NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Cruise Fair: $2205

Paid Deposit: $500

Sent NCL 4 Compass rewards, $2000 total

5 weeks no refund of the difference.

I was expecting to see a $295 credit on the credit card.

Should I wait or call the TA or Call NCL?

Thanks.

I would call the TA and NCL.... You should have your credit by now. If you sent them directly to NCL, then call NCL. If you TA handled them then deal with your TA. Did you keep copies of the certs? When are you sailing?

Sigh. It's Saturday and I'm sitting at home instead of on the transatlantic cruise. In the end it was just too short notice for the things I would have had to do before I left. It did seem that it wouldn't have been a problem to use my certificates so that's good at least. As of right now, it doesn't look like I'll be using them before they expire which kind of sucks, but hey what are you going to do? I do have a week in Orlando planned for next month and a cruise in August so I'll still get away this summer.

HoosierCountour- Were you told that you would definitely be getting the credit on your card for the difference? The reason I ask is that I assumed that I would get the difference either in the form of an on board credit or a credit to my card but I was told by NCL that if I don't use all of the $500 I'd lose whatever was left over.

Sigh. It's Saturday and I'm sitting at home instead of on the transatlantic cruise. In the end it was just too short notice for the things I would have had to do before I left. It did seem that it wouldn't have been a problem to use my certificates so that's good at least. As of right now, it doesn't look like I'll be using them before they expire which kind of sucks, but hey what are you going to do? I do have a week in Orlando planned for next month and a cruise in August so I'll still get away this summer

Do you just have one $500 certificate or more? You do know that while you must book and send in the certificates by the expiration date on the certificates, you may sail through January 2011. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ If you are sure you can't use the certificates this year (perhaps a short three/four day from Orlando at the end of your trip there :), Maybe you could book a short cruise for next year, even if you have to cancel it at the end of the year... The deposit would be refundable, as long as you are outside the cancelation period when if you cancel. Hate to see the certificates go to waste... Have you looked at any of these for this year, since you are in Virginia, and sailing out of Baltimore might eliminate the need for airfare:

Prices from $539 5-Day Bermuda Round-trip Baltimore

Details and Availability Ship: Norwegian Majesty

Embarkation Port: Baltimore

Ports of call: Baltimore; St. George's

2009: Aug 23

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $539 Oceanview - $579 Balcony - Not Available Suite - $899 Prices from $679 7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Baltimore

2009: May 24, May 31, Jun 7, Jun 14, Jun 21, Jun 28, Jul 5, Jul 12, Jul 19, Jul 26, Aug 2, Aug 9, Aug 16

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $679 Oceanview - $729 Balcony - Not Available Suite - $1,649

Edited by c breeze
Addition

Do you just have one $500 certificate or more? You do know that while you must book and send in the certificates by the expiration date on the certificates, you may sail through January 2011. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ If you are sure you can't use the certificates this year (perhaps a short three/four day from Orlando at the end of your trip there :), Maybe you could book a short cruise for next year, even if you have to cancel it at the end of the year... The deposit would be refundable, as long as you are outside the cancelation period when if you cancel. Hate to see the certificates go to waste... Have you looked at any of these for this year, since you are in Virginia, and sailing out of Baltimore might eliminate the need for airfare:

Prices from $539 5-Day Bermuda Round-trip Baltimore

2009: Aug 23

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $539 Oceanview - $579 Balcony - Not Available Suite - $899 Prices from $679 7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Baltimore

2009: May 24, May 31, Jun 7, Jun 14, Jun 21, Jun 28, Jul 5, Jul 12, Jul 19, Jul 26, Aug 2, Aug 9, Aug 16

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $679 Oceanview - $729 Balcony - Not Available Suite - $1,649

Wow, there are some nice people here on CC! I really appreciate all the thought and work you put into your post.

I was under the impression that only the final Compass Rewards Certificates issued could sail until January 2011. On my certificate the expiration date is 28 June 2009 and it states in several places that the sailing must take place before the expiration date listed. Did NCL/BoA extend the 2011 date to all not yet used certificates when the program ended? It's entirely possible that they did and I missed that news, it would be great for me if that's the case!

Thanks again :)

Oh, I only have one $500 certificate!

