Haines tours

Jennifer31

Hi

I will be in Skagway for almost 13 hours. I am trying to figure out what to do. Last time in Skagway, I did the White Pass train. I am not interested in doing that again. I want to see something new.

RCCL has a couple of tours over to Haines. I did not seeing anything that interested me. I was told that bears can be seen around Chilkoot River in Haines. Is there an independent tour that would allow me to see bears. Any other ideas for exercusions to Haines.

Thanks

Jennifer

Not sure I have your answer. We will be in Skagway for same amount of time on July 30th. We are thinking about catching the fast ferry over to Haines around noon or one and just walking around to see the town. Trouble is the ferry won't commit to added trips until three days before I was told. So we will see if we can do it. We have car reserved in Skagway for early morning.

I did find a site with Haines info that might be of help.

http://www.haines.ak.us

Hi

I will be in Skagway for almost 13 hours. I am trying to figure out what to do. Last time in Skagway, I did the White Pass train. I am not interested in doing that again. I want to see something new.

RCCL has a couple of tours over to Haines. I did not seeing anything that interested me. I was told that bears can be seen around Chilkoot River in Haines. Is there an independent tour that would allow me to see bears. Any other ideas for exercusions to Haines.

Thanks

Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer. Since we'd been to Skagway 4 times, this year we decided to try Haines. We went on the Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4X4 and had a great time!

http://takshanuktrail.com/

Try doing a search of "takshanuk" and you'll find a few reviews of this excursion.

The usual answer: depends on your interests.

If nothing more in Skagway interests you, Haines is certainly an option.

Haines is a 'real' AK town, which can be both good and bad for a tourist dropping in a for day. There's not a lot of shopping or big, splashy attractions. It takes some work to make plans; there's no line of excursion booths at the dock. But it's quiet, uncrowded, with a beautiful setting.

Visiting Haines is a rare chance to tour a Native village, Klukwan. There's two companies listed on the Haines website under tours.

Hi

Thanks

Jennifer

Bears are just about never seen cruise season due to Haines having one of the latest salmon runs and the Chilkoot River loaded with fisherman. So don't count on any bear sightings.

I have been to Haines several times. Be sure you are up for walking, although, "rides" are given sometimes, very friendly town, sometimes not. From the ferry dock, it's 1/4 mile to town, then more walking depending on where you wish to go. http://www.visithaines.com

One very nice tour option are the Chilkoot River float trips. I don't see anything special about the kayak trips since they only paddle around the lake and they are costly.

Archived