british airways

Not unless you are Gold Platinum, Polatium Super Duper Elite frequent flyer. This policy, combined with the security hassles of connections in the U.K. is why I have given up flying them.

Paul

We are flying British Airways in Oct to Barcelona from Boston. Is it true you cant get your seat assignment until 23 hours before departure
It's 24 hours before departure, when online check-in opens - I think that all flights now have online check-in opening at least 24 hours before departure time. Some are 25 hours before, although recent experience suggests that this is just the short-hauls.

When you can check in for your first sector, you should be able to check in for every subsequent connecting sector at the same time.

When online check-in opens, there is almost always a very good selection of seats available. So if you make this a priority, you will actually almost certainly do better than on airlines that pre-allocate seats on a first-come, first-served basis.

If we have BA on one leg of a flight booked through Expedia, will we also be able to assign ourselves seats?
If you can check-in online for the BA sector, you will be able to get your seat allocated when you do that.

This policy, combined with the security hassles of connections in the U.K. is why I have given up flying them.
I can understand the security problems, but the problems associated with no seat pre-allocation are overstated - at least at the moment. All of us on CC are reasonably computer literate. Anyone who is computer literate and can get to a computer at 24 hours before departure can get a pretty good seat.

When you are on the BA site make sure you fill in the preflight information like passport number and other travel information because flights to Spain require that before you fly or check in. I had to do it for my Oct flight to Barcelona.

If you have any questions check out the BA board on flyertalk.com, they have answered many questions about my first trip on BA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446

I booked through an online TA for my air and when I went to BA.com this came up on my manage my booking section. I have no idea if you have to if you did it through Expedia, it might not hurt to do so:

Advance Passenger Information requirements for Spain from 13 June 2007trnsp.gif Summary British Airways plans to meet the Advance Passenger Information (API) requirements of the Spanish authorities from 13 June 2007.

trnsp.gif More information This is the first enforcement of its kind on European routes and means that all airlines, including British Airways, will be required to collect specific information from every passenger travelling to Spain. This information is compulsory and is required for the purposes of ensuring aviation safety and security.

Below is a list of the information required:

· Full given names

· Surname

· Nationality

· Date of birth

· Travel document number e.g. passport number

To enter your details into your booking, please use our manage my booking facility.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_us

We are flying from Barcelona to LHR, then LHR to Chicago.. will we also need to fill out the preflight information (we did this on Expedia when we booked)?
BA will need Advance Passenger Information for the London-Chicago sector. So you should access your booking via Manage My Booking on the ba.com website and enter this information when you have it to hand. If Expedia has already provided it to BA, then the BA website will tell you that it's satisfied.

We are flying British Airways in Oct to Barcelona from Boston. Is it true you cant get your seat assignment until 23 hours before departure

We just flew on BA and I was told the same thing about not getting seat assignments until 24 hrs. before. I kept checking my record and they pre-assigned us seats about a month or so in advance. I looked at the seating chart and was perfectly happy with thier choice so I left it. You can change them when you check in online. On the way back we wanted to switch 1 of our seats but had already done online check in.(the hotel did it for us so we could not change it then) they changed it at the airport for us.

Archived