Edited by cruiser82
added additional info

Wow, there are some nice people here on CC! I really appreciate all the thought and work you put into your post.

I was under the impression that only the final Compass Rewards Certificates issued could sail until January 2011. On my certificate the expiration date is 28 June 2009 and it states in several places that the sailing must take place before the expiration date listed. Did NCL/BoA extend the 2011 date to all not yet used certificates when the program ended? It's entirely possible that they did and I missed that news, it would be great for me if that's the case!

Thanks again :)

Oh, I only have one $500 certificate!

Oooooooowwwwwww...... Sorry! I sjust assumed that you had gotten the cert at the close of the program. (You know what they say about assume... :D) If your certificate has an epiration date of June 28 of 2009, then yes, the sailing must take place before that date. If you could manage to get off work and find someone to travel with, I would still keep my eye on these Majesty cruises to Bermuda out of Baltimore... The May 31 sailing has the lowest prices currently, but that could change.

7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Baltimore

2009: May 24, May 31, Jun 7, Jun 14, Jun 21

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $679 Oceanview - $729 Balcony

No worries, I know you were just trying to help! Thanks again for the Majesty info, I'm going to look into that. I'd hate to see the certificate go to waste!

That's a lot of waste. I would try to catch a short cruise of some sorts to not lose $500. :D

That's a lot of waste. I would try to catch a short cruise of some sorts to not lose $500. :D

Well, I didn't charge anything on my card to get the points that I wouldn't have charged anyway so I don't see it as losing $500, if that makes sense. And for what it would cost for me to go on a cruise (short or otherwise) including gratuities, possibly air and ground transportation could cost more than the value of the certificate since I would most likely be cruising solo. I've looked at the Majesty cruise c breeze so kindly posted, plus a 4 night on the Sky (even though I took that cruise in October) so I might end up booking one of those.

No worries, I know you were just trying to help! Thanks again for the Majesty info, I'm going to look into that. I'd hate to see the certificate go to waste!

Also...not sure if you are closer to Baltimore or Charleston...

Prices from $599 6-Day Bermuda Round-trip Charleston

Embarkation Port: Charleston

Ports of call: Charleston; St. George's

2009: May 16

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $599 Oceanview - $699 Balcony

Prices from $699 7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Charleston

2009: May 2, May 9

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $699 Oceanview - $749 Balcony

Also...not sure if you are closer to Baltimore or Charleston...

Prices from $599 6-Day Bermuda Round-trip Charleston

2009: May 16

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $599 Oceanview - $699 Balcony

Prices from $699 7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Charleston

2009: May 2, May 9

Cruise Fares From:

Inside - $699 Oceanview - $749 Balcony

You're so kind for doing this! Charleston would probably be within a reasonable driving distance but Baltimore is definitely the preferred option since it's closer :)

You're so kind for doing this! Charleston would probably be within a reasonable driving distance but Baltimore is definitely the preferred option since it's closer :)

No problem. If you do decide to go to Bermuda, you do not need to spend any money on tours or taxis. Just by a one, two, or three day transportation pass which is good on all the buses and ferries. It is very easy to get around using the buses and ferries and people are very helpful. In St George, you can walk to Tobacco Bay 9not the best beach in Bermuda) if you are in good shape, or uses the buses (change in Hamilton) to get to the South Shore beaches. Just make sure you are covered up on the bus (put shorts and a top over your bathing suit. :)

Good luck!

I apologize ahead of time - I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a zillion times. This thread is getting overwhelming with all of the info and responses!

I have one $500 off certificate and one 100 points Cat Upgrade cert.

I did read on the main basic facts page that "Discount Certificates are good towards final payment on any booked fare. You may book directly with NCL or with the TA of your choosing."

We are contemplating Baltics cruise late August, party of 3. I would like to use Cruise Compete to search for the best cruise fare. I'm assuming I would not be able to use the Category upgrade if I book with a TA thru Cruise Compete?

Thank you for your patience with this question and any guidance.

Recap:

I booked a cruise thru an online TA. I paid the $500 deposit via AMEX. I sent $2k worth of compass reward certificates to NCL accounting. They received the certificates and credited it to my account. Three times now I have confirmed that my account shows a payment of $2500. The cruise only cost $2195.00. So I am expecting to receive a $305 credit for the difference since I paid for the deposit.

