Miami transportation and hotel advice

smithy0809

We are looking for a Miami hotel that offers shuttle service from airport to hotel and hotel to port. We have two small children - ages 3 and 5. Taxis are not an option, as we are not going to be taking car seats.

Any other transportation suggestions?

Also we are cruising in November - should we book now?

Thanks for your help.

Your best bet would be to book the Raddisson in Downtown Miami. I know it has a shuttle to the port and probably from the airport as well. It is a few blocks from the port so you don't have to stress about fighting Miami traffic down there. I have never stayed there as I live in Miami but that seems like the best option. There is also a Hyatt nearby which I assume has shuttle service but I have heard it is pricey. Good luck,

We are looking for a Miami hotel that offers shuttle service from airport to hotel and hotel to port. We have two small children - ages 3 and 5. Taxis are not an option, as we are not going to be taking car seats.

Any other transportation suggestions?

Also we are cruising in November - should we book now?

Thanks for your help.

I've never seen a hotel shuttle that had car seats. Would a shuttle be safer?

I've stayed at that Radisson in Miami. I would not recommend that hotel. We had a lot of problems, and we only stayed one night. Maybe things have changed, but I wouldn't go back.

You may want to rethink the cab. A lot of companies now have those mini-van types of cabs.

Incidentally I've stayed at the Hyatt on 2d Ave several times. Can definitely recommend that hotel.

Have fun.

I just re-read your post. Not quite sure why you don't trust the cabs with kids. Maybe rethink this? Just a thought. I think this will open up more transportation options.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do when you get to the ports?

I also wanted to reply to your question about whether or not you should book now if you're cruising in November. Good luck. Although you're off season, most cruises book about two years out.

I would find the cruise first and think about transportation second.

Sorry about so many replies, but I hope I've helped.

I am glad Dathy has stayed at the Radisson since my recommendation was based solely on convenience and not any knowledge of the hotel itself. There are at least 10 or so hotels in that area that you could stay at but again make sure it has the amenities you need. You can Google "Port of Miami Hotels" and you will find a site that maps out the hotels in the area. The Intercontental and Holiday Inn are right by the Port too but I don' think they shuttle. It is such a short ride to the Port though that transportation should not be a big issue.

If you are cruising in November you should be able to find a cruise but the earlier you book the better chance you have of getting one of the better cabins and you can usaually lock in a better rate. Sometimes there are last minute bargains but I wouldn't risk it as cruises do fill up and can get very expensive if you wait too long.

Thanks for all the responses and I am now getting my head around cabs that are equipped to handle small kids (car seats, etc.).

Our cruise is booked - Carnival Triumph - the confusion (my fault) is regarding whether we should book the hotel now.

We have stayed at the LaQuinta Airport East on Lejuene Road the night before a cruise. It has a free airport shuttle & free shuttle to the port. It is your standard LaQuinta hotel, but it was definitely nice enough for the one night. There is not much of anything around it except a Bennigans, which is in the front of the parking lot. We ate there for dinner. The hotel provided breakfast. I think it was an Embassy Suites that was next door. We will be staying at the LaQuinta, again, in December. Various discounts are offered like AAA, Sams Club, etc. The rates are reasonable. Good luck with your search!

Adding to the book your hotel now advice. We are cruising the NCL Pearl Oct. 28. I had a very hard time finding a hotel for the night before. Several of the hotels closer to the port are sold out for that date and the ones that aren't are $$$$$$$$.

Adding to the book your hotel now advice. We are cruising the NCL Pearl Oct. 28. I had a very hard time finding a hotel for the night before. Several of the hotels closer to the port are sold out for that date and the ones that aren't are $$$$$$$$.

The intercontinental downtown price for the night before 28th is Total:$158.73

That's your taxes included.Go to Lastminutetravel.com.Type maimi and select downtown it will be first off record hotel with no picutre and is 5 stars.

Carnival Liberty 2/26/06

Carnival Freedom 12/1/07

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon in Miami which is a few miles from the port. Here is the link to all the options: http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/search/newresults.jhtml;jsessionid=R51CWEBZBN32KCSGBIXM22Q?statusMsg=status_success.jhtml&searchType=city&&it=Find,city&_requestid=15250

They have a free shuttle that will pick you up at the airport. And for $10pp they have a shuttle that will take you to the port. Or you can simply take a cab. Good luck!

We're staying at the Hampton Blue Lagoon too - BF and I are getting different flights into Miami, so with the free shuttle it means we can each go back to the hotel when we land.

Looked at tripadvisor for some of the hotels near the Port mentioned on other threads, and got a bit scared by what I was reading!

Thanks kiwiwoman for the info about the transfers to the port from the Hampton - really helpful!

We're staying at the Hampton Blue Lagoon too - BF and I are getting different flights into Miami, so with the free shuttle it means we can each go back to the hotel when we land.

Looked at tripadvisor for some of the hotels near the Port mentioned on other threads, and got a bit scared by what I was reading!

Thanks kiwiwoman for the info about the transfers to the port from the Hampton - really helpful!

I looked at tripadvisor also for several hotel options in Miami, it's very enlightening. The Hampton has never disappointed us and the rates are very good. We don't care about having room service, concierge, etc. And you get breakfast free! Also, after making a reservation, I checked back on the room price and it was $20 less than before. Therefore I took advantage of that!:)

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon in Miami which is a few miles from the port. Here is the link to all the options: http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/search/newresults.jhtml;jsessionid=R51CWEBZBN32KCSGBIXM22Q?statusMsg=status_success.jhtml&searchType=city&&it=Find,city&_requestid=15250

They have a free shuttle that will pick you up at the airport. And for $10pp they have a shuttle that will take you to the port. Or you can simply take a cab. Good luck!

I'm doing exactly the same. I chosed the Hampton because I never could find a bad review about them & had just the amenities I was looking for.

I've stayed at that Radisson in Miami. I would not recommend that hotel. We had a lot of problems, and we only stayed one night. Maybe things have changed, but I wouldn't go back.

You may want to rethink the cab. A lot of companies now have those mini-van types of cabs.

Incidentally I've stayed at the Hyatt on 2d Ave several times. Can definitely recommend that hotel.

Have fun.

May I ask what happened that you would not return to the Radisson? I have this hotel booked through Hotwire but am now having second thoughts. If it's that bad, I'll eat the 70 some dollars and book somewhere else.

Archived