NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

6 hours ago, WYB! said:

Just wondering, as BoA worldpoint have an expiration of about 4 years, has anyone ever earned or redeemed enough points for the 7-Day Caribbean Or 7-Day Mexican Riviera Cruise For Two?
I myself have not but just wondering who has earned enough points in a 4 year time frame.
227,900 world points would mean that you spent about $76,000 over 4 years or $19,000 per year on NCL using the BoA card.

- WYB

Inside Stateroom 137,900
Oceanview Stateroom 157,900
Balcony Stateroom 227,900

I was on track preCovid to do just that.  I had no intention of actually using the points that way, but I had accumulated quite a few.  My intention was to use them for upgrades when I thought pricing for balcony cabins was too high.  I had been fortunate to keep finding deals and price drops so never had to use them.  Fast forward to a post Covid world with an introduction to CAS and they have come in handy.  I have upgraded several times.  I certainly wouldn't waste points on a 7 day cruise I don't care where it is going.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WYB! said:

Just wondering, as BoA worldpoint have an expiration of about 4 years, has anyone ever earned or redeemed enough points for the 7-Day Caribbean Or 7-Day Mexican Riviera Cruise For Two?
I myself have not but just wondering who has earned enough points in a 4 year time frame.
227,900 world points would mean that you spent about $76,000 over 4 years or $19,000 per year on NCL using the BoA card.

- WYB

Inside Stateroom 137,900

I haven’t but someone posted very recen fly about redeeming for a cruise.  I don’t recall if it was on this thread or not, but it can be done.  Maybe if you search for it you can glean so,e information from her post.  It may have been on a social site but I don’t go there very often, so I’m thinking it was here.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:15 AM, WYB! said:

- WYB

Inside Stateroom 137,900

I have several times over the years when looking to do the Caribbean but I also used the card for business so had almost 2 million miles at one point. Still have a couple hundred thousand despite being retired.

I have also used the OBC option as well on the free cruise. 

Cabin upgrade is your best option 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, molsiesmom said:

Hello, I am thinking of applying for this mastercard.    I was wondering if there would be any benefit to wait until I am on board to apply?  Final payment on this cruise has already been made. 

To my knowledge there is no advantage to waiting until you are onboard.  If you can snag the 25K points instead of 20K I would suggest you go for it.  

• Like 1

Unlike the Carnival card,  which last time we were on a CCL cruise, advertised some OBC for applying, NCL does not do that.  As a matter of fact, I’ve never seen any advertisements for the card on NCL ships at all.  Apply for the card soon, get it before you sail and get trip,e points for your onboard charges.

• Like 1

My apologies in advance If this topic has already been discussed in this form, but I am wondering if anyone has ever used MasterCard reward points to do an accessible cabin upgrade. TIA

Edited by DLSad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aliely said:

My apologies in advance If this topic has already been discussed in this form, but I am wondering if anyone has ever used MasterCard reward points to do an accessible cabin upgrade. TIA

I have not. I would think you would need to request the upgrade very early because of the limited number of accessible cabins. Although, I have heard of pax booked in an accessible cabin when they don’t need one being moved to another cabin. I hope someone who has done it is able to provide a more knowledgeable answer. 

I agree with BeaumontBarbie.  If you are booking closer to sailing you might have a problem, but if you have a PCC they might be able to assist you,although the PCCs and WP are in separate worlds, they may have some influence.  Before calling I would look at availability of your desired cabin (are you wanting to move to anOV or BAL) and see if any are showing.  Remember that not all available cabins always show on the website, if none show call your PCC or TA, who can see all available and get cabin numbers of available cabins.  Then look at the deck plan and see which is most desirable for you and list them in order of preference.  Then call WP and see what happens.  At least you will enter your conversation well armed with information.   And if a cabin is truly not available, your points transfer is not complete until you have chosen a cabin.   Let us know how it works out, please

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I agree with BeaumontBarbie.  If you are booking closer to sailing you might have a problem, but if you have a PCC they might be able to assist you,although the PCCs and WP are in separate worlds, they may have some influence.  Before calling I would look at availability of your desired cabin (are you wanting to move to anOV or BAL) and see if any are showing.  Remember that not all available cabins always show on the website, if none show call your PCC or TA, who can see all available and get cabin numbers of available cabins.  Then look at the deck plan and see which is most desirable for you and list them in order of preference.  Then call WP and see what happens.  At least you will enter your conversation well armed with information.   And if a cabin is truly not available, your points transfer is not complete until you have chosen a cabin.   Let us know how it works out, please

What you have suggested was already my plan, but I really appreciate your replies. We do have a PCC and will be contacting her. She is very good at locating and helping us secure accessible cabins, as she has for our previous six cruises on NCL. I was just hoping someone may have already done this in the past and could tell me how it went. I'll report back when we have more information. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:54 PM, Beaumont Barbie said:

I have not. I would think you would need to request the upgrade very early because of the limited number of accessible cabins. Although, I have heard of pax booked in an accessible cabin when they don’t need one being moved to another cabin. I hope someone who has done it is able to provide a more knowledgeable answer. 