1st call to NCL: We can't look at your reservation, because you booked it with a TA, call your TA.

1st call to TA: We show that you have made a $500 deposit, and since your cruise isn't until Jan. 2010, final payment isn't due until Oct. 09.

2nd call to NCL: Gave reservation number to ask questions, they COULD look at my reservation. They acknowledge receipt of my $2k compass rewards and credit towards my account, $2500 total payment. I asked when I would get a refund of the difference. They transfered me to accounting. They said that the cruise cost $2405. So when would I receive the credit back to my credit card, she said call MBNA and gave me a phone number. I said that I paid $2195 and it should be more like a $305 credit, she said call your travel agent.

3rd call to NCL: Asked for accounting directly, they transfered me. They said that I would forfeit the difference between what the cruise cost and what I paid. I said that was not acceptable since I PAID $500 along with $2k compass rewards. She said the person who handles this was unavailable, call my TA. UGH!

Will they at least credit the difference between the $2500 and $2195 to OBC, so I can pay my service fees, or is this a lost cause?

Edited by HoosierContour

Recap:

I booked a cruise thru an online TA. I paid the $500 deposit via AMEX. I sent $2k worth of compass reward certificates to NCL accounting. They received the certificates and credited it to my account. Three times now I have confirmed that my account shows a payment of $2500. The cruise only cost $2195.00. So I am expecting to receive a $305 credit for the difference since I paid for the deposit.

1st call to NCL: We can't look at your reservation, because you booked it with a TA, call your TA.

1st call to TA: We show that you have made a $500 deposit, and since your cruise isn't until Jan. 2010, final payment isn't due until Oct. 09.

2nd call to NCL: Gave reservation number to ask questions, they COULD look at my reservation. They acknowledge receipt of my $2k compass rewards and credit towards my account, $2500 total payment. I asked when I would get a refund of the difference. They transfered me to accounting. They said that the cruise cost $2405. So when would I receive the credit back to my credit card, she said call MBNA and gave me a phone number. I said that I paid $2195 and it should be more like a $305 credit, she said call your travel agent.

3rd call to NCL: Asked for accounting directly, they transfered me. They said that I would forfeit the difference between what the cruise cost and what I paid. I said that was not acceptable since I PAID $500 along with $2k compass rewards. She said the person who handles this was unavailable, call my TA. UGH!

Will they at least credit the difference between the $2500 and $2195 to OBC, so I can pay my service fees, or is this a lost cause?

This is why I will NOT send more compass awards then I have a balance to pay. I will book another cruise instead. I sent $1000 for my May cruise. I still have $1000 plus two upgrades which I will only send one for my Oct. cruise since I only have a $800 balance.

Will save the final $500 to book a cruise next year as I know I will anyway.:D

I will. I saw your earlier post about your own concerns. This was not a problem in 2006 with BPC. I should not have switched TAs to 'n-more for this booking. BPC allowed me to send in the certificates without the deposit. When NCL applied the Compass rewards back then, then BPC charged me the difference, around $200. 'n-more wanted there deposit up front. I read about how people have gotten credit back in the past. So I went ahead and booked with 'n-more to save the $100. I am gonna give it some time, I hope to here back from TA at 'n-more.

So I got a call back from a NCL representative. I went thru the entire dialogue with her. She said she is not supposed to look at a reservation from an outside agency, saying the TA gets mad and she could get in trouble. So she lowered her voice while reading me the reservation over the phone. She told me how much the travel agency paid for the cruise. BUT that still doesn't tell me why I have not received credit back for the deference. She first said that compass rewards could not be applied toward taxes and fees. Then she said that I had better talk to my TA and have her call accounting. She did say $2500 was credited to this account. She could not see the difference between the $2k compass rewards, and $500 deposit, just $2500.

I called my TA and she said that she won't call accounting to work it out. And that she hates dealing with compass rewards. I placed a reservation over the internet, so I did not book this directly with her but was assigned. Who gets the commission is anyones guess. I won't book with 'n-more. I will go back to BPC. Her last statement was that normally compass rewards are not applied and the difference refunded until 30 days before sailing, the earliest she has seen is 60 days, ie when final payment is made. She said the compass rewards will not be applied until final payment is due.

