NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

If the card is late I would suggest you call NCL the day before your payment is due and ask for an extension - I think they might be able to do that - but probably a good idea to get it in writing.

Your other option is to call BofA and see if they can give you the info...good luck.

Or go into BOA and have them do the charge .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Or go into BOA and have them do the charge .

Thanks, I didn't realize they could/would do that. Good to know.  I know AmEx will give you a temporary number to start charging right away, but every bank and program is different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alwalaska said:

Thanks, I didn't realize they could/would do that. Good to know.  I know AmEx will give you a temporary number to start charging right away, but every bank and program is different.

No different than going in to get a cash advance.

• Like 1

I've been a long time NCL BoA credit card holder and applied for a different one to earn Alaska Air miles.  They gave me a nice credit limit but reduced the credit limit on the other card to make sure their overall risk isn't too high.  It surprised me so I called and they happily rebalanced the limits right away.  Even though they get paid in full each month, I prefer the higher limit on NCL.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JennKach said:

I've been a long time NCL BoA credit card holder and applied for a different one to earn Alaska Air miles.  They gave me a nice credit limit but reduced the credit limit on the other card to make sure their overall risk isn't too high.  It surprised me so I called and they happily rebalanced the limits right away.  Even though they get paid in full each month, I prefer the higher limit on NCL.

Thanks for the heads up…I’ll have to keep my eyes open as we have other BoA cards that have high limit but rarely used.  

• Like 1

Well, y’all,it’s a sad day in Magnoliaville.  I spent the last two days in the hospital with my first ever (and impressive as hell) episide of a fib.   All is well now and I’m home, but sadly our Viking river cruise in two weeks is off.  Zip,zero, nada, no way Jose, just ain’t gonna happen.  But I can’t still look at my WP account and say, “wow, look at all those points that cruise got me”.  Insurance will reimburse us, and there will be another opportunity for that trip.  Life is good.  Trying to find a positive spin from the cancellation.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2023 at 10:28 AM, julig22 said:

If the card is late I would suggest you call NCL the day before your payment is due and ask for an extension - I think they might be able to do that - but probably a good idea to get it in writing.

Your other option is to call BofA and see if they can give you the info...good luck.

This card is a BANK card not a NCL card. All dealing are with the bank, not NCL

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, philbird said:

This card is a BANK card not a NCL card. All dealing are with the bank, not NCL

And payment is due on a specific date.  NCL can extend the due date while the card is in the mail - or for any other reason a person might have for regarding an extension.  So no, you are NOT dealing with the bank in order to make a payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Well, y’all,it’s a sad day in Magnoliaville.  I spent the last two days in the hospital with my first ever (and impressive as hell) episide of a fib.   All is well now and I’m home, but sadly our Viking river cruise in two weeks is off.  Zip,zero, nada, no way Jose, just ain’t gonna happen.  But I can’t still look at my WP account and say, “wow, look at all those points that cruise got me”.  Insurance will reimburse us, and there will be another opportunity for that trip.  Life is good.  Trying to find a positive spin from the cancellation.

So sorry to hear this.  Great attitude. I hope that you are able to stay healthy well into the future and start cruising again when you feel safe doing so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

It’s truly a blessing that your medical emergency happened at home vs abroad on a ship.  Wishing you well…God bless you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, julig22 said:

And payment is due on a specific date.  NCL can extend the due date while the card is in the mail - or for any other reason a person might have for regarding an extension.  So no, you are NOT dealing with the bank in order to make a payment.

Have you had experience requesting an extension?  Did you do this through PCC.  I also wondered if I paid it on another card then repaid again with the NCL card.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Have you had experience requesting an extension?  Did you do this through PCC.  I also wondered if I paid it on another card then repaid again with the NCL card.  

No actual experience. Closest experience would be when a CN manager onboard put an extended due date for paying a deposit. Not sure why, I think it has to do with buying CNs onboard that aren't available until the end of the cruise.

I'd think an extension would be more likely than changing payment after the final payment due date. I'd be afraid they might mess up and the reservation gets accidentally cancelled.

