Question about the Fern Grotto in Kauai

cal101

Has anyone been on the Wailua River and Fern Grotto tour recently and can tell me how much of the Grotto is open and is it a worthwhile tour? My TA seems to think that a good part of it has been closed.

We were there in late May. We loved the tour. We hired a car and just turned up. Apparently it has changed a lot. You can no longer walk into the 'cave' area, and there was some dammage to the Furns. But we still had a great time. The tour people are lovley, they give a running comentary on the way and sing to you and give infomation when you get there and then performe for you on the way home. DH even got up and tried the Hula (and that's saying something):eek:

That's correct...you can no longer go right into the cave due to the instability of the surrounding mountains.

They have built a large deck about 100 feet or so in front of the cave that you can stand on and view the cave from.

It is a disappointment if you've visited in the past and remember when you were able to go directly into the cave. However, the river boat ride is still a nice excursion especially for the price.

I've attached a picture of members of the Smith family performing on the deck...hopefully you can get a perspective of the area with the cave in the background.

Best wishes,

Michelle

78410356_FernGrotto.jpg.522549abe6bf6cfbefc132922aff0fc9.jpg

We took this tour a few days ago..I had seen pictures of the Fern Grotto,so although Im glad I went,I was disappointed.I could only imagine the beauty of it. The ride down the river was ok..we were entertained with signing and dancing,so that was nice.Waimea was really nice. Dot

Archived