Still waiting....

Grrrrrr. Highly annoying. Seems like they keep changing the "rules" as they go along. I have never heard the one about compass rewards not being applied until 30 to 60 days before you cruise. So if the compass rewards haven't been applied yet, why does your account show a credit of $2500?

Keep paving the way for me Hoosier!

I guess the one good thing for me is that my TA is a neighbor of mine so if they insist on talking to the TA, I can just hand her the phone and tell her what to say.

Thought I would post an update. I still have not received my Compass Rewards certificates! As suggested here on the boards, I called NCL, then per their direction mailed them my year end statements showing the points accumulated, let them know my final payment is due in June, and that I should be receiving $1000.00 in certificates. I sent it certified mail, and it was received at the address they told me to send it to on April 6th.

After not hearing from them, I called and spent over an hour on the phone with several different people, having to call back several times to different numbers and persons as I got passed around. I went back to this board and called a number posted here, and finally got to someone who said she would give the information to her supervisor and I would get a call within a week.

After reading threads about people receiving postcards when they sent something to NCL, and getting calls, e-mails and mailings from NCL with advertising, I am beginning to think I have been put into "file 13".

My question is this: has anyone ever called or e-mailed a high-level executive at NCL with good results? Would this be my best bet? I know a week has not passed, but I am getting nervous. Does anyone have contact information for someone I should talk to?????????

Am I the only person not to get my certificates yet? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My rewards were part of the "glitch" they had however I received them day before I was to send all credit card info. I can't remember if it is BOA or NCL who are responsible for sending the certificates. My friend got hers right 1st time around.

Thought I would post an update. I still have not received my Compass Rewards certificates! As suggested here on the boards' date=' I called NCL, then per their direction mailed them my year end statements showing the points accumulated, let them know my final payment is due in June, and that I should be receiving $1000.00 in certificates. I sent it certified mail, and it was received at the address they told me to send it to on April 6th.

After not hearing from them, I called and spent over an hour on the phone with several different people, having to call back several times to different numbers and persons as I got passed around. I went back to this board and called a number posted here, and finally got to someone who said she would give the information to her supervisor and I would get a call within a week.

After reading threads about people receiving postcards when they sent something to NCL, and getting calls, e-mails and mailings from NCL with advertising, I am beginning to think I have been put into "file 13".

My question is this: has anyone ever called or e-mailed a high-level executive at NCL with good results? Would this be my best bet? I know a week has not passed, but I am getting nervous. Does anyone have contact information for someone I should talk to?????????

Am I the only person not to get my certificates yet? :eek::eek::eek::eek:[/quote']

This info was posted earlier in this thread. I know at least one person (not me) emailed the BOA CEO. Good lunck!

Here's the CEO's address:

ken.d.lewis@bankofamerica.com

Mr. Kenneth D. Lewis

Chairman, CEO and President

Bank of America

100 N. Tryon Street.

Mail Code NC-1-007-18-01

Charlotte, NC 28255

http://consumerist.com/consumer/phon...ons-259194.php

http://www.yellowpages.com/name/Char...ank-of-America

• 2 weeks later...

I got the following from NCL today. Probably many of you did too. It says 4x the points but the example has only 2x the points. What's up with that????

Limited Time Offer.

Book any NCL cruise between now and May 31, 2009, using your NCL MasterCard credit card with WorldPoints rewards and receive four times the points. For example, if you spend $2,000, you'll earn 8,000 points instead of the usual 4,000 points. It's the Freestyle way to earn points, all for simply using your credit card.

I got that message too. I need to pay for my cruise on Monday...wonder if that will generate the extra points? The most I could hope for might be some $$ on my onboard account. I never called to have one of my utilities automatically charged to a different card so I might as well take advantage to the double or whatever bonus points they want to give us at least until I get to a level that will give me something back.

I just got around to opening a letter from NCL BOA that explains changes to our accounts. Did anyone else notice the new "foreign transaction" fees? Has this always been there?

As I read this, every transaction processed outside the US (like on my upcoming Bermuda cruise) will automatically have a fee added that is 3% of the total transaction.

Did I miss this before?

Sea Hound:D