Caviar & Champagne?

jschutz

OK - I just booked the May 3rd - 11th (2008) Lisbon to Barcelona on the Legend. First trip on Seabourn - so what is the deal on the caviar and champagne? Any time, any where? On the other lines we usually go down before dinner to the "Champagne Bar" for a bottle and caviar appetizer so we are pretty excited about Seabourn. Anyone else on this trip?

OK - I just booked the May 3rd - 11th (2008) Lisbon to Barcelona on the Legend. First trip on Seabourn - so what is the deal on the caviar and champagne? Any time, any where??

Hi...

Realistically, yes....any time, any where.

Champagne by the glass is available at any time. Caviar can be ordered for 1, 2 or 4; I believe that you are "restricted" to a couple of orders a day...if you can live with that! However, I can't imagine that a request would ever be turned down! Service for caviar is always provided through Room Service, whether you call to order it yourself, or you order it in one of the lounges. It takes a little bit o' time, but it's always there for you.

Enjoy your "virgin" SB cruise! Sounds like fun! You'll be spoiled.... :eek: :D ;)

Paul

OK - I just booked the May 3rd - 11th (2008) Lisbon to Barcelona on the Legend. First trip on Seabourn - so what is the deal on the caviar and champagne? Any time, any where? On the other lines we usually go down before dinner to the "Champagne Bar" for a bottle and caviar appetizer so we are pretty excited about Seabourn. Anyone else on this trip?

Mrs. Jack and I are also booked on that particular leg of our cruise. We are also first time Seabourne cruisers. What a lovely way to lose your virginity........caviar. Hope to see you aboard.:D Jack

Thanks. However I was a little surprised at the en suite liquor selection you are able to choose. I thought premium brands would be offered - but certainly not when it comes to bourbon or scotch - in fact no single malt scotch is even on the selection list! Oh well.

Make your en suite liquor choices known to your stateroom attendant when you meet her. If it's in stock on the ship she'll place it in your room that evening at turndown. No reasonable request will be refused, premium or otherwise (I always order JW Black & Grey Goose).

So should I delete my current selections and just wait until we board?

Enter your desired choices on the guest registration form if you want something that isn't on the standard list.

The Club had at least six single malts last winter so you won't go thirsty:D

I find it easiest just to tell the stewardess upon embarkation what I want. It's usually in the suite by evening. Premium brands like Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire and several single malt scotches are all available.

You know on one of Seabourn's cruises I had some caviar (I think at dinner) and it was pretty bitter. I don't remember caviar tasting bitter before (not that I have it very often). May I ask when and if you can order it with the little side dishes, i.e., chopped egg and onion and little toast round things? Is that how it usually comes served? Thanks.

Jane

You know on one of Seabourn's cruises I had some caviar (I think at dinner) and it was pretty bitter. I don't remember caviar tasting bitter before (not that I have it very often). May I ask when and if you can order it with the little side dishes, i.e., chopped egg and onion and little toast round things? Is that how it usually comes served? Thanks.

Jane

Jane..I too have received it caviar when it was not at it's best. I do not like the pre-prepared little canapes. A fresh tin is usually the best and then it is very smooth and lovely. From tin to tin the flavor can vary as well. When a great one is served..it is Mecca. You can always request it at dinner rather than one of the menu items. Usually at the Captains party and the Club party the tins are fresh and wonderful. Lola

Seabourn, like Silversea, is now using American farm bred caviar instead of Sevruga. I asked the chef about this on the Pride in May and he told me that they are now paying the exact same amount for the farm bred as they paid for Sevruga a couple of years ago. Nothing like threat of extinction to raise prices. I am a big caviar fan and I actually found the taste not to be too different.

• 4 weeks later...

I think with the proper amount of champagne, no matter what type of caviar is served will be just fine. We have always done the champagne/caviar bars on other ships virtually every night at sea, at a substantial cost,- a tradition with us, so just hope this complimentary serving(s) don't spoil us to the point that we will never sail any other cruise line other than Seabourn.:D

I have always ordered cavier at the Club before dinner. After a while, it was there waiting for me when I arrived. Just let the staff know your preference and it will be taken care of. You will LOVE your Seabourn cruise like the rest of us.

I have heard Seabourn no longer have Caspian Sea caviar due to higher prices. I believe they now serve some South American sturgeon which tastes no where near as good as the Caspian Sea Servruga. If it is not the real thing - sorry - I'll pass. I know that sounds snobby but it's like comparing apples to oranges. I would rather Seaborn have a Sevruga service charge and I would be more than happy to pay it.

Archived