I'd start with your PCC but hopefully your card comes in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, laudergayle said:

It’s truly a blessing that your medical emergency happened at home vs abroad on a ship.  Wishing you well…God bless you.

Yes, I am so very glad it was not on the ship, but more thankful it wasn’t on that 10 flight from DFW to Amsterdam.  I’m healthy as a horse, so this caught me by surprise, but things happen for a reason so in the fullness of time we may know why.  Or then again, maybe not. 🤭. Thanks for the kind thoughts.  And in case you are ever tethered to a bed by monitors and IVs for two days- that’s a looot of time for cruise shopping 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This may be old news to those of you who are more versed in the upgrade process, however after reading many of your posts I recall that you used to be able to redeem ONE meta/dblmeta on a B2B and as of recent this has no longer been allowed.

This post, Just booked a B2B... explains how the OP booked a B2B that was merged under one Conf #. with others chiming in that they are seeing it as well.

Any insight on if a person would be able to redeem through WP for an upgrade on the entire B2B if there is only one Conf# for both sailings? probably not, but wanted to see what some of you thought.

• Like 1

2020 was the last time you could book a B2B and upgrade using 1 meta upgrade on the entire booking.

Since 2020 you can still book a B2B but the meta upgrades are now per voyage and not per booking.

- WYB

• Like 1

Has anyone found value in using the NCL credit card points?  I'm searching through the posts and I don't see any value compared to just taking a statement credit, or even better yet, using a different credit card that gives more points and other benefits like travel insurance with Chase Sapphire.  It makes no sense to exchange points for a $200 on board credit instead of just using the same number of points for a statement credit.  I guess, if I paid for the NCL cruise with the credit card, I'd get 3 points for every dollar spent.  Is that the main advantage?  

https://www.ncl.com/world-points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

Has anyone found value in using the NCL credit card points?  I'm searching through the posts and I don't see any value compared to just taking a statement credit, or even better yet, using a different credit card that gives more points and other benefits like travel insurance with Chase Sapphire.  It makes no sense to exchange points for a $200 on board credit instead of just using the same number of points for a statement credit.  I guess, if I paid for the NCL cruise with the credit card, I'd get 3 points for every dollar spent.  Is that the main advantage?  

The biggest benefit is using points for a cabin upgrade. We upgraded from an inside to a balcony for our 20-day Panama Canal cruise and saved $5,000, which is more than we paid for the inside. If you routinely book higher than a balcony, this would not benefit you. 

2 hours ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

I recently used $300 worth of points (from $10k in NCL purchases) for an upgrade -OV to balcony - worth over $3K. So yea, valuable to me. Plus no annual fee.  But I agree that it makes no sense to get obc instead of statement credit if you aren't going for an upgrade.

• Like 1

Hi all

Just applied for the NCL BOA card which has the $200 on board credit. My question is can you use this $200 on board credit towards pre booking excursions before your cruise actually starts like Royal Caribbean allows you to do, or do you need to be on the cruise to actually use it. I tried to find the answer and don't see this question anywhere.

Thanks!

• Like 1

NCL does not all allow the use of OBC prior to boarding.

some people recommend booking the excursion, then canceling once onboard (you’ll receive refundable OBC), then rebooking using your nonrefundable OBC. i find that messy and inconvenient, but it does ensure you get the excursion you want. otherwise, you just need to chance it and be among the first to board and head straight to the excursions desk.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokeykat said:

Hi all

Just applied for the NCL BOA card which has the $200 on board credit. My question is can you use this $200 on board credit towards pre booking excursions before your cruise actually starts like Royal Caribbean allows you to do, or do you need to be on the cruise to actually use it. I tried to find the answer and don't see this question anywhere.

Thanks!

If you’re a frequent cruiser…don’t cash your 20000 points in fir a $200 OBC.  For 30000 you can do a one category upgrade from OV to Balcony.  Read back through the posts from the last 5ish pages and you will some great tips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

If you’re a frequent cruiser…don’t cash your 20000 points in fir a $200 OBC.  For 30000 you can do a one category upgrade from OV to Balcony.  Read back through the posts from the last 5ish pages and you will some great tips.