How well I know that people who don't need them book accessible cabins and take them away from those of us who do! I also know NCL will supposedly move people who do this but I have never heard of it actually happening...

• Like 1

Go to the BOA website. Log into your account.  Click on the REWARDS tab. On the far right hand side of the page will be an ad usually with a tropical scene or cruise ship in it (it varies) and says NCL.  Click on that.  It gives you options for ways to redeem, cash, upgrades, cruises, and there may be another choice, but it’s very usable from there out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Go to the BOA website. Log into your account.  Click on the REWARDS tab. On the far right hand side of the page will be an ad usually with a tropical scene or cruise ship in it (it varies) and says NCL.  Click on that.  It gives you options for ways to redeem, cash, upgrades, cruises, and there may be another choice, but it’s very usable from there out.

I never would have thought to click on an ad!!!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

I never would have thought to click on an ad!!!!

Well, I don’t think it’s actually an ad, but it looks like one.  Can’t remember haven’t paid attention to what it says recently, that’s just where I click for info.  But that’s not often because I just call the WP desk when I want to upgrade.  I prefer talking to a person.

• Like 1

I had to cash in some of my points a month ago so that I wouldn't lose them. I was at 60,000 and I'm not quite sure what there is now but it's enough for a single meta upgrade. At this point the cruise date that would work for us is at the end of Sept. The Inside cabin is a lot less than the outside but the balcony is only like $200 more than the Outside. Can I use the single meta to upgrade to the outside and then pay to upgrade from the outside to a balcony?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karinad said:

I had to cash in some of my points a month ago so that I wouldn't lose them. I was at 60,000 and I'm not quite sure what there is now but it's enough for a single meta upgrade. At this point the cruise date that would work for us is at the end of Sept. The Inside cabin is a lot less than the outside but the balcony is only like $200 more than the Outside. Can I use the single meta to upgrade to the outside and then pay to upgrade from the outside to a balcony?

Yes but your base will be what you paid for the inside.

So book outside and single up to balcony.  That's 30000 points.

60000 is good for inside to balcony 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes but your base will be what you paid for the inside.

So book outside and single up to balcony.  That's 30000 points.

60000 is good for inside to balcony 

Thank you! I know that I could book an outside and go up to a balcony for 30,000 but there's little difference in price from the outside to a balcony so it's not worth it to use 30,000 for it. There is a big difference in the inside to outside, for example: inside is $699. outside is $1169. balcony is $1269. If I used my 30,000 to upgrade inside to outside and then wanted to upgrade with cash from outside to balcony, can I do that?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, karinad said:

Thank you! I know that I could book an outside and go up to a balcony for 30,000 but there's little difference in price from the outside to a balcony so it's not worth it to use 30,000 for it. There is a big difference in the inside to outside, for example: inside is $699. outside is $1169. balcony is $1269. If I used my 30,000 to upgrade inside to outside and then wanted to upgrade with cash from outside to balcony, can I do that?

As already stated, your base will be what you paid, not the value of the upgrade.  So you would still be paying the difference in price from the inside to balcony and your points would be useless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

As already stated, your base will be what you paid, not the value of the upgrade.  So you would still be paying the difference in price from the inside to balcony and your points would be useless.

Thank you! I think my way sounds fairer. LOL!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

If I understood you, you said you had 60,00O expiring.  If you do not do a double meta (inside to balcony you will lose 30,000 points.  Unless you are planning to do a statement credit or OBC with the other 30,000.  Or did I misunderstand the situation?

I did have the 60000 for a double meta but did not have a cruise to put it on. I went into my points to see how many points were expiring in June and July and cashed them in for a check worth $100. I still have more than 30000 points for a single upgrade. I now have a cruise in mind that works for my dates. There's a big difference in price from inside to outside so that could work for the single meta. If I wanted to upgrade once I was booked in the outside, can I pay the difference in price to upgrade to balcony?  I hope that explains it better. From what others have answered,  not really. I'd lose my 30000 points that I used for a single meta from inside to outside..

• Like 1