working on this if that is your intent. Good luck!:o

I've tried several searches regarding what compass points can be used for, but I've not had any luck. Too many posts, I guess!

Does anyone know exactly what compass rewards can be used for? We have our cabin booked. If we were to add air, insurance, transfers, pre-cruise hotel, romance/spa package, excursions - anything - prior to when our final payment is due, would that be covered as well? Is there a list somewhere that I've overlooked? We have $2500 in certs, with a balance of just over $1500.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Jenny

I've tried several searches regarding what compass points can be used for, but I've not had any luck. Too many posts, I guess!

Does anyone know exactly what compass rewards can be used for? We have our cabin booked. If we were to add air, insurance, transfers, pre-cruise hotel, romance/spa package, excursions - anything - prior to when our final payment is due, would that be covered as well? Is there a list somewhere that I've overlooked? We have $2500 in certs, with a balance of just over $1500.

Jenny

I know I have used them for insurance. Not sure about the rest, but others may post. You could always go on another cruise next year!

Jenny

From what I understand, the certificates can only be applied against the final cost of the cruise (fare, taxes, govt and port charges). Pre/post hotel stays, OBC, excursions, etc (anything besides the actual cost of the cruise and taxes) are not included. Now, I have heard conflicting reports as to what happens if you send in more certificates than the price of the cruise (what happens if you mail in $2500 in certificates for your $1500 cruise?). Some people have said they got $500 in OBC, others say you lose any 'extra'. I'd be inclined to believe the later of the two.

Why not book another cruise? Or add me as a user on your card and I'll use the certificates for you :) Seriously though, call NCL just to make sure that the charges you mentioned above are not covered by the certificates, and also check what happens with any extra monies. I'm almost certain its lost, but its worth a shot to ask.

My letter with the "Corrected Balance" of 1,008 final Compass Reward points from BOA arrived today!!! I had previously only received one upgrade certificate, but today I received the other two 500 point/dollar certificates so All of my compass rewards are correct! Yeah! I felt like I was opening a lottery ticket, when I got the envelope (which arrived unsealed!). I am so happy to know that they are here.

I will really miss this program, and will probably not cruise once a year now.... With the other credit cards I will be using it will take me almost twice as long to get the same value. Not using the BOA World Points card at all, since the return on that is far worse than other cards.

Now, I have to call BOA and get them to correct the World Points balance for my January statement, in case I ever decide to use the points/card.....

This is a great thread, and we have all helped each other here! I think it has been the most active thread on the NCL boards since it started in October!!

Happy sailing!

Hi Judy,

I always send mine priority mail with delivery confimation (around $6) to this address:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attention Accounting Department

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, Florida 33126

lumonny,

I did send in my certificates that I received in January after final payment. I had a credit on my charge card exactly one week after mailing, which I thought was fantastic service!:)

Thanks Mary.

That's what I will do, I hope to get tyhem out this weekend for a final payment due March 1st.

which gave us 120K points in a few months with 10, 5, 3 points per $1 spent. So I transferred it to CO air for us to fly home from London from a TA in April. Next year we will change from Citi World MC to Citi Platinum AMEX for more great perks. With the BOGO air, ID theft protection, yearly credit score & reports from all 3 agencies are far over in value of the $125 yearly fee & first year is FREE.

I'm still real confused on what card to get now. So all the regular bills are hitting my NCL card still and all other stuff I'm putting on my Disney card for now.

I really need to find a good card to give me some good points I can use.

I don't want hotel points as I wouldn't use them, air seems to be a PIA I have a AMEX Delta Skymiles and enough points for a R/T flight but can never get it when I need it.

I liked the NCL compass awards as it grew fast and was easy to do.

I have no clus what I should do. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Jenny

Just me but I would put $1500 on this cruise and use the other $1000 for another cruise. That's a lot off.

Edited by judyf

I'm still real confused on what card to get now. So all the regular bills are hitting my NCL card still and all other stuff I'm putting on my Disney card for now.

I really need to find a good card to give me some good points I can use.

I don't want hotel points as I wouldn't use them, air seems to be a PIA I have a AMEX Delta Skymiles and enough points for a R/T flight but can never get it when I need it.

I liked the NCL compass awards as it grew fast and was easy to do.

I have no clus what I should do. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

My advice would be to go with a cash back credit card, rather than one with a point system involved. Hotel chains and airlines can (and probably will) start to increase the amount of points needed for redemption, just like NCL did with their program. Also, with handfuls of companies going out of business every day, who knows when a major hotel brand or airline will go under. I'd hate to have a card with 50,000 points on it and when I went to redeem them find out that they are worthless and no longer being accecpted.

You might not get as good as a deal with a straightcash back card (most all of them pay around 1%) as you would with points, but if NCL is no longer an option, I'd rather settle for one that pays me cash. Who knows, NCL might go under before the year is out. Or Disney. Or....pick one... :(