Grandeur of the Seas 8/10

This is my first post and I am anxious for some info. We are going on Grandeur Aug 10 (9days) and I have been seeing some awful :eek: posts in regards to the condition of the boat, the food, the staff, basically everything. Anyone been on it recently that can give me some info. Even if it is bad, I just want to be prepared for the worst.

This trip is for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We sailed on the Nordic Empress (which is now renamed) for our honeymoon and it was fabulous! Very surprised to see such terrible things about the boat breaking down, food being poor quality, rude staff!!!

This is my first post and I am anxious for some info. We are going on Grandeur Aug 10 (9days) and I have been seeing some awful :eek: posts in regards to the condition of the boat, the food, the staff, basically everything. Anyone been on it recently that can give me some info. Even if it is bad, I just want to be prepared for the worst.

This trip is for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We sailed on the Nordic Empress (which is now renamed) for our honeymoon and it was fabulous! Very surprised to see such terrible things about the boat breaking down, food being poor quality, rude staff!!!

We sailed the Grandeur in January and she was a beautiful, well-maintained ship with a fantastic staff. Service and ameneties were top-notch! Since then, the Grandeur has gone through a drydock and has had many upgrades including new bedding, curtains and some carpeting in the cabins as well as a re-design of the Windjammer Cafe and more new carpet and sprucing up of the public areas.

Don't worry, you'll love the Grandeur!!

Just got off the Grandeur on Sunday (7/8/07) we had a GREAT time the ship is well maintained, clean, the staff were OUTSTANDING & friendly and the food was pretty good. Don't worry!!

I am on this cruise too. I too have basically only seen good posts about the ship, food, etc. The ship condition (reportedly very nice), makes sense since the ship basically just got out of drydock.

Mark

Before our 6/29 cruise, I must have read 50 reviews, 95% positive. I would not worry about the other 5%. The ship is beautiful, clean, and a great crew. The entertainment was exceptional and the menus always offered somthing for everyone, even a picky eater like me. I think if people are looking for the "mega ship" experience with all the alternative dining options, ice-skating, mini-golf etc. they would not enjoy the intimate feeling of the Gradeaur.

I found out a long time ago that no ship pleases everyone. I chalk it up to either some bad experience unrelated to the ship or size preference most of the time.

Grandeur offers good food, great service and a more laid back cruise than the Voyager class ships. There are activities, but you are not overwhelmed by them, the size of the ship or the number of people. Grandeur has lots of glass, giving you a view of the sea from almost every place. We got off her on June 10 and loved the 9 day Canada / New England cruise!

I hope you enjoy her as much as we did.

I sailed on Grandeur with my 80 year old mom last summer, and will sail again in Aug. with my DH. I loved Grandeur -- enough to book a second time! Check out the reviews by "Radio" this week on his cruise on Grandeur to Bermuda.

Sapperson: Welcome to Cruise Critic! We sailed the GOS in May- the second cruise after her dry dock. I thought the ship was in very good shape: the beds were comfy (new bedding throughout the ship), the food was good to excellent (except for the pasta dishes- so avoid these if you're picky about your pasta), the restaurants were clean (as was the whole ship). Virtually all the staff were friendly and very hard-working. Even the coffee was decent- not as bad as I have experienced on most other ships.

Please take all the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Some people love to complain, especially when they can see their names on the Internet. If you want a really picky review- well, I did think some of the chairs in the theater weren't very comfortable (I'm short), so we tried to get there early enough to get the sofa style seating. Also, our friend's ice bucket was smaller than ours, so he had trouble keeping two cans of beer cold at the same time. Picky? Yes!!! Did it ruin our cruise? No!!

You'll have a wonderful cruise!

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, apparently there are two Grandeurs. One, which I've been fortunate enough to sail on twice, and I'm booked for three upcoming cruises, is beautiful, intimate, well maintained, fabulous crew, great food, etc, etc, you can read my two formal reviews by clicking on the links in my sig. For reference purposes, I've also sailed on Mariner and Radiance, so Grandeur is not my only experience. The other Grandeur, ancient rust bucket, lousy crew, with food that sharks wouldn't eat, seems to appear occasionally, according to reviews. Guess I'm just lucky, and I don't believe for a second that I won't love my upcoming cruises.

Sailing on the same cruise also. This is our 4th straight year on the Grandeur. No complaints at all. anyone who didn't enjoy has to have a really good reason but none that I could think of. Everyone on the crew was wonderful. Food was great. Entertainment was also great.Enjoy!!!!

Archived