NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Just spoke with NCL worldpoints desk and the agent told me the double points and current OBC program will remain in effect for the NCL mastercard after Oct. changes are to the B of A cards program. If you got a NCL mastercard on board (as we did) that program and that type of card will remain the same. Call 1-866-954-4077 Mon. thru Fri. for TA bookings and 7 days for NCL direct bookings. So happy we need that OBC!

NCL is not a bank and NCL does not issue credit cards. The NCL cards are through BofA.

It seems the conflicting information is if NCL charges will still get 2x points. Likely not. The new terms clearly state that it can be applied to an NCL cruise.

So I decided to do some follow-up on my own with the NCL World Points department. (same department my cruise rep spoke with yesterday)

Anyway, I spoke with Nikki and after about a 5 min hold time, she came back and confirmed the 2-for-1 promo was in fact ending on 9/30. :(

I realize that call center type reps are often kept in the dark about things until the last minute and some may not go thru the same training at the same time. :p

Still think it's a bummer that they are still putting out advertisements for people to sign up for the 2 for 1 when they know it's going to end.

So I decided to do some follow-up on my own with the NCL World Points department. (same department my cruise rep spoke with yesterday)

Anyway, I spoke with Nikki and after about a 5 min hold time, she came back and confirmed the 2-for-1 promo was in fact ending on 9/30. :(

I realize that call center type reps are often kept in the dark about things until the last minute and some may not go thru the same training at the same time. :p

Still think it's a bummer that they are still putting out advertisements for people to sign up for the 2 for 1 when they know it's going to end.

So if I pay off my Jan 2014 cruise by 9/29 I'll still get double points?

Edited by 1stTimeCruiser2008

So if I pay off my Jan 2014 cruise by 9/29 I'll still get double points?

Based on my understand of how things work, yes. But I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people around here that are better suited to confirm/deny.

I'm just a newbie to the game. ;)

I am just getting ready to book 5 in a SC on the Dawn, that is over 11,000 points. If I pay it in full to get the points, would that take away any chance of credit for a price drop or an OBC offer?

Wonder if I pay everything but $100 & make $100 my final payment would work for not losing out on credits or price drops? What do you guys think?

JoieAnn

I am just getting ready to book 5 in a SC on the Dawn, that is over 11,000 points. If I pay it in full to get the points, would that take away any chance of credit for a price drop or an OBC offer?

Wonder if I pay everything but $100 & make $100 my final payment would work for not losing out on credits or price drops? What do you guys think?

JoieAnn

It does not matter when you actually pay for the cruise, you can still take advantage of price drops up to the official final payment date of the cruise. Even if you had paid in full, you can still cancel without penalty up to the final payment date.

I just wanted to give you a hint about calling the redemption center. I called 866-954-4077. I pressed 1 and then 1 again for a travel agent booked cruise/individual reservation. Each time I pressed that, I got disconnected or got all circuits busy. This time, I pressed 2 for all other reservations. So, even if you booked through a travel agent, press 2, not 1, or your call will be dropped (at least that is what I experienced). I was able to redeem almost all my points for OBC for my cruise in 2 weeks.

Just off the phone with NCL's redemption center for OBC. I had no problem cashing in 15,000 points for $150 OBC for my October Breakaway cruise.:D

I received an e-mail confirming this transation.:)

The agent said that there is much confusion over that BOA letter that has been sent out.:confused: I was assured that world points can be used for OBC on any future cruises past October. (This was not changing)

The agent was not sure about the 2 for 1 points for NCL purchase's.

Hopefully, I'll get my OBC next month.:D

Just to add my two cents to the confusion -

My PCC emailed whoever had sent her the notice about the change, asking specifically about the double points. The email came back that

"The double WorldPoints on Norwegian Cruise Line purchases is part of the standard card offering. It does not expire.

You can refer your customer to the terms and conditions on our site here: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?cid=2093577#tc

They may also call Bank of America’s Customer Service department for further clarification: 1.800.932.2775"

So I called that number and spoke to someone who confirmed this same information about the double points. He also said redemption would have to go thru BOA starting in October rather than the PCC.

This all transpired last Tuesday.

Just to add my two cents to the confusion -

My PCC emailed whoever had sent her the notice about the change, asking specifically about the double points. The email came back that

"The double WorldPoints on Norwegian Cruise Line purchases is part of the standard card offering. It does not expire.

You can refer your customer to the terms and conditions on our site here: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?cid=2093577#tc

They may also call Bank of America’s Customer Service department for further clarification: 1.800.932.2775"

So I called that number and spoke to someone who confirmed this same information about the double points. He also said redemption would have to go thru BOA starting in October rather than the PCC.

This all transpired last Tuesday.

Thanks for that clarification! I'm happy to hear some more good news about the 2-for-1 promo. However, it's my understanding (from NCL and BOA) that any redemption for NCL "products" would have to be made thru the NCL WorldPoints department and that BOA would no longer be handling redemption for said "products" beginning in October. BOA would still be responsible for anything non-NCL.

Thanks for that clarification! I'm happy to hear some more good news about the 2-for-1 promo. However, it's my understanding (from NCL and BOA) that any redemption for NCL "products" would have to be made thru the NCL WorldPoints department and that BOA would no longer be handling redemption for said "products" beginning in October. BOA would still be responsible for anything non-NCL.

I found the letter they sent me about 1-2 weeks ago... and it truly doesn't say ANYTHING about how the points are earned.

So that is good news - since I am still plugging along with our cruise payments using that card to tap the double points.

Edited by CactusFlower527

I found the letter they sent me about 1-2 weeks ago... and it truly doesn't say ANYTHING about how the points are earned.

So that is good news - since I am still plugging along with our cruise payments using that card to tap the double points.

That's what I plan on doing as well. I was going to be bummed if I had just go the card and the 2-for-1 was going to be done away with. :)

Edited by bktok

That's what I plan on doing as well. I was going to be bummed if I had just go the card and the 2-for-1 was going to be done away with. :)

I think whomever told our fellow CC members that it was "going away" was misinformed. That's not what the letter I have says...

I've discovered... over the years ....that on any given day .. you could talk to half a dozen CSR's at any company and get half a dozen different answers. It's kind of sad if you ask me.. but it happens a lot.

The letter only mentions REDEMPTION - nothing about EARNING :) in fact it says there are no changes about how points are EARNED.

http://flic.kr/p/fGkcon

I can't seem to find a way to embed an image of the letter here - so just included a link. Hope that is OK.

Edited by CactusFlower527

I have 91,000 world points right now. I was hoping to get to 100,000 to have a $1,000.00 OBC for my cruise in June 2014. Does anyone know if I redeem the points by 9/30 for an OBC, will it still be valid for my cruise in June? Obviously I won't make the 100,000 points by the end of the month. Can I ask for multiple OBC and use them on one cruise? Redeem 50,000 for $500.00 then redeem 25,000 for $250.00 etc. I guess I am going to get rid of this credit card. The whole point of it was to get the NCL cruise rewards. If they no longer offer that, I might as well get a Southwest Airlines or Jet Blue cc. I know they have annual fees. This is disappointing but I am so happy I found this thread. If they mailed me the info on the cruise rewards, I never read it. Thanks to whomever posted about the change in cruise rewards.

I have 91,000 world points right now. I was hoping to get to 100,000 to have a $1,000.00 OBC for my cruise in June 2014. Does anyone know if I redeem the points by 9/30 for an OBC, will it still be valid for my cruise in June? Obviously I won't make the 100,000 points by the end of the month. Can I ask for multiple OBC and use them on one cruise? Redeem 50,000 for $500.00 then redeem 25,000 for $250.00 etc. I guess I am going to get rid of this credit card. The whole point of it was to get the NCL cruise rewards. If they no longer offer that, I might as well get a Southwest Airlines or Jet Blue cc. I know they have annual fees. This is disappointing but I am so happy I found this thread. If they mailed me the info on the cruise rewards, I never read it. Thanks to whomever posted about the change in cruise rewards.

Having had some OBC issues with NCL over the years, I make it a lot simpler. Every time I accumulate 25,000 points I redeem that amount for cash, $250. It may not be as romantic appearing as an OBC but there is never a question.

I just now got off the phone with NCL world points. After I converted some points into OBC I asked about the 2 for 1 ending and she said " that's absolutely NOT true and that the only thing that was changing was you can't redeem points for cruises anymore via the BOA site". She also said "that nothing has changed with the relationship between NCL and the cardholder and 2 for 1 points for NCL purchases is still valid. I did mention a lot of OP are thinking of cancelling the card because of this and BOA should clarify.

So I'm happy and will keep my card for now :D

I just now got off the phone with NCL world points. After I converted some points into OBC I asked about the 2 for 1 ending and she said " that's absolutely NOT true and that the only thing that was changing was you can't redeem points for cruises anymore via the BOA site". She also said "that nothing has changed with the relationship between NCL and the cardholder and 2 for 1 points for NCL purchases is still valid. I did mention a lot of OP are thinking of cancelling the card because of this and BOA should clarify.

So I'm happy and will keep my card for now :D

Thanks for that additional clarification!