Cozumel & Progresso in a Wheelchair

pink_peanut

My family and I are scheduled to cruise in Dec, 2007 on the Carnival Ecstasy. We will be in Cozumel on Monday Dec 17, 2007 & progresso on Tuesday Dec 18. My father is in an electric wheelchair. He has no mobility, but he is able to navigate his motorized chair himself. He has a spinal cord injury and moving to a folding chair is not really practical, plus he has a special cushion which he must use. Please let me know if there are vans/taxis available in Cozumel that can transport an individual that does not transfer out of an electric wheelchair. If so, do we need to contact them ahead of time and how? I have tried to google and find a number or email, but have been unsuccessful. My father speaks pretty good spanish, but my mom does not. My husband and I were here in 2003 and I remember having to go up a set of stairs (or ride an escalator up?) and then go past some shops, then go back down to ground level (more stairs or escalator). I think it was the only way we could get accress the street that runs parallel to the beach. Can anyone tell me if there is also an elavator here? My memory is kinda foggy, and if this is going to be a barrier, please let me know. We got along fine in Juarez which is not very accessible (but there were no stairs or escalators - which is impossible for him).

From what i've been able to find, there are no wheelchair accesiible buses servicing the pier in Progresso. Are there shops/restaurants at the ship end, where my parents could go? Which end of the pier is the Cruise terminal on?

Do you have any other recommendations for activites for my parents?

Thanks for your help.

Both my husband and I use electric scooters. We have been to Cozumel many times using the scooters. One good thing that came out of the hurricane that destroyed the piers in Cozumel and Front Street was that they had to be rebuilt. Many more stores are accessible now, the sidewalks and walk ways are much improved. Getting off the ship, if it docks (which I'm sure it will) should not be anymore difficult than boarding the ship. The the dock, that is right in town, if your lucky enough to dock at it, you are right there in town.

As for accessible taxi's or vans, we have not been able to find any when in Cozumel. Electric chairs weigh much more than the scooters and people don't like to take the responsbility of transporting the chairs. Everything on the pier is accessible, outside the pier a lot is accessible, but not everything. Do consider the possibility of having to use a bathroom. Stake one out quickly so you can be prepared. I hope this information helps.

Susan

With ypur description it is Punta Lungusto (sp) pier, yes there is an elevator there.

Yes there are handicapped taxis, ask at taxi stand, I use a manuel in ports tho, don't know for sure if they do power chairs.

I have found 2 pottys that are larger. They aren't perfect but do-able. One is at Hard Rock, the other is at the restauant right in front of the pier that does the ferry runs. It is a very clean place that has their own water system. We have eaten there many times without problems.

Sherry

Archived