Best shore excursions, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas???

momonmeds

Hi all,

We will be taking our first cruise ever in December, traveling with an extended family group of 14. Grandpa, and 10 kids ages 2-20!! We are very excited, but trying to make the best use of time and money. We are thinking maybe planning two separate groups each day -- one for the olders (more adventurous), and one for the youngers (more sedate). Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experiences!!

Well, since you are coming in the prime whale watching season, I highly reccomend that. Super for all ages (but minimum is 7). I would book thru the ship...they use Cabo Expeditions. The boats are Zodiac...fast, safe and the guides are fabulous! It would truely be an experience of a lifetime! But book it early since the tours sell out every cruise during whale season (Nov.-March)...book it online as soon as it is available is the best bet. Depending on the cruiseline, there is another tour with a larger boat available...abit more crowded but maybe a better option if wanted to keep group together.

The whale watching zodiacs were great to get up close and personal with the whales. They go very fast at times and the ride can get very bumpy. If you have back problems, it might not be the right boat for you. Let me also say that I have back problems, and I was just fine,probably because the sea was flat that day. If you encounter swells, it might be more bumpy. Anyway, there were people of all ages on our zodiac and we had a great time. The whales are amazing.

Hi all,

We will be taking our first cruise ever in December, traveling with an extended family group of 14. Grandpa, and 10 kids ages 2-20!! We are very excited, but trying to make the best use of time and money. We are thinking maybe planning two separate groups each day -- one for the olders (more adventurous), and one for the youngers (more sedate). Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experiences!!

What cruise line did you decide to take? I would like to plan a cruise with my children in January to Mexico. There would be only six of us. We use to spend a week every February in PV but that was in the 80s. Any suggestions would be helpful? Thanks!

Hi, we are cruising on RCCI Vision of the Seas. We're still contemplating shore excursions but this is what I'm thinking now: Cabo -- glass bottom boat, snorkeling, shopping, eating, Mazatlan -- Randi's horses, Stone Island, PV -- Los Veranos Canopy tour. I'd love to do the dolphins, but we can't really afford it for so many people. Maybe next time!!;) :D I'll have to let you know what we finally decide and how it goes.

Beth

Hi, we are cruising on RCCI Vision of the Seas. We're still contemplating shore excursions but this is what I'm thinking now: Cabo -- glass bottom boat, snorkeling, shopping, eating, Mazatlan -- Randi's horses, Stone Island, PV -- Los Veranos Canopy tour. I'd love to do the dolphins, but we can't really afford it for so many people. Maybe next time!!;) :D I'll have to let you know what we finally decide and how it goes.

Beth

Just a word of warning...I do not advise getting in a water taxi aka glass bottom boat. There was another accident involving a cruise ship passenger on Saturday. An 18 year old girl took a water taxi to the beach. It flipped over in the waves and she was hit in the head by the boat. The last I had on Saturday afternoon, she was in critical condition with not a good prognosis, being air lifted to LA to the hospital. The other accident happened here a few years ago. A water taxi flipped over and there were several deaths.

We did the Mexican Riviera with Princess back in 2004. We're going again in April 2008.

In Puerto Vallarta we took a boat ride to a private resort originally owned by John Huston (the director). I think it's called Las Caletas. It was very nice. We were the only ones there. There was a beach, snorkeling, sea kayaks, hammocks, an orchid garden, and a nice lunch. Very relaxing.

In Cabo, we took a catamaran over to Los Arcos (the arches) and then stopped at a beach. It was also very pleasant - the seas were calm, but cold! We were there in May - so a little late for whales - but we did see 2. This excursion would work for all ages - as long as you're comfortable on a big catamaran.

In Mazatlan, we went to see the Paplanta Flyers show, and then had lunch/swim at a resort area pool. It was pleasant enough, but Mazatlan was our least favorite of the 3 stops. An excursion with the Flyers would be a good excursion for older folks, since you sit and watch the show.

Have fun!

We did Vision last March. I recommend going with Mazatlan Frank's friend Alfredo in Puerto Vallerta. With your numbers, he should be able to put something fun together for you that would take everyone's interests into account. For example, if you do the canopy tour at El Eden, the people not touring can hang out in the restaurant and the natural pools. Although some people have panned the food at the restaurant, we just had light snacks and drinks and thought it was fine.

Alfredo can be reached through Mazatlan Frank.

Viv

Archived