Need accomodation recommendations - Barossa Valley and Adelaide

whynotnow

We plan on staying 2 nights in the Barossa Valley and then 3 nights in Adelaide in April, 2008. Would appreciate any recommendations on where to stay.

If you know of some great restaurants in either area, that would be a help too.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Adelaide's CBD. We found it to be very convenient to public transportation and/or walking distance to shopping, dining, etc. Right behind the Hilton is Adelaide's Central Market, a wonderful warehouse of vendors of all sorts, both retail sales of merchandise and foodstuffs, as well as a food court. One street over from the Hilton is Gouger Street, which is like a restaurant row. Restaurants of every ethnicity you could want; Indian, Chinese, Thai, Argentinian, Japanese, etc, as well as many seafood restaurants.

Thank you very much for your information on Adelaide restaurants and the Hilton Hotel. The hotel sounds like it's in an ideal location and from the hotel website it sounds like an ideal place to stay. Being in walking distance to restaurants, shopping, etc. is especially appealing.

Having lived in Glenelg in 2000/2001 (while working in Adelaide) I would definitely recommend a visit. It is a lovely holiday town with lots of interesting shops and restaurants along Jetty Rd. Enjoy your stay...I'm sure you will!

Red II

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've made some changes in the Adelaide portion of our trip.

Our original plan was to get a rental car when we flew into Adelaide, then drive up to the Barossa Valey for 2 nights, with the remaining 3 nights being in Adelaide.

I emailed for info. on a cottage in the Barossa Valley; giving our arrival date and departure and received a response a day later. 1 day after that I emailed back to book and confirmed with my credit card. They responded a day later, telling me the rate for our stay was being increased by $20. per night. Not much in the scheme of things, but after receiving pricing and booking within 24 hours, it left a bad impression. I immediately cancelled.

We then decided to also cancel our rental car and stay in Adelaide for our entire 5 nights. I had narrowed our stay to 2 hotels and chose the Holiday Inn when I got an excellent rate on it. It's gotten wonderful reviews on several websites and the location seems to be very good.

Really looking forward to this portion of our month long trip. We love Australian wines and are excited to be able to visit wineries in the Barossa Valley and also McLaren Vale.

Thank you all for your input.

Archived