I saw that ☺️ We are already booked in a club balcony so that won't work this time. I won't be running around canceling and re booking an excursion just to use the on board credit. Makes more sense to either hold off for our next cruise or just use it as statement credit depending on how many excursions I book for our Escape Mediterranean cruise next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeykat said:

I saw that ☺️ We are already booked in a club balcony so that won't work this time. I won't be running around canceling and re booking an excursion just to use the on board credit. Makes more sense to either hold off for our next cruise or just use it as statement credit depending on how many excursions I book for our Escape Mediterranean cruise next year.

Yeah, if you typically book club balcony or above…then the upgrade isn’t as attractive.  We typically book club balcony.  We just got our new card so once I pay for our November cruise we will trigger the 20k points plus 3x what we still owe on that cruise, plus use the card for all onboard expenses.  Once we’ve completed our November cruise we will have enough to upgrade from OV to balcony.  We will be looking for a longer more expensive cruise to get the most value from the upgrade. I think we’ll be fine in a regular balcony.  Enjoy your cruises.

• Like 2

My question has probably been addressed in this thread, but have spent some time reading old posts and not found it so thought I would ask for clarification:

Have not redeemed NCL credit card points before.  Understand that a generally double meta is best use of points, sometimes single (OV to ball) depending on price categories.  Also makes sense that point redemption for cabin upgrade has most value on longer cruises!  

1. Does point redemption need to be done at the time the reservation is first made, or can I make a reservation for a couple years out (points don't expire until 2027) and then call in to request a meta upgrade a few months later?  

2.  If points are redeemed for an inside to Balc cabin and then costs go down considerably, can reservation be changed from inside to OV cabin and then have less pints redeemed to move to Balc cabin.  

3.  If redeeming points for stateroom upgrade is it best to do it far, far in advance  or does it work also for last minute cruises (those sailing within 2 or 4 months)?

4. On a cruise taken earlier this year and booked a couple years ago, I had NCL do repricing 3 times which resulted in substantial savings.  If initial booking is done using point redemption for a stateroom upgrade, if there are future price reductions can guest still call win and have this applied?

5. If plans change and cruise needs to be cancelled before final payment is due, would points used for cabin upgrade be reinstated to my account?

Thanks!!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

1. Does point redemption need to be done at the time the reservation is first made, or can I make a reservation for a couple years out (points don't expire until 2027) and then call in to request a meta upgrade a few months later?     CAN BE DONE AT ANY TIME

2.  If points are redeemed for an inside to Balc cabin and then costs go down considerably, can reservation be changed from inside to OV cabin and then have less pints redeemed to move to Balc cabin.  I DO NOT BELIEVE SO.  YOU COULD CANCEL AND REBOOK, ASSUMING YOU ARE OUTSIDE PENALTY

3.  If redeeming points for stateroom upgrade is it best to do it far, far in advance  or does it work also for last minute cruises (those sailing within 2 or 4 months)? IF YOU DO IT SOONER YOU WILL HAVE A LARGER NUMBER OF CABINS AVAILABLE, BUT IT DEPENDS ON THE CRUISE AND HOW QUICKLY BALCONIES ARE BOOKING.  KEEP AN EYE ON IT THEN JUMP ON AN UPGRADE IF IT LOOKS LIKE THE BALCONY POOL IS SHRINKING 

4. On a cruise taken earlier this year and booked a couple years ago, I had NCL do repricing 3 times which resulted in substantial savings.  If initial booking is done using point redemption for a stateroom upgrade, if there are future price reductions can guest still call win and have this applied?  IT IS GETS TRICKIER AFTER YOU HAVE UPGRADED WITH POINTS.  IN YEARS PAST IT WAS EASY TO GET A PRICE ADJUSTMENT, LATELY THEY HAVE A PLETHORA OF “REASONS” TO NOT ALLOW IT.

5. If plans change and cruise needs to be cancelled before final payment is due, would points used for cabin upgrade be reinstated to my account?  YES, ALTHOUGH THE VERBAGE SAYS REINSTATEMENT IS DISCRETIONARY, IVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THAT, AND I E CANCELLED PLENTY SINCE COVID.

Thanks!!!!

• Like 1