Hal Cruise Helps Cure Shouder Pain

geocruiser

Hi to all,

I posted on another thread that I thought my husband would never step foot on a ship again. We were on Prinsendam this past Jan. and we love it. Then we made a huge mistake. We took a bargain cruise with MSC on Opera.

Well, the reason why he changed his mind was that he felt having a HAL cruise to look forward to would help me deal with the pain of surgery. Joining the Roll Call would keep me busy too. Being able to look forward to a cruise keeps my mind off every thing.

I go in for surgery on 7/20 to repair two totally torn shoulder muscles. I fell in December of last year. Two orthopedic Doctors said it was frozen shoulder (and treated it wrong ) The torn muscles were found on an MRI order by a PA . Now I have a new doctor and a cruise to look forward too.

For me HAL cruise is the best medicine along with Cruise critic.

Geo

GeoCruiser, I hope your surgery goes well, and that you'll be fit as a fiddle for your next HAL cruise:) Are you sure you had to go such a drastic route to get your husband to sail again on HAL?;) :D Gee, I wonder what'll it take to get my husband back on a cruise ship!:eek:

Bon Voyage!

Karin

I go in for surgery on 7/20 to repair two totally torn shoulder muscles.

Boy, do I feel your pain! A cruise is a great thing to have to help dull it. And those HAL beds are WONDERFUL for achy shoulders. My husband and I both have tricky shoulders so we greatly appreciate HAL's beds.

In 1991, I had shoulder pain start while on our first cruise on the Westerdam. Four years and three surgeries later (two scopes, one open repair), my rotator cuff was back in good working order. We've always figured I must have torn it while snorkeling in Tortola. Not a great cruise souvenir, but I haven't let it keep me out of the water!:D

Good luck with your surgery! My advice: Don't cheat. Wear the support. Do your PT, do your PT, do your PT. I got my own PT-grade neoprene ice thingy (great technical term, huh?) and used to sleep with it velcro'ed to me. Heh. (I have issues with pain killers so have to tough it out.) May your recovery be swift.

Robin

To keep this on topic, I love HAL, too. Next one's October 3.

I have a shoulder replacement (metal stem and ball) following a bad fall, and several friends who've had rotator cuff surgery from small to total tears.

I echo the advice of Robin who said Do The PT. Completely correct.

My theory is that the handle on the slot machine works for Range of Motion therapy ... as does the repeated "dig in the purse for more money" action ... lol.

Good luck on July 20 ...

Thank-you all for your well wishes. I will do all the TP and not cheat. I completly torn the supra spinous tendon and infvaspintus (sorry for the spelling).

I tell you have the CC boards really helps too. Can't sleep at night so I get up and read the boards. It is like checking in with old friends. I am finding more and more info on our ports of call and on Volendam. It helps pass the time.

Let me see-- after the surgery I will have even more time to check the boards and read about my up comming cruise. If I have to sit home and do nothig for a few days what a better way to spend it sailing these boards. It will really help the pre-cruise wait.

thanks again,

Geo

Geo, I too wish that your surgery goes well and yes looking forward to a cruise does many wonderful things. Weightloss which leads to better health in eating and exercise preparing for the cruise:D Finances, by learning to budget for multitude of cruises. Education, by reading up on ports to be visited. Typing Skills, my spending many hours on CC and posting messages.(This can also lead to better spelling and grammer);) The best thing of all is Making New Friends.

Gee... this could become a whole new thread....

How cruising has made my Life so much better:)

Geo, again Good Luck and Congratulations on managing to book another cruise.

You may need to move your mouse lower than you're used to ... for a while I had mine on a hardcover book on my lap so I didn't have to reach/stretch. I also used a BIG red-ball mouse which was easier to use with my left hand (I'm a righty, the shoulder replacement was also on the right, so I became left-handed for a few weeks...)

You'll do fine .... just take it easy and do not overdo.

Yeesh, I sound like your mother......

Thanks- you all very much for your kind thoughts. You all really make me feel better. So many of you have had a rough time with your own shoulders.

LAFFNVEGAS,

I don't think that there is any thing that could help my spelling and grammar.

CP556,

I like your Range of Motion therapy . I am going to have to try that. You are right about the reach/stretch with the mouse.

Another good Range of Motion therapy for me might be carrying a Lido tray full of good HAL food. I might have to practice this a couple of times a day!

Thank,

Geo

Archived