New baby on cruise???

AnnaMona

We are taking a cruise in February to get married... and a couple people are expected to have anywhere from 1 month to 6 months... how young is too young? We're cruising on the Caribbean Princess for 7 days. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Minimums, as far as I know...

Carnival - 4 months

Celebrity - No minimum

Costa - No minimum

Cunard - 6 months (up to 1 year on some exotic locales)

Disney - 12 weeks

Holland America - 12 weeks

NCL - 6 months

Princess - 6 months (up to 1 year on some exotic locales)

RCL - No minimum

But you should call the cruise line and verify with them.

Also, that may depend on the parent. We have a very healthy baby that is now a year old, but when he was three months we ended up in the emergency room because he had a fever. I think with babies so little, especially under 6 months, most babies have not had all of their innoculations and are still getting shots/doctors visits every two months. Between flying and then cruising to foreign places, I am not sure their little bodies would have the immunity to deal with some things they encounter, and my husband and I are truly not overprotective parents. Also, it may take mommies more than a month to bounce back, especially if they have surgery. After a C-Section, the doctor advised not to drive for two weeks or go up and down stairs more than once per day! Is that too much information?

I'm sure you have talked to the couples and what do they feel comfortable with? You can give them the minimum age list posted above (great info)...but then they will have to decide if they want to make a choice to cruise with their child during cold/fly season.

I am telling you, my 8 month old was one who caught a virus onboard Disney magic in FEBRUARY 05 and EVERYONE onboard was hacking that week. She stopped breathing, seized and had to be medically evacuated.

So their babies would come into contact with loads of viruses. The medical center was FILLED with kids that were sick. I have never seen anything like it on ANY cruise before or since.

I cruised the first time with my son when he was three months old and it went fine. We did a three night cruise and were never very far from land. There was also a doctor on board in the event of an emergency- which in the case of the seizure mentioned- was a very good thing.

I was at the beach in Maryland (where I live) and it took a good ten minutes for the ambulance to come when my son had a seizure. Thank goodness he was breathing on his own. I was frantic. At least on a ship you would get instant medical help.

But it depends on the baby and what the pediatrician says.

Our DS was 4 months old and we were torn. It ended up great though and the nursery workers treated him like a little prince. He never got sick and was as happy and as good as could be. I would not even consider going without trip insurance with a little one though.

I'm sure you have talked to the couples and what do they feel comfortable with? You can give them the minimum age list posted above (great info)...but then they will have to decide if they want to make a choice to cruise with their child during cold/fly season.

I am telling you, my 8 month old was one who caught a virus onboard Disney magic in FEBRUARY 05 and EVERYONE onboard was hacking that week. She stopped breathing, seized and had to be medically evacuated.

So their babies would come into contact with loads of viruses. The medical center was FILLED with kids that were sick. I have never seen anything like it on ANY cruise before or since.

I wonder if the rate of infectious illnesses is higher on Disney simply because there are more children on those ships....?

We took our 5.5 month old on an RCCL cruise last March and it was GREAT!

It was actually the first time he was able to get and stay healthy, since he was out of daycare for a full week, and wasn't around other sick babies.

Our DS was sleeping thru the night at 7 weeks, and continued to sleep like a rock on the ship, so that helped.

It was great! For the first time in 5.5 months, I wasn't "attending" to my home, someone else was doing the house keeping for me!!!

I wonder if the rate of infectious illnesses is higher on Disney simply because there are more children on those ships....?

You always run the risk of exposing kids to germs and viruses in the kids programs. My son has gotten sick on several cruises and I am sure it was from contacting other sick kids in the youth program. Just a chance you take.

Disney is very sanitary though. They demand that each person uses a hand wipe to clean their hands each and every time they enter the kids program and the dining rooms. This probably does help somewhat.

We didn't get sick on Disney. My son did get norovirus on RCL in April and was very ill on the last day of the cruise and on the trip home.

You always run the risk of exposing kids to germs and viruses in the kids programs. My son has gotten sick on several cruises and I am sure it was from contacting other sick kids in the youth program. Just a chance you take.

Disney is very sanitary though. They demand that each person uses a hand wipe to clean their hands each and every time they enter the kids program and the dining rooms. This probably does help somewhat.

We didn't get sick on Disney. My son did get norovirus on RCL in April and was very ill on the last day of the cruise and on the trip home.

I totally agree! Disney insists on the use of that purell liquid. I've never seen a ship's staff so good with hygiene.

I've never seen so many sick kids on a cruiseship but I REALLY believe it had more to do with the time of year than with the ship itself.